• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

HRT questions plus a few extra.

Donna68

Hello I'm fairly new to the forum and was wanting to ask a few questions about HRT. I'm 55 and need to know what hormones I can expect to get prescribed by a physician, and what expectations I can expect being age 55 I am very interested in top surgery and am open to bottom surgery as well, is there a cut-off age where they wont perform these procedures?

Thanks for listening Donna Michelle.

Hello Donna, I am in a similar boat. I am 52 and am trying to get up the nerve to ask my general doc for a referral for an appointment with an endocrinologist to possibly take this next step... I'll pass along what I learn as I go along... scroll through this particular forum topic and there is a lot of information on here and a lot of folks willing to share their experiences... 

Best wishes! 

Easy

• Forum Moderator

Hi, Donna.

I started my transition at 62, and had bottom surgery at 65.  And I know of folks older than me who have done the same.  So age is not a barrier.  You want to be in excellent health, though.

Every physician has their own formula for prescribing HRT.  Normally, you would get estradiol in some form (pills, patches, creams, or injectables), plus an androgen blocker.  Sometimes, they prescribe progesterone, sometimes not.  The important thing is to have your blood levels monitored by your doctor to keep you in the target range.

• Admin

Hello, @Donna68.  I'll echo what others have said; age alone is not a factor in who can get GCS or other surgical procedures.  It is dependent on health, the absence of current substance abuse and any serious mental health issues.

The same goes for HRT; age is not a critical factor, but comorbidities (health conditions) will determine what kinds of medicines are prescribed and in what dosage.  We don't discuss specific dosage information in the forums.

Carolyn Marie

I saw on the other thread that you are a veteran.  I get my HRT from the VA myself.  They've been pretty good about it for the most part.  They won't do the surgeries at this time, but that could change at some point.

They also have a support group where some of us get together with each other twice a month.  That's a hybrid meeting, either in person or online. (in this case Asheville).  

Thank you all for the replies, look forward to hearing more from you EasyE, and Ivy i would be interested in the meetings, don't think any are near me, I live rurally in Northern VA, but online would be nice.

thanks Donna Michelle