• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Fed Judge Blocks Suit By TN-Born Trans Folk To Allow Birth Cert Gender Change

Carolyn Marie

They just want to make our lives as difficult as possible to keep us in the closet.

Some of the new anti-trans laws specify the "Original Birth Certificate" so I'm not sure what would happen if you presented a "corrected" one.  I suspect the original would still exist.somewhere. 

I have sent off for a "corrected" one from NY State.  As far as I know that's not a specific problem with them, but it will take months for me to actually get it, assuming I filled out the paperwork right.

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Ivy said:

I'm not sure what would happen if you presented a "corrected" one.  I suspect the original would still exist.somewhere. 

It depends on the issuing jurisdiction.  But generally, the birth certificate is certifying that it is a copy of an entry in a register of births.  That register is a physical document that exists in an archive somewhere.  It does not get deleted, ever.

When I changed my UK birth certificate, they were very clear that the birth register would always exist, showing the original data.  It was, however, closed to casual inquiries (including, I was led to believe) inquiries from law enforcement agencies.  Only archivists and historians would have access to it.

My amended birth certificate also claims to be a copy of an entry in the register of births.  But it refers to a different entry, the one amending the original. 

• Forum Moderator

I can’t help but think it will get better as these nasty folks slide away.  At least I hope so.  In the meantime I almost feel sorry for them and I know I won’t be voting for any GOP candidates .

Hugs,

Charlize