• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Tight Fitting Clothing and Chest Development

emeraldmountain

Hi,

Does wearing tight fitting clothing like a sports bra cause problems and/or inhibit breast growth/breast bud development, especially in the early stages of HRT (under 6 months)? My medical provider said that binding the developing breasts when presenting masc is safe, but I have heard conflicting information.

Thanks.

• Admin
7 hours ago, emeraldmountain said:

My medical provider said that binding the developing breasts when presenting masc is safe,

👆👆👆👆We do get some really weird ideas in the Trans population that are NOT based on actual medical information.  Go with your medical team for the answer there.  HOWEVER do not overdo the camouflage and make it too tight which we have to caution the FTM's about .  It does not take much to keep folks in the dark about your HRT status.  The onset of changes begins in the third to sixth month after beginning HRT, and takes three to six YEARS to complete the job. 

Safe or not, I've never heard of binding actually preventing breast growth.  Without HRT, you'll grow what you're going to grow.  And as you can figure out from this forum and your medical providers, binding has risks. 

8 hours ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

binding has risks

Yes, my doctor stopped me from binding (when I was still in boy-mode) because it was causing other health conditions. 

In my experience I wear sport bras that are snug and I also wear breast forms. It's not extremely tight but it's not loose either. I went up a size in cup.

I don't know much about binding breasts developing under HRT, but as a teen whose chest is (unfortunately) still growing, I'll say that binding my own still-growing chest hasn't stopped them from growing, and I know other people who have done it as teens without problems. Unfortunate for me, but not bad in this scenario haha

Regardless of if your breasts are developing are not, be sure to be safe! Binding rules and binding rules. If your breasts or ribs begin to ache and you're able to, it's a good idea to change out of whatever you're using to bind, don't bind

Also, compression sport bras aren't the same as binders. They're made for exercise without things moving around, and they're looser so you can use them for things like exercise. They do flatten, but you don't have the same binding risks :)

Good luck!

For me binding has not been an issue. My problem was finding a bra the actually fit. Sports bras were to tight. I am much happier now that I finally found bras in my size. Interestingly I had to have them imported from China😌.