• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hello from this Rae of Sunshine!

RaeOfSunshine

Hello everyone! I'm Raelyn (or Rae). I'm a thirty year old trans woman currently living in Florida (yuck). I'm moving in the near future, so at least I have that to look forward to. I enjoy reading, photography, and trying new things. I've been wanting to get into gaming and possibly have a community there, so if there are any suggestions, I would love to hear them! Hopefully everyone is having a great day, I'm looking forward to being a part of this community :)

1 hour ago, RaeOfSunshine said:

Hello everyone! I'm Raelyn (or Rae). I'm a thirty year old trans woman currently living in Florida (yuck). I'm moving in the near future, so at least I have that to look forward to. I enjoy reading, photography, and trying new things. I've been wanting to get into gaming and possibly have a community there, so if there are any suggestions, I would love to hear them! Hopefully everyone is having a great day, I'm looking forward to being a part of this community :)

Hey Rae! 

Welcome! I think you'll find a wonderful community here. The people are all very kind, and I'm excited for you to be here.

(I'm not much of a gamer but I absolutely adore Skyrim.)

Hi, Rae!! Welcome to the forums!!! You find lots of great info and truly wonderful people here. Look around, ask questions and jump in wherever you feel comfortable.

Welcome Raelyn! Glad you're here! Another Florida belle here! I understand the need for some to leave. Some wonderful friends have become refugees fleeing this "free" state. I choose to stay! I hope you find the wonderful advice, support & acceptance here as I have.

Hugs!

Delcina 

• Forum Moderator
On 9/26/2023 at 8:25 AM, RaeOfSunshine said:

…currently living in Florida (yuck). I'm moving in the near future, so at least I have that to look forward to.

Hello @RaeOfSunshine! It’s a pleasure to meet you. I feel for you in regards to living in Florida right now. It’s sad how the current political atmosphere there along with the recent legislation that’s passed has ruined such a good thing for those in our community. I hope your next move, whether in-state or somewhere else, is much more accepting. Our forum, on the other hand, is a place you can feel comfortable to share this part of your self without worry of such condemnation. We are here to offer advice if wanted, support and of course, friendship. I’m happy you found us and hope to see you around.

Warmest Regards,

Susan R🌷

Hello, and welcome! I'm not a big fan of my home state either, though I doubt it's for the same reasons. Not looking forward to winter.  🥶

What sorts of games are you interested in, and what's your favorite genre (books and/ or games)? 

Glad you're here, thanks for introducing yourself! 😀

• Forum Moderator

Welcome Raelyn.  It certainly seems that Florida is making life difficult.  You will find a safe and accepting family here.

Glad you have joined us.

Hugs,

Charlize

Hi & welcome @RaeOfSunshine. I'm nonbinary and live in SE FL. I've been thinking over an exit plan too, but not necessarily immediately - maybe within the next couple years. What goes into your thought process when deciding where else you might like to live? 

On 9/30/2023 at 9:49 AM, Vidanjali said:

Hi & welcome @RaeOfSunshine. I'm nonbinary and live in SE FL. I've been thinking over an exit plan too, but not necessarily immediately - maybe within the next couple years. What goes into your thought process when deciding where else you might like to live? 

I'm mostly taking a stab in the dark. I've looked at the map on Erin In the Morning's website and cross referenced that with cost of living, as well as places I have actually been to in person. A big requirement for me was having a job established before I would move somewhere. Now that I've accomplished that, it's time to leave and take a chance somewhere new. I'm hearing mixed things, but it has to be better than here.

On 9/28/2023 at 6:17 AM, Liz-Liz said:

Hello, and welcome! I'm not a big fan of my home state either, though I doubt it's for the same reasons. Not looking forward to winter.  🥶

What sorts of games are you interested in, and what's your favorite genre (books and/ or games)? 

Glad you're here, thanks for introducing yourself! 😀

I  play all kinds of games, as long as they aren't too detailed with over the top skill trees, lots of controls, and are engaging enough to keep my interest for more than a week haha!

Similarly, I read books from all genres. My favorites are tech thrillers with page turning action, and books that make you think deeper about sometimes abstract things. For a long time, my favorite books were Life of Pi, the Martian, and Deception Point.

23 hours ago, RaeOfSunshine said:

I'm mostly taking a stab in the dark. I've looked at the map on Erin In the Morning's website and cross referenced that with cost of living, as well as places I have actually been to in person. A big requirement for me was having a job established before I would move somewhere. Now that I've accomplished that, it's time to leave and take a chance somewhere new. I'm hearing mixed things, but it has to be better than here.

Erin's map has been part of my decision making too as well as cost of living. I've also been researching climate change and resistance. I really prefer to be in warmer weather, but no warm places fall in the intersection of those priorities. My husband works remotely and I'm awaiting a decision on disability benefits, so for our family jobs are not currently a factor. When job is a factor, that's a much higher priority, obviously. When I first moved back down here from the north I made sure I had a job first. I've currently been looking at Central NY, myself. However I'm aware the job market is rather sparse there unless you're in some specialized fields. Even in NY I hear mixed things. But, the fact that there are codified protections for social justice go a long way. I hope the way forward becomes clear for us all. 

15 minutes ago, Vidanjali said:

Erin's map has been part of my decision making too as well as cost of living. I've also been researching climate change and resistance. I really prefer to be in warmer weather, but no warm places fall in the intersection of those priorities. My husband works remotely and I'm awaiting a decision on disability benefits, so for our family jobs are not currently a factor. When job is a factor, that's a much higher priority, obviously. When I first moved back down here from the north I made sure I had a job first. I've currently been looking at Central NY, myself. However I'm aware the job market is rather sparse there unless you're in some specialized fields. Even in NY I hear mixed things. But, the fact that there are codified protections for social justice go a long way. I hope the way forward becomes clear for us all. 

I've just secured housing in Colorado. Heard some mixed things about the area, but at least I will have access to healthcare and legal protections. For now anyway...

1 hour ago, RaeOfSunshine said:

I've just secured housing in Colorado. Heard some mixed things about the area, but at least I will have access to healthcare and legal protections. For now anyway...

Sounds like a great option, all things considered. I know several people (albeit none are trans) who have moved to CO and they all love it. But, indeed it's a big state and many different areas. I wish you the best of luck! 

• Forum Moderator

Good afternoon and welcome to TPF @RaeOfSunshine

I hope you find these forums as helpful as I do. It's not therapy but it's close.

I'm sure you are a Ray of Sunshine in real live, and hope that you always feel as such.

Best wishes, stay positive, and motivated,

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

On 9/26/2023 at 10:25 AM, RaeOfSunshine said:

Sorry I'm late. Not far away from Florida. I do have some family there too. Mississippi isn't as bad as it is there. Nice to see someone who is similar to age as I am. I'm 39 and have lived in Mississippi on and off for most of my life. I love it here. I don't think I will move anymore. It crossed my mind but I'm glad that I have found home that is unless things get dangerous for me after my kids are grown. 

On 10/3/2023 at 8:19 AM, RaeOfSunshine said:

A lot of places in Colorado want you to already have a Colorado drivers license or at least that's how it was in 2014. I was lucky and lived with my sister at the time in Pueblo West Colorado. You definitely know when you left Pueblo West because they aren't as friendly. 

On 10/11/2023 at 7:01 PM, Ashley0616 said:

A lot of places in Colorado want you to already have a Colorado drivers license or at least that's how it was in 2014. I was lucky and lived with my sister at the time in Pueblo West Colorado. You definitely know when you left Pueblo West because they aren't as friendly. 

Hoping since I already have a FL license with the correct name/gender it won't be too much of an issue to transfer over. 

That's how it is in the Florida Keys. Generally, everyone is accepting and polite, but on the mainland it is a much different story.

Hi Raelyn, nice to hear from you. I’m in Australia, but I keep a bit of an eye on the news over there, and I hope you’re coping ok! It’s pretty heartbreaking to see what’s happening from the outside.

I’m a big gamer! I’m into all sorts of games. Currently I’m playing Final Fantasy 14. I’m not usually into online games, as I’ve heard that some can be quite toxic. But the final fantasy community has been quite wholesome so far! Mostly, I like single player, story driven games. 

All the best 🙂