• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Wall Load Of Acceptance

VickySGV

• Admin

I am on the Board of Directors of an LGBTQ Center in the area I live.  We recently dedicated and opened an actual physical Center room in a City Park recreation facility where we have a five year, minimal cost lease from that city.  The City WANTS us in their community which may seem strange in today's political life.  Our Center serves 33 small cities and communities in the eastern part of Los Angeles County, CA and at our dedication of the space, we had official representatives of 15 of those cities / communities and had been sent another 10 congratulatory letters, and even a plaque from our State Representative and County Supervisor who is over the area.  Those items have now been mounted on our Center's wall.  I am one of the three Trans/Enby members on our Board and have attended City Council meetings and private conferences with elected officials.  Nothing big really as some would see it, these people are just people trying to do a job, but they are known as members of their communities and are respected.  They KNOW a Trans Person IRL (me) and as such have a personal feeling and recognition of my humanity and valuable place in their areas of influence.  We serve their communities by being a source of information about some of the recent turmoil and having health resources on hand or only a phone call away at worst, and we do have County Health and Mental Health resources we can contact.  OK, so my state does not have restrictions on Health and Mental Health for Trans people like others do which is an advantage to us, but still we show it can be done, and do support our other LGBTQ siblings wherever they are.  I am real, I an not a "bot" but I did look at a wall that says we do have support even in these times. 

• Admin

Congrats and thank you, @VickySGV.  What you and your colleagues have done is important and appreciated, not only for the services you'll provide to trans folk in the area, but also because you've opened doors to understanding and support from local elected officials.  Thanks for your service to our community.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Thank you for your service Vicky.  Itviswonderful to know there is such support in some areas off this country.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

We had one of our first Post Pandemic in-person recurring events last night called Gayme Night.  Folks bring their favorite board games and play them together.  We had done this Pre-pandemic at another site.  The number of people there was only 10, but while am not a game player (my attention span for games is nanoseconds) I was not the oldest there and the youngest was in their early 20's.  About 1/3 each, Gay, Lesbian, Trans/Enby.  If a Cis/Het person wanted to join the fun and friendship, they would be welcome as well.