• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Always-Awkward Coming Out To A Medical Professional

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

This morning I went in for a relatively routine medical procedure, in which I had to completely undress and put on a gown.  The staff, while having my medical history, still didn't seem aware that I was trans, so I informed them.  I just hate the idea that they would discover it while I'm on the gurney, unable to answer questions.  The nurse was totally understanding and appreciated me telling her what she would later see.  As many of you know I haven't had GCS, just an orchie, so much of my prior "equipment" is still there.  The nurse did, however, notice a medicine I was taking that is typical of what natal males might use.

All in all, the procedure went without a hitch, my results were good, and I went on my way.  I'm not mentioning all this to focus on my medical issues; it's just some guidance for those who might wonder what to tell doctors or nurses, and when.  Sometimes it's not necessary to come out at all; for example, if you hurt your knee and are seeing someone in urgent care.  Having to undress is a whole other matter.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

If you are part of an HMO like I am, the Permanent Top Page on my chart lists Major Surgeries.  The list in my case contains my GCS right up on top, so I am pretty <Umm> Transparent, <slight cough> to my medical providers.  Just under that notation is my drug and other substance allergies which in my case includes "Weed" which gets more reaction than the GCS.

• 1 month later...

Awkward is right. I started my trans in August 2023 and had to see my PCP in September due to testicular pain. By this time I had fully developed my Cindy identity and was wearing my feminine clothing. We scheduled an ultrasound that led me to making another appointment. At that time I told my PCP that I was transitioning. Very awkward.

• 4 weeks later...

As a medical provider and trans myself, if I notice my patient has something linking them to be trans in their chart, I won’t mention it unless they do. I try to be respectful of others. As long as it doesn’t hinder the medical plan- no point in it being brought up! But much respect to you for being forth coming! I try and always do the same!

On 10/25/2023 at 2:05 PM, Cindy Lee said:

At that time I told my PCP that I was transitioning. Very awkward.

I sympathize with your awkwardness, @Cindy Lee.  In 2018, the year I came out, my then-PCP was clearly not a good fit for me. I "fired" him and switched to a female PCP who had done a rotation at Fenway Health (an excellent gender care facility here in Boston, at which I am a patient for my HRT).  I'm so glad I looked around and switched PCPs.   She listens to me, has recommended that I'm now ready for a  mammogram, stays informed about my care through the gender clinic, and generally been excellent PCP these last 5 years.  

Kind regards,

Astrid

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not fulltime, but go to all my doctors in female mode.  I just show up!   By now, I’m totally comfortable in most if not all cis situations

No mammogram for me, had to stop my estrogen 4 years ago when I had a stroke.