• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trans Patients Being Dropped As Florida Law Bans "Up To 80%" Of Adult Gender Affirming Care

Ivy

How long until being transgender, either as a resident or a visitor, will be illegal in the state of Florida?

I'm not sure they can do that directly.  But what do I know?  

Maybe that is next, the camps and all…

• Forum Moderator
31 minutes ago, Ivy said:

They can do anything they want until someone stops them.  Little details like constitutionality mean nothing to them.

That is why actions like that school supervisor in North Dakota refusing to obey the new law are important.  Refusing to obey, and being willing to go to trial and defend doing so, is one way to stop them.

34 minutes ago, Ivy said:

They would probably backdoor it, but I could see them making it illegal for transgender women to use all public restrooms (they've started on that already), to have the gender marker changed on their license, on their birth certificate, and even to present themselves in a way that doesn't match their birth gender.  Texas has already started on that one.

I don't know how they are going to enforce it of course, especially for those of us who have undergone the SRS and had our paperwork changed already.  But I promise they are going to do everything they can to make it difficult for transgender people to just exist in states like Florida and Texas.

• Admin
41 minutes ago, Allison_Marie said:

I don't know how they are going to enforce it of course, especially for those of us who have undergone the SRS and had our paperwork changed already. 

Luckily for us in CA, it would take a petition directly to the State Supreme Court to unlock our corrected birth certificates to a foreign state or even our own state courts, and a recent law here is that we do not allow our courts to enforce foreign state warrants regarding Trans and Female Body Medical choices.  I am sad it has come to that, but except for the Congressional District that the House Majority Leader comes from, most of the large counties are welcoming.

1 hour ago, VickySGV said:

Luckily for us in CA, it would take a petition directly to the State Supreme Court to unlock our corrected birth certificates to a foreign state or even our own state courts, and a recent law here is that we do not allow our courts to enforce foreign state warrants regarding Trans and Female Body Medical choices.  I am sad it has come to that, but except for the Congressional District that the House Majority Leader comes from, most of the large counties are welcoming.

We are so lucky to live in a state like California, aren't we Vicky?  I feel really bad for those in states like Florida and Texas and some other red states that have started these shenanigans lately.  They really are after our rights to just exist at this point.

• Forum Moderator

No fear....it will all be under water as the icecaps melt.  Seriously these folks are dangerous. 

Hugs,

Charlize

More fun in Florida

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/05/florida-gov-ron-desantis-signs-bill-legalizing-anti-lgbtq-medical-discrimination/

"The law allows any medical provider — including doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers, pharmacists, mental health professionals, lab technicians, nursing home workers, and hospital administrators — as well as insurance companies and payment entities, the right to deny care on the basis of any conscientious objection. This care can include refusing to conduct research and recordkeeping or denying medical tests, diagnoses, referrals, medications, and therapy, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) notes."

Looks like they've pretty much got it covered here.

Just thought I'd jump in here as I do have connections to Florida largely through my wife (who is post-op).

We were married in Florida in 2003 and we both have concerns about DeSantis going after our marriage license, though I also assume our current state (Maryland) would not allow another state to nullify our legal marriage.

But if we ever go to Florida again (her parents are there), can an emergency room deny her care?  Right now you'd have to dig pretty deep into her records to find out she is transgender, but I could also see people like DeSantis making the effort to make it easier to identify who is transgender.

I know this might be overreacting, but she also worries Florida especially will do everything they can to make life difficult for those who are in the transgender community.

Brent

• Admin
53 minutes ago, BrentC70 said:

But if we ever go to Florida again (her parents are there), can an emergency room deny her care?  Right now you'd have to dig pretty deep into her records to find out she is transgender, but I could also see people like DeSantis making the effort to make it easier to identify who is transgender.

Your best bet on this would be the legal organization that I mentioned in your other post, https://transgenderlegal.org/ to advise you on possible legal problems that way.  Being post op  myself, there are no longer any real "Trans" medical issues for me, just little things like Diabetes which is across all genders, along with high blood pressure et al.  Medical ethics in a secular hospital will eclipse "personal religious beliefs" in all but a very few hospitals where you might go in an emergency.  The governor down there is assuming that all medical personnel H8 Trans people the way he does (or at least says he does) when current medical schools are doing their best to train that out of new medical graduates.

Thanks Vicky.  I guess we are just trying to figure out how far DeSantis can go with his hatred.  

I'm surprised he has so much power.  He seems more like a dictator than a governor.  He just dismisses local officials and appoints his own people in their place. Florida is stating to sound like the 3rd Reich.

The idea of him becoming president is terrifying.

Is there any way I can change the record of which state I was born in?  I am so ashamed to be associated with the state where I grew up in any way!

I doubt that.  

But what DeSantis and his lackeys are doing has nothing to do with you.  The fact that you no longer live there speaks for itself.

• Admin
2 hours ago, MrsAmy said:

Is there any way I can change the record of which state I was born in?  I am so ashamed to be associated with the state where I grew up in any way!

I am sad to say (from having worked with Trans legal providers) that there is no way to change your state of birth, If you are now a legal resident of your current state and they give you a U.S. Interstate Real I.D. Card then no one else needs to be told of your past.  On the other side, I am in touch with activists there in FL who are really going to upend their politics into something all of us can be proud of. It will take a little time, but RDeS has an ego that will hang him out to dry or shove him into one of the swamps big time.

damn... I think the only course of action is to quarantine Florida, before they actually start a trans-aimed holocaust clone.

3 hours ago, MrsAmy said:

It's purely an accident of birth, Amy.  I used to think it a funny joke to say "I was born in the South--South Dakota!"  But the people who run things where I was born are no less ignorant and bigoted than the people running the states in the Deep South.  The best thing we can do is leave--if we are fortunate enough to have the means to do so, and stay the hell away from places like that.  I just feel sorry for the ones who can't get out and the ones who have no choice about being there (like children and adolescents).

My parents are both still in Florida, though both are largely retired.  But they are seriously talking about leaving now that DeSantis has gone full steam ahead with his anti-trans bigotry.  They have always been 100% supportive of my transition.

I appreciate everyone's good advice.

Desantis is not Florida. He does not speak for all Floridians. I was born in Florida. I am not ashamed of where I was born for one because I had no control over that & secondly because Florida, a largely subtropical peninsular land mass, is not anthropomorphically criminal. I live in Florida. I'm not ashamed to live in Florida. I like the weather. It's beautiful here. There are lots of beautiful queer people who live here as well as a deeply richly diverse population. DeSantis is not Florida culture. It is indeed increasingly scary living here because of the tyranny of DeSantis. And if you've ever actually seriously considered uprooting your life to move to another state because of political oppression or impending climate disaster, you'd realize it's not so simple. If you pray, pray for the people of Florida instead of shaming the entire state or willing it to go away. 

22 minutes ago, Vidanjali said:

If you pray, pray for the people of Florida instead of shaming the entire state or willing it to go away. 

I get this.  Here in NC one party has gotten into power, and used that to cement their control for the near future.  The state is much more diverse than you would think from its current politics.

26 minutes ago, Vidanjali said:

And if you've ever actually seriously considered uprooting your life to move to another state because of political oppression…

I don't think I could leave here myself.  I guess I'll just try to ride it out and hope for better times, if it comes to that point.

DeSantis is Florida now, like it or not.

I was born there, grew up there, got married there, and my parents still live there.  I don't want to go back because as a transgender woman, I am a lesser person there.

Can I use a woman's restroom there?  They are going after that right.  If I have a medical emergency, can they refuse to care for me?  I doubt they'd know I was transgender but because my birth and name change records are in that state, who knows?  Can they nullify my marriage?  My name change?  Probably not, but if DeSantis can, he will.  Just watch.

My parents are actively talking about moving to a more rights-protecting state this year, after living there all their lives.  I know there are still good people there, but Florida is becoming a very hostile place to live for us, for those who are gay, for teachers, for kids, for women, and for anybody who speaks up in any way against the Governor (like Disney).

My parents have already related how tough it is to just move out of a state after living there for over 70 years, but enough is enough.  I expect them out of the state by the end of summer.

This is an example of how wrong our political system has become.  There was a time when elected officials, in spite of their party leanings, governed and legislated for the greater good.  Now, political office is nothing more than a bully pulpit to force personal views on all of us.  Desantis does have a following but like so many from the fringes, it is a small following.

Hopefully, we can find a non violent way to take our government back from the extremists.