• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

E + P

LaurenA

I recently started taking P as well as E ion hopes breast growth was possible.  So far no results.  But what I have noticed is an increase in emotions, something I had expected with E,  BTW I' 2Y on E.

• Admin

Emotional changes are common with both, but timing differs between people, as well as depending on dosage, and whether pills, patches or injections are used.  Emotional changes can sometimes also be due to psychological factors.

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, LaurenA said:

I ended up calling 988.  The P drove me over the edge.  That's it for P for me.

@LaurenA It seems to effect some more than others. I'm one of those that experiences a profound effect on P. I've been on it for a while now. When I went off it for 3 weeks prior to surgery and then for 3 weeks after, I noticed I became more emotionally reactive to day to day things right away. When I feel the P is the cause of mu feeling a bit down, I try to course correct ASAP with soft but uplifting music. That almost always helps me pull myself out of it. Its hard if I'm not in an environment that allows me to do this.

Hugs,

Susan R🌷 

• Forum Moderator

P has never been on the table for me due to heart issues.  I remember two sweet trans gals i met and went out with one night.  They had just gotten their injections and were really rolling along.  I don't need those swings of mood and have found peace with the long slow action of a daily application of an E topical treatment.  

If P causes issues for you Lauren i'd just leave it alone and give E time.

Hugs,

Charlize

There is one bright point in the situation.  They made an appointment with a psychiatrist for me.  I might be able to talk them into writing a letter for me.

Sorry it had this effect on you.

When I started with PP, they gave me progesterone but no estradiol, they said it was because of my age.  But when I went to the VA, they did the opposite, E but no P.  Go figure.  I've been trying for at least 2 yrs to get my endocrinologist to add the P since my research shows it might help with th boobage.  But he refuses.  I am in the process of trying to switch to the gynecologist for my HRT.In the meantime, I've been using an over the counter progesterone cream that seems to be helping.

To be honest, I've not had any major mood swings, although I do cry easier than before HRT.  Changes have been gradual.  I started on low doses and have increased over time.  Perhaps that had  something to do with it.

Just my experience with it.