• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

TRANSGENDER RELATED | Star Trek: Strange New Worlds | S2 E2: Ad Astra Per Aspera

Susan R

• Forum Moderator

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Episode S2 E2: Ad Astra Per Aspera

IMG_4002.jpeg 

Last night, I watched the most current available episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds | Episode S2 E2: Ad Astra Per Aspera which is Latin for the English phrase, "to the stars through difficulty". This was one of the highest rated episodes of this series (IMDB 8.8)  and IMHO it deserves this high rating. It is one of the most well written episodes I’ve seen. The entire episode uses analogy and metaphor to tackle some of the most heated and divided topics in our current political landscape dealing with the rights, expectations and the freedom (or lack there of) to express one’s true authentic self.

Without giving up too much of the details, let me just say the writers did a wonderful job of painting the picture of what it’s like living as a marginalized individual in this episode and logically pointing out some of the accepted yet unfair consequences of this. The story illustrates this through the eyes of a genetically modified commander serving within StarFleet where their specific genetic modification has been outlawed….regardless of whether or not the modification was done at birth without the consent of said individual. The arguments on both sides are compelling but the ending is absolutely fabulous.

NOTE: The entire first season of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is free but sadly, season 2 is only available with a premium subscription to Paramount+.

Episode aired: Jun 22, 2023 57m

Synopsis: Commander Una Chin-Riley faces court martial, imprisonment and dishonorable discharge from Starfleet.

The reviews are very good and one article in particular mentions what this series is doing.

https://www.vulture.com  << Spoiler Alert

It also continues Strange New World’s willingness to draw parallels between current issues and its 23rd-century world.”

• Root Admin

Thank you @Susan R for the update, if this series ever crosses the pond (onto free view) I’ll be sure to catch it. Unfortunately, as you say, it’s only available for yet another monthly fee, on top of Sky, Netflix, Apple TV, Disney+ etc etc. 

3 hours ago, Susan R said:

It also continues Strange New World’s willingness to draw parallels between current issues and its 23rd-century world.”

Like almost all of the rest of the Star Trek series starting back in the 60s!

• Admin

I saw the episode yesterday, and I completely agree with you @Susan RI even considered posting about it.  It was wonderfully done, although I have to admit that I've never been fond of the few "courtroom drama" style episodes they've done since the original series.

The points made via metaphor were right on target.  I think most Star Trek fans will be supportive of their PoV. 

Carolyn Marie