• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Greetings from the UK!

Thea Sempere

Hi, may I introduce myself?  I am Thea and live in the South of England. I am hoping to learn from the wisdom of other Trans people and hopefully make friends as I travel along this strange path!

I was born a male 62 yes ago and had a lovely upbringing. However I found I wanted to wear girls clothes from the age of 10, and always found it easier to identify and get on with women than men.  At uni I had many friends who were girls who never saw me as a boyfriend, but after two very superficial brief relationships, meet the woman who has been my wife for 35 years.  Our relationship had been brilliant except in terms of sexual intimacy; but I needed to dress like a woman when I could, always secretly, and soon realised it was the feeling of being female that was far  more important than the clothes. I thought I did a great job hiding it, but gradually it became impossible to keep it suppressed inside, and just months ago I came out to my wife.  She told me she had suspected since we first met: thus recognising it many years before I did!  It hasn't been good since then though and she has really struggled. My mental health has had ups and downs, but I have really benefited from mentoring, and "came out" to myself as a trans woman just recently. I really need help with everything; from balancing my presentation, helping my wife, to dealing with razor burn! It is so helpful to communicate  though as my true self, Thea, and I hope I might find  opportunities here!

Love and best wishes to all those on our journey and possible friends to be!

Hugs Thea.

• Root Admin

Welcome to the forums @Thea Sempereand congrats on coming out to your wife. I do hope that you can work things out so that you continue to live and love each other.

Welcome Thea! Glad you're here! Love your name! I relate to much of your story. After almost two years of exploring & accepting who I am, a year living openly as me & eight months on HRT life isn't peachy in respect to family relations, but I've not felt such a wonderful balance between mind & body since the age of ten. I love it! I hope you find the wonderful support, advice & acceptance here as I have.

Hugs!

Delcina 

On 11/23/2022 at 5:11 AM, Thea Sempere said:

It hasn't been good since then though and she has really struggled.

Welcome, @Thea Sempere!  It often is difficult for our spouses.  Within about two months of coming out, my spouse and I attended joint therapy sessions together with an experienced gender therapist.  This helped greatly with her understanding of my struggles with dysphoria, and with my understanding of how important it is to keep lines of communication open with her.  We're in this journey together.  The sessions weren't covered by insurance, but were worth every penny.  

There are a number of UK-based folks here who can offer advice about navigating the NHS vs. private care. 

Good luck on the journey ahead!  All the best,

Astrid

Dear Astrid and all those who have read my post: thank you so much for your welcome and taking the time to reply. The suggestion about couples therapy is particularly welcome; I'd wondered about this, but thanks to your encouragement might try and persuade my wife to think about it. Thanks again! Thea