• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What was your recovery time from surgeries, and how close together can they be?

Louise B

I am contemplating a surgery schedule for next year and am curious how close together the surgeries can be scheduled.  If you had surgeries...bottom, top, FFS and/or feminine body contouring...how much time do you feel you would have needed, at a minimum, to recover from each of these before you could undertake the next one?  For example, besides recovery from bottom surgery itself, how soon could you undertake another surgery (and its recovery period) while still in intensive dilation protocol?  Which surgeries could you see as being more compatible in terms of sequence?

I ask this because I might have suitable insurance for only one calendar year, and need to figure out what I can reasonably accomplish in a 12-month time frame.  Although FFS is likely first, the others are flexible on sequencing.

• Admin

There is no 'one size fits all" here.  It will depend on what the surgeon(s) think is prudent in your individual case.  Some surgeries can be done at the same time if the surgeon can do them. I had a person in the next hospital room who had GCS and a Tracheal Shave done at the same time.  There are people I know who have had FFS done at the same time as GCS, mostly over in Thailand.  It will depend on your general health, such as Hypertension, blood clotting, diabetes and similar things your doctors need to evaluate.  Start with your Primary Care Physician and see what they recommend for you.  All of the things I mentioned there affect healing time.  As for me personally, it was 8 months healing from GCS which was well in what is considered optimal, before I was out of any real healing pattern for Bottom Surgery.  I have only had the one, and it was enough for me to be me.

I agree with Vicky. Some people do so well after one and some not so much. I had unexpected complications after GCS and it created a LONG recovery process. My breast augmentation I felt fine after. I am planning my FFS now, so I know it will just depend on type of procedures done, etc.