• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Detransitioned teen wants to hold 'gender-affirming' surgeons accountable

Ivy

https://www.foxnews.com/media/detransitioned-teen-hold-gender-affirming-surgeons-accountable

Of course considering the source, it's not surprising.

But it's not cool when you consider that half the country gets their "news" from this network almost exclusively.

It's not right to penalize the 98% that don't de-transition over the 2% that do.  They can always find someone if they look hard enough.  But these few are hardly definitive of all trans-people.

• Admin

It doesn't say where this is taking place, but the law team mentioned in it is sensationalist Anti-Trans.  The story source "Fox News" actually bills itself as Entertainment and not actual news in the informative sense.  Merchants of hate.  Hormone blockers do not produce the mental fog the woman is describing as well. 

I gathered from the story that this appeared on Tucker Carlson Tonight. Carlson has a history of being rabidly anti trans, so anything he "reports" (note the quotation marks) on the subject is inherently biased and hateful.

As for the location not being reported, the only reason I can think of is that there is a minor involved, and there may be some sort of regulation involved?

The lawsuit was presented by a firm in California, see link below for the letter of intent

https://www.dhillonlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Letter-of-Intent-Chloe-Cole.pdf

The lawyer appearing on Fox has the following info on her firm's site

https://www.dhillonlaw.com/lawsuits/chloe-cole-v-kaiser-permanente/

On the surface it looks like a medical malpractice case with the Dhillon firm angling to turn it into a class action lawsuit. When it comes to lawyers, my first reaction is it all about money. I presume they shopped the story to FOX because they would present it. I doubt FOX actually changes anyone's views because the people who watch are there to reinforce their view. I feel the same way about CNN or MSNBC.

I don't know if there is any for profit media outlet that does not have a partisan bias anymore. The only thing you say about FOX is they openly acknowledge it.

It is disgusting that politicians whether for or against turn someones tragedy into partisan rhetoric. Politics has no business defining medical treatment. All treatments carry risk and sometimes are incompetent. Sometimes surgeons operate on the wrong limb. We don't consider banning surgery because of these errors.

I believe that we do need to acknowledge that some do de-transition, while not a significant amount, the consequences can be devastating for them. If there is something from these experiences that can used to make treatment and diagnostic improvements, they should be considered by practitioners. Shame on republicans for making this a political issue.

I feel sorry for her... someone didn't do enough thinking before deciding that mastectomy on a teenager was a good idea.  However...I would think that poor decision making is covered under existing laws.  No need for new ones. 

As far as I can tell, most responsible doctors would advise waiting until 18 for elective surgeries, while using reversible hormones and blockers in the meantime. 

The article is not particularly clear on the few points:

- it lists surgeons as most responsible when it should have been therapists to begin with

- or if everything was done on consent basis, then it was the parents making the decision on behalf of minor

4 hours ago, miz miranda said:

On the surface it looks like a medical malpractice case with the Dhillon firm angling to turn it into a class action lawsuit. When it comes to lawyers, my first reaction is it all about money.

Many years ago I read a Sci-Fi novel (wish I could remember the title) that had April Fool's Day as a public holiday where it was legal to shoot lawyers with impunity. After reading the article, I'm becoming convinced that this may be a good idea...

THAT WAS INTENDED AS A JOKE, NOT AN ACTUAL OPINION!

• Admin
1 hour ago, Marcie Jensen said:

Many years ago I read a Sci-Fi novel (wish I could remember the title) that had April Fool's Day as a public holiday where it was legal to shoot lawyers with impunity.

I read the same satire probably when it first came out.  I actually have a law degree but never went into law practice, but over the years have bested many of the ones who do practice law.  Variations of the joke have been around since before our time.  Out here in CA, our version is "What are 1000 lawyers dropped into the Catalina Channel (which is about 1K feet deep)??  Answer: "A good start!" 

On the other side though are the six Trans Friends of mine who are practicing law and doing a wonderful job for the Trans and Cis communities. Not to mention a Trans Judge whom I have met several times. 

6 hours ago, Katie23 said:

If the information was reported in a fair manner by a news agency that actually had some track record of validity, I would give it some credence. 

It doesn't exist on TV.  TV is driven by ratings, so it has to be sensational.  It is a hyperactive version of the old newspaper saying "if it bleeds, it leads.". TV, especially cable, is a dying method of communication.  The farther the networks crawl into the grave, the more histrionic they get.  

Frankly, I dislike video for news, even online.  Let me read an article and I can sift through the crap in 5 minutes and form my own view instead of listening to some talking head. 

6 hours ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

Let me read an article and I can sift through the crap in 5 minutes and form my own view instead of listening to some talking head. 

I get news mostly online these days.  But I look at a number of sources so I can compare.

One thing that bothers me is how opinion pieces get mixed in with the news articles.  If you're not paying attention it's easy to get mixed up.

You're right about the sensationalist click-bate headlines.  It is driven by clicks and ratings.  High ratings give ad revenue.  It becomes profit over truth.