• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Conundrum?

Rianon

How many of us remember –– or perhaps read –– Jan Morris's Conundrum, published between the last two Ice Ages (aka, the early 1970s)? The book called quite a divide between, on the one hand, many highly articulate cis women who felt that Morris, dazzled by her new life as a post-op woman, had trivialized women, and, on the other hand, those of us who were desperate to keep our femininity tightly closeted and yet were hungry for the real-life stories of others just like us. I've several copies of Conundrum on my bookshelf, each copy over the years well-read by friends. ––Rianon

I sat in numerous libraries around the the State reading Conundrum as well as Nancy Hunt's book Mirror Image because I was to afraid to check it out as someone might learn my secret. Both books made me realize that being who one should be was possible if you had the courage to do so.It took me 35 years to find the help, and the courage to do so. Will always be thankful for all the ladies who have written there stories of transition.

8 minutes ago, claire1000 said:

I sat in numerous libraries around the the State reading Conundrum as well as Nancy Hunt's book Mirror Image because I was to afraid to check it out as someone might learn my secret.

Hi, Claire. I had a similar experience, reading these "special" books in libraries and bookstores, always looking over my shoulder to see who might be watching me. I reread Conundrum only a few months ago. Yes, in some places it seemed dated, a bit "quaint," but oh my, Morris writes so gorgeously! I'd been searching around here looking for her follow-up trans memoir, Pleasures of a Tangled Life, but appear to have lent my only copy of that one and never gotten it back. I've a fresh copy on its way. Thank goodness for online indie bookstores! ––Rianon 

• Forum Moderator

I have never read "The Pleasures of a Tangled Life".  It now goes on my wish list.  I've loved her work.

Hugs,

Charlize

1 minute ago, Charlize said:

I have never read "The Pleasures of a Tangled Life".  It now goes on my wish list.  I've loved her work.

Hugs,

Charlize

She was an extraordinary woman. I'm charmed to say that I was one of the many thousands who enjoyed an infrequent correspondence, from the days of my shy coming out –– and Jan had not yet grown weary of talking about her trans experience –– until only a year or so before her death, when Jan had become too frail to continue corresponding, especially with folks like me whom she hardly knew..