• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Lizzo fills the stage with drag queens in a glittery protest

Davie

In a concert Friday night in Knoxville, Tennessee, Lizzo filled the stage with drag queens in a glittery protest against the state’s legislation designed to restrict drag performances in public.

While performing at Thompson-Boling Arena, the Grammy-winning “Juice” singer brought out a number of drag performers, including Aquaria, Kandy Muse, Asia O’Hara and Vanessa Vanji. On Saturday, Lizzo posted videos on Instagram from the show, including comments to the crowd that referenced the pending law.

https://apnews.com/article/lizzo-tennessee-drag-queens-c73bc8f777b28148dea90a3cca347701

https://storage.googleapis.com/afs-prod/media/b8c59945e70046e6884110f6652b3847/1000.webp

• Admin

Pun intended, but she sure Dragged that one into the spotlights.  

• Forum Moderator

I understand that the law in question has not been proclaimed yet (yay!), so this was not technically civil disobedience.  But it will take massive civil disobedience to fight these laws. 

Events like this, after the laws come into effect, are about the only way to effectively protest.  Calling the @#$%-s names won't help, and armed reprisals will do more harm than good.

• Forum Moderator

I don't do drag but these laws make it seem like a good idea to give it a shot.  In my case itv would be "granny drag".

Hugs,

Charlize

Not civil disobedience yet, but a pattern for how it could be done.  The more I learn about her, the more I kinda like her - she's controversial at times, but seems like a really neat person.  I definitely respect her for blending classical techniques, rap, and hip-hop - so unique!