• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Possible Risk for HRT

Hi all, I'm feeling a little worried. I tested positive for Factor 5 Leiden, which is a genetic predisposition which increases risk of blood clotting. Thankfully it is heterozygous, which only increases my risk by an average of 6-8 times (as opposed to homozygous, which increases the chances up to 80 times). However, HRT MtF is a risk factor. 

I am not overweight, I am healthy, I get exercise, I have never smoked or drank, and I have none of the other noted risk factors, thankfully.

However, there is now a potential risk, and suddenly "what I want in order to get the body I want" and "what is safest for me" are not totally the same thing. I am almost certain that I will proceed after discussing options with my endocrinologist, but I wanted to know if any others had experiences like this, or if I could get some encouragement or advice. It's scary, but when I think about how much I don't want to look or be "male," I don't think I could be happy with anything less. 

• Admin

@Jo Er, I totally understand your anxiety about this.  But as we always point out to folks starting on this journey, HRT is serious medicine, and involves risk, as does virtually all prescription (or even non-prescription) drugs.  It comes down to risk vs. reward, and how much risk is "acceptable" to you.  That is a question none of us can answer.  I'm glad that you've been talking to your endocrinologist.

I can and do encourage you to consider all the facts, all the risks, and what you're comfortable with.  What I can't do is offer advice.  It is a very personal decision, and only you know what is best for you.  I wish you luck.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

As one who did get a blood clot via oral HRT, and is now doing fine with patches, but with blood thinners that bring my prothrombin time up enough to avoid new clots, life is good and the "ineffective dose" by many peoples claims has done me just fine over the last 14 years.  Your Endocrinologist will weigh the benefits to you over the risk of harm with all known risk factors taken into account which is the desired standard for all medical care.  There are also other methods of hormonal delivery that also decrease the potential conflicts with your blood clotting potential and risk of other things as nasty.  Your concern will help you ask your Endocrinologist enough of  the right questions.  There are more possibilities to help you arrive where you would like to be, and many people who have fulfilled their identity goals even without HRT.

• 1 month later...

I am on thinners post heart attack and stent, as my doctors are very worried about potential for clots, even though I have no history or other risk factors. I queried this with my cardiologist why they thought my chance of having a clot is higher now than it was for the past 68 years, and she couldn't really answer this, just saying that the result of a clot could be fatal. When I started HRT in 2019 I did some research into risks, and have mostly avoided oral medications. I found a paper by the University of California San Francisco which focuses on HRT and thrombosis. They quote background incidences of clots as 1 in 10,000, so even multiplying this by 8 times, it equates to a .008% risk. I have used this to consider my own risks for HRT and I am comfortable with my dose. 

https://transcare.ucsf.edu/guidelines/feminizing-hormone-therapy?fbclid=IwAR0WqsWfbG-7ZKCWsOUzL-Nl3tYjxewEepCT3Yq0pjvYEVfNi6yvizv_MKU

Hugs,

Allie