• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Eating Disorder or Just a Quirk?

RaineOnYourParade

My appetite fluctuates a ton. I have times where I can't eat enough and others where even hearing the word "food" makes me want to puke. Is this a disorder or just a weird quirk of mine?

• Forum Moderator

Your appetite will naturally fluctuate but it sounds like this is beyond that.  Have you spoken to your doctor?  

Jani

• Forum Moderator

It's hard but get into the habit of inquiring about things like this that are out of the ordinary.  

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to bring it up next time I'm around to the doctor (if I don't chicken out)

While what you describe may be a bit beyond what's typical, @RaineOnYourParade , it doesn't necessarily indicate an eating disorder. I just looked at your profile and read your intro post (sorry I missed seeing your intro initially, else I would have said hi). Seeing as you're 16 going on 17 and transmasc, note that appetite can fluctuate as you described during the course of the menstrual cycle. Please forgive me for bringing it up if it's a trigger, but I believe it may be relevant. If you menstruate, keep track of your cycle and note whether your appetite fluctuations are also at all cyclic. For example, you may experience either a ravenous appetite or be repelled by food around the time of ovulation, or as a symptom of pms or during menstruation. This was true for me when I was still menstruating regularly (I'm afab, nonbinary and in the menopause homestretch - one month to go). I also had an eating disorder which I can say was experienced quite differently than hormonal appetite fluctuations. In particular, with eating disorder symptoms, there is the significant component of emotional triggers, intense emotions ranging from mania to self-loathing, there's bargaining, deceit, shame, secrecy, etc, and there can be some component of obsessive-compulsive need for control in one's life. So, I agree that it's worth discussing with your doctor. But it'll help you and your doctor to get to the bottom of it if you spend some time keeping a journal recording day of your cycle, as well as what thoughts and feelings coincided with these incidents of fluctuation. This'll provide more insight. 

@Vidanjali I thought it was just my period at first but when I started tracking my cycle I saw that it was random, not coming with my cycle, thanks for the suggestion though ❤️

I'll look into talking to a doctor and take it all into consideration

13 hours ago, RaineOnYourParade said:

My appetite fluctuates a ton. I have times where I can't eat enough and others where even hearing the word "food" makes me want to puke. Is this a disorder or just a weird quirk of mine?

Dear Raine. Whether you call it one thing or another, please take it seriously. Anorexia among teens is the deadliest mental disorder known. Heart attacks because of electrolyte imbalance can occur. I was an anorexic teen, but was saved by my doctor who had no name for it, but he did know it was serious. An eating disorder is never really over, but recovery from it can be a wonderful spiritual journey. It was for me. Take care.  —Davie

2 hours ago, RaineOnYourParade said:

Thanks Davie. I'll try my best .

Good for you, Raine. Don't be afraid of becoming happy.