• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Legal organization for trans?

Maddee

Iim wondering if I could contact aclu or other legal organization.  

it’s not my idea, but it’s being suggested to me. Maybe someone here knows more??

I was recently terminated from my job at a major global corporation named after a giant tropical river basin. .  I had been there since 2020 with perfect attendance, top performance, and zero writeups or warnings prior to this. 

I had been suspended  after an incident where I smashed a handheld plastic device and a shelf.  This occurred within 24 hr hours of taking a dramatically increased HRT dose as directed by my Dr.  There were particularly unsafe conditions imposed on my workstation by new managers that day that also contributed to this.      My HRT Dr, my counselor, and my pt physical therapist all immediately reached out to HR on my behalf but never got a response.  

After a couple weeks of indefinite suspension, I submitted my request for medical leave of absence for my upcoming secondary vaginoplasty.  

I was terminated within hours of submitting my request.  

Some folks have suggested I pursue some legal action towards a settlement  saying it’s discrimination.  The thought makes me cringe a little but I’m in this spot. 

Appreciate any responses from people with information pertinent to my situation.  Thank you. 

I'm so sorry, Maddee! I would start by filing a complaint with the EEOC first. You may also be able to file a complaint with the Department of Labor. And, I would send a carbon copy of your EEOC complaint to the ACLU. ACLU might not bite, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Here's a link to the EEOC page on filing a complaint. EEOC Discrimination Complaint Info

You could also check with your local/State Labor Relations agency, if your State has one.

Let me think about this a bit more and see what else I can think of.

💕

Thank you both for the info.  
I have followed the links, applied, and even got a response from trans legal  They take on cases that will establish legal precedents. 

My former employer is one of the best for providing trans medical coverage.  

I’m not sure if  I should litigate some precedent against them!!

I’ve received so much.
it is amazing I lasted this long.

It’s a place where they will use any reason to get someone out of the building, if they want to.  
Some people get tired of having to be “fake nice” to you due to corporate policy.  I finally gave them a good reason to get rid of me.  Until last week I’ve given them no other offense but my presence. 

Maddee,

You earned and are entitled to every bit of care you were provided.

I would suggest not making any decisions until you hear back from the various entities. From what I read on the EEOC page, they will contact you personally to gather more info and then offer advice - and even if they don't recommend it, you always have the right to file a formal complaint. 

Hang in there, my friend.

@April Marie

thank you for the EEOC  link.  I completed their process to schedule an appt.  But it appears they have no appointments available within the 180 day limit for filing the claim.  
Maybe they’ll contact me personally as you say.  😊

I’m moving forward not looking back. 
While following up on things like this as they come up.  
But keep walking ahead!

Towards what I myself can do for me and the world around.  

As I am now. 

@Maddee

Here is a link to the Milwaukee EEOC office. There's a number you can call. They might be able to intercede or to at least give you some guidance on the process.

Milwaukee EEOC Office

Have you thought about contacting your State/Federal Legislators? Your former company isn't popular right now and, perhaps, one of your legislators might be willing to take a swing at them for you.

Thanks April Marie.  That is the same site and office.  If they call, great!  If it’s a closed door, no worries I’ll keep walking!

Calling my state legislator to take a swing at my former employer is beyond my mind. 

thank you for this info.   When my neighbors said I should sue for discrimination I figured I’d ask here. 

I can’t believe how much in news and world trans are.  It’s like I died. 

1 hour ago, Maddee said:

@April Marie

thank you for the EEOC  link.  I completed their process to schedule an appt.  But it appears they have no appointments available within the 180 day limit for filing the claim.  
Maybe they’ll contact me personally as you say.  😊

I’m moving forward not looking back. 
While following up on things like this as they come up.  
But keep walking ahead!

Towards what I myself can do for me and the world around.  

As I am now. 

Maybe I should try. 
mom already being rejected for jobs because the companies are owned by corporations that my former employer owns 

I’ve been banned from employment for life for any workplace owned or controlled by this mega corp.  

Because I had two bad minutes. 

I’m still the all time producer in their building and they knew I was getting blacklisted for life the way they fired me. 

They expect that you will not fight. I am in no position to tell you what to do but it seems to me that you are a fighter.  I would at least see what EEOC and the Federal and State departments of labor say.

• 3 months later...
On 6/26/2023 at 8:19 AM, Maddee said:

Iim wondering if I could contact aclu or other legal organization.  

it’s not my idea, but it’s being suggested to me. Maybe someone here knows more??

I was recently terminated from my job at a major global corporation named after a giant tropical river basin. .  I had been there since 2020 with perfect attendance, top performance, and zero writeups or warnings prior to this. 

I had been suspended  after an incident where I smashed a handheld plastic device and a shelf.  This occurred within 24 hr hours of taking a dramatically increased HRT dose as directed by my Dr.  There were particularly unsafe conditions imposed on my workstation by new managers that day that also contributed to this.      My HRT Dr, my counselor, and my pt physical therapist all immediately reached out to HR on my behalf but never got a response.  

After a couple weeks of indefinite suspension, I submitted my request for medical leave of absence for my upcoming secondary vaginoplasty.  

I was terminated within hours of submitting my request.  

Some folks have suggested I pursue some legal action towards a settlement  saying it’s discrimination.  The thought makes me cringe a little but I’m in this spot. 

Appreciate any responses from people with information pertinent to my situation.  Thank you. 

I just joined this website, so I hope you found your help, but if not, and if there are others reading this who need help, there is also Lambda Legal and there may be organizations in your state to guide you in the right direction. For example, there is the LGBT Bar Association of Wisconsin (I don't know anything about them).

Thank you @emeraldmountain
Welcome to the forum!

You know, It really isn’t in me to pursue anything politically litigious like that.  
My life moves forward. 

I was very lucky to have gotten what I got through that employments insurance.  Even though I was fired when the surgery was approved, I was able to continue the coverage through cobra long enough to get the operation.

It was great experience working that job presenting from day one as a female in a warehouse of coworkers.    
Hopefully learned some hard lessons to help each next time. 

On 6/26/2023 at 4:27 PM, Maddee said:

Thank you for the welcome, Maddee. I am glad to hear that your life moves forward.

• Admin

The Transgender Law Center is another potential resource.  They are based in NYC but take cases from around the country.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin
1 hour ago, Carolyn Marie said:

They are based in NYC

Have they moved from San Francisco?? 

I know that Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund (TLDEF) is in New York and has covered the east coast with name change representation and housing issues.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, VickySGV said:

Have they moved from San Francisco?? 

I know that Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund (TLDEF) is in New York and has covered the east coast with name change representation and housing issues.

No, just a brain fart on my end.  🤪  That's who I was thinking of.  Hadn't had my coffee yet, I'm getting old, and any other excuses I can think of, are all responsible. 

Carolyn Marie