• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How a Few Stories of Regret Fuel the Push to Restrict Gender Transition Care

Ivy

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/16/us/politics/transgender-care-detransitioners.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

They don’t really care,” said Chelsea Freels, 17, a transgender high school student in Missouri who testified at legislative hearings there to oppose bills that Ms. Cole supported. Ms. Freels says hormone therapy has helped her thrive. She is more comfortable socially and deeply involved on the robotics team. But she says Republican lawmakers look away when she tells them this story.

“They’re on their phones,” she said in an interview. The Missouri legislature last week passed a ban on transition care for transgender youth."

"Before long, Ms. Shupe, a 59-year-old Army veteran, was enmeshed in what she calls a “spider web” of activists opposing transgender rights.

“I had no limits on how far I would go to please people and help them win,” she said. “At every turn, I had people heaping praise on me, which motivated me to do more and more.”

But last year, she reaffirmed her female identity and returned to living as a woman. She renounced her work with conservative groups and, this year, gave hundreds of her emails with her former allies to The Times and other news outlets."

The small percentage of de-transitioners get all the exposure.  And some of them re-transition.

In a related matter, when I contacted my state senator (R) to oppose an anti-trans bill, the reply was a link to one of these detransition videos.  I won't waste any more time on him.  He's made up his mind and doesn't want to be confused with facts.

• Admin

One rotten egg in a single hen house and they close the entire poultry industry down from top to bottom.  At least that is the way it seems to me. 

• Admin

Whatever fits their narrative is what they cite, and whatever doesn't fit is ignored or ridiculed.  That is their playbook, and, credit where credit is due, they do know how to stick to their playbook, come what may.  That is one thing they surely learned from watching #45.

Carolyn Marie

I think statistics can be important in developing a balanced perspective.  Yeah, regrets happen.  But there are people who have buyer's remorse for all sorts of things.  This includes medical cosmetic things such as Botox or breast implants.  And we don't see major efforts to make those illegal.  In general, I don't believe that facts or logic support the anti-liberty agendas of both halves of our political elite.