• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The judiciary now controls the fate of trans youth & rulings seem to simply be luck of the draw

Ivy

• Admin

This is a commentary / one persons opioion on the news, and not a full out analysis of what has happened legally yet. I do not see it as a gloomy  "we are done for" situation, just that we need to get more information into our communities in ways that will get understanding and positive attention.  Each one of the set backs we have gives legal counsel on our side a better look at what is in the armory of the Conservatives, and each attack on them will be more telling and successful for us as we learn.  SCOTUS has actually given us some decent breaks in the past on the bathroom issues  What is needed at the current time is for Trans people to be more active in their local politics and the election of better educated members of local School Boards, City Councils, and even Library Trustee Boards holds the key to future success.

1 hour ago, VickySGV said:

What is needed at the current time is for Trans people to be more active in their local politics and the election of better educated members of local School Boards, City Councils, and even Library Trustee Boards holds the key to future success.

We have a local "progressive" women's group that does attend school board meetings.  Some have mentioned me going.  But all my kids are way past school age.  And I've kinda thought my presence might make matters worse.  

"Look, there's one now!"

IDK

I really feel for you all, the states has always been one of my favourite places to visit. My last wife and I travelled extensively in California and the mid-west. the fact that far right political groups and crazy religious bible bashing loonies have managed to take over saddens me no end. 

When the country broke away from Britain, the founders had the sensible idea of separation of church and state, unfortunately that no longer applies.

I fear for my trans brothers and sisters whilst the emergence of Gilead seems inevitable.

Jenny

BTW it's also happening over this side of the pond as well.

3 hours ago, VickySGV said:

What is needed at the current time is for Trans people to be more active in their local politics and the election of better educated members of local School Boards, City Councils, and even Library Trustee Boards holds the key to future success.

Vicky, I hope your quote doesn't get lost in this thread, because in my humble opinion, you have hit the nail squarely on the head.  Our fate is up to us and nobody else.  If we sit idly by hoping someone else will do our bidding, we are going to be greatly disappointed.  We need to show the world we don't have two heads and the best way to do that is meaningful activism.  And activism doesn't have to mean standing on the street corner shouting through a bullhorn.  The real work is done in the trenches. often out of sight of the masses.  Find a way to make a difference, even if the part we are playing is a small one, they all add up.  Bottom line is that we all, each of us, need to contribute to our own cause. 

2 hours ago, Ivy said:

"Look, there's one now!"

Ivy, it's quite possible that would be the school board's initial reaction and being there might be uncomfortable at first, but by attending undeterred and contributing in a meaningful way, I have no doubt you'd win over the majority.     

6 hours ago, Ivy said:

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/10/the-judiciary-now-controls-the-fate-of-trans-youth-rulings-seem-to-simply-be-luck-of-the-draw/

This is going to continue until the Supreme Court rules on it.

I guess we'll find out then if we are outlaws.

SCOTUS is not the last word on trans rights. According to the constitution If explicit protections are passed by congress, they're instructed to abide by them. They don't get to re-write the constitution.

• Admin

@Davie OH so right.  We do need the Equal Rights Bill that keeps getting put on the bottom of the serious bills in congress passed.  That is one more thing to make the current congressional mess even smellier than it might be. 

5 hours ago, VickySGV said:

even smellier than it might be.

Right. Thank you, @VickySGVThat Equal Rights Bill needs to be passed to underline the whole promise of our Republic, for which it stands.

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 195 Guests (See full list)

• Betty K
    • JaySee88
    • KathyLauren
    • VickySGV
    • Maddee
    • MaryEllen
    • RaineOnYourParade
    • Pip
    • Willow