• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Looking for a more female voice

SydneyAngel

Hello 

I think its about time to start working on my voice. Is voice training the best ? and ideas how to go forward ? Does in surance cover ? 

• Forum Moderator

This is a great question Sydneyblue, I'll be following it for my own voice training search.

Hugs,

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

I've been trying and measuring using the VoicePitch app - it gives you some text to read and then a result - I sit sub 100 which 

is on the extreme male side. So a lot of practice needed.

Rob

I took two classes with a friend who's a speech therapist and trans and wants to eventually develop a program. (The two classes were just a free test run with some of his friends.) I learned a few interesting things. One thing I learned is that speaking in the front of the mouth produces a more feminine sound, the middle a more neutral sound, and the back a more masculine sound. Also, always include your lungs and diaphragm when you speak and never strain or force your voice. He said ten minutes practicing consistently daily produces more results than an hour every few days. He recommended a free book. If I can find it, I post the title. Maybe The Trans Voice Book, but I have to check.

I definitely have to work on my speech. I'm hoping that in a month to sound more feminine. One of the first surgeries I'm saving up for is shaving of the trach and I might look into vocal cords too as long as they are in there already I don't think that it would be too bad. 

People say voice training is the answer as long as you work at it. Therapists I have heard presentations from say they do  have a way of getting insurance companies to cover it even if they balk at the start, but no guarantees. 

And it's definitely not all about pitch. 

2 hours ago, Ashley0616 said:

I definitely have to work on my speech. I'm hoping that in a month to sound more feminine. One of the first surgeries I'm saving up for is shaving of the trach and I might look into vocal cords too as long as they are in there already I don't think that it would be too bad. 

I was think about voice surgery also but very skeptical about. I knew someone that had it done. There voice sound good but scratchy 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Sydney,

I use a voice therapist but Christella's VoiceUp App is a really good starting point. I still find myself using it a lot especially out on walks, going back over the exercises and training.

xx

Hi to all definitely therapist do great job and the most important is to speak allways feminine voice is a same thing learning foreign languages have to speak inside outside that thing tell me my voice therapist also my special surgeon and when i finish i send you all of you a clip with my voice good night here what ever there i wish the best for all of as!

On 5/3/2023 at 4:12 PM, Sydneyblue said:

Hello 

I think its about time to start working on my voice. Is voice training the best ? and ideas how to go forward ? Does in surance cover ? 

There are a couple of apps that are good. Speaking of which I just had my first session with my speech therapist. Didn't really get to do much but it'll happen next Monday. She recommended an app called "Voice Tools." You practice the sentence and it will show your pitch. I have used it a couple times. Of course a therapist is still going to be better. Will insurance cover it? It depends on if you can show how you really need it. One insurance company might and another might not. There are really no "yes" or "no" answers for that. Sorry I wished I could be of more help. 

@Ashley0616 I downloaded the voice tools app out of curiosity. Spoke with my best female voice into it and analyzed it. According to the app I do fairly well. According to the public, I don't know. I do pass as female 9 out of 10 times when out and about. Friends have told me I normally sound kind of Neutral.      Screenshot_20230603-054224.png.25c23a0e812e680735b42f30055a8098.png