• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Experience with Vocal Trainers

MaeBe

Good morning, all!

I have been looking into Seattle Voice Labs (https://www.seattlevoicelab.com/) and Olivia Flanigan (https://www.oliviamflanigan.com/)for a consult. I am pretty good with my voice in general, but it's hard to nail down the specifics of an authentic female voice. The latter gets high marks in comments I've seen on the internet, but is 60% more expensive than the latter. I have gotten notice there is a spot for me with SVL, but I'm apprehensive about the cost.

Have any of you wonderful people had experience with either?

Hi @MaeBe!

I don't have experience with those services, but I think I might have a little pleasant surprise for you! I hope you're in the area of service, but the University of Minnesota Duluth (maybe other locations, too?) offers free gender affirming speech therapy through their Speech-Language-Hearing clinic.

Check it out: https://cehsp.d.umn.edu/departments-centers/departments/communication-sciences-and-disorders/clinical-services/slp-services

57 minutes ago, emeraldmountain2 said:

Hi @MaeBe!

I don't have experience with those services, but I think I might have a little pleasant surprise for you! I hope you're in the area of service, but the University of Minnesota Duluth (maybe other locations, too?) offers free gender affirming speech therapy through their Speech-Language-Hearing clinic.

Check it out: https://cehsp.d.umn.edu/departments-centers/departments/communication-sciences-and-disorders/clinical-services/slp-services

Thank you for the link! At first glance, it appears that transgender voice sessions are a group activity. I would prefer, at least at first, individual sessions but it may be something to fully explore down the road.

I took the plunge on an assessment with Olivia before I commit to a larger outlay. It's worth the shot to meet this person and, for half the cost of a full lesson, an easier pill to swallow from the off.

You're welcome! I would be surprised if it were just group lessons, as this type of speech therapy is very one on one and tailored to the individual, so as to reduce risk to the voice. Maybe try calling them to ask if you're interested.

There may also be other education institutions near you offering the same free or low cost services. The speech center might also be able to provide you with individual names who offer this service if you are unable to find one on one services at the university.

Also, some insurances cover transgender voice therapy, so maybe look into that, too.

1 minute ago, MaeBe said:

I took the plunge on an assessment with Olivia before I commit to a larger outlay. It's worth the shot to meet this person and, for half the cost of a full lesson, an easier pill to swallow from the off.

Wishing you the best with it!

• 3 weeks later...

First full session with Olivia Flanagan. Minor notes:

• We spent a lot of time going over vocal warm ups
  • Note to everyone, drink way more water!
  • We got to the meat by approaching forward resonance, moving your voice from your chest/throat to your R1 or mouth/nose.

I have some distance to travel. I don't have an ear for an authentic feminine voice yet, but I have spent a lot of time making different noises. I am good with accents and changing my voice/making noises, so every skill and technique was pretty easy so far (except raspberry warmups! Think sticking out your tongue and trying to hum while "giving the raspberry").

I think it will take a couple more sessions, but Olivia has a plan and some interesting approaches. She's personable and friendly, which makes sessions easy in a space that can be full of anxiety.

1 hour ago, MaeBe said:

First full session with Olivia Flanagan. Minor notes:

• We spent a lot of time going over vocal warm ups
  • Note to everyone, drink way more water!
  • We got to the meat by approaching forward resonance, moving your voice from your chest/throat to your R1 or mouth/nose.

I have some distance to travel. I don't have an ear for an authentic feminine voice yet, but I have spent a lot of time making different noises. I am good with accents and changing my voice/making noises, so every skill and technique was pretty easy so far (except raspberry warmups! Think sticking out your tongue and trying to hum while "giving the raspberry").

I think it will take a couple more sessions, but Olivia has a plan and some interesting approaches. She's personable and friendly, which makes sessions easy in a space that can be full of anxiety.

I have been with Olivia for several months now. I agree with your assessment. She stresses the fundamentals. Warmups. Hydration. Relaxation. Journaling. Feedback. Forward resonance. Building blocks. Muscle memory. Practice practice practice. 

I find it very helpful to have feedback from a trained ear.  She can suggest minor adjustments and exercises. She has professional training and degrees in this field of voice modification which comes across in her professional approach. She is very well organized and doesn’t overwhelm you with theory. She can explain very complex concepts in very simple language which is a sign of someone who knows what they’re talking about. Plus she’s very easy to talk to.

Five stars!

@MaeBe I am really happy to read that you had such a positive experience in your first full session with a speech therapist! Coming away feeling encouraged and hopeful is an amazing place to start. I remember a lot of anxiety when I started with voice work. I worked 1:1 with Christie Block here in NYC for voice. There was a lot of home practice with warmups as you describe but most especially staying consistent and trying to use the knowledge in everyday life. Early on I remember a lot of practice with things I say often, like my name, my job title, my Starbucks order, my phone number, and so forth. I particularly remember spending time on "ploppy" back vowels (think "meet" vs. "moat) and on a more feminine sounding laugh. I especially wanted to avoid being misgendered on the phone. I used to rely on a pitch tracker on Github that has since been taken down, but I found I was using it less and less. All the best to you! If you are curious, here is my voice sampled on Christie's website from the intake session to the tenth session after months of homework - I am Client F. Going from about 130 Hz (C3) at the start on average to 207 Hz (G#3) after the work. May this inspire you!

https://www.speechvoicelab.com/voice-samples

Love,

~Audrey.

Christie Block is excellent. I heard her presentation, Foundations in Voice and Communication,  at a WPATH course last March. Speech language pathologists do a great job. Audrey, how long were you in therapy with Christie?

@KatieSC Christie and I worked together for about six months over about ten sessions during that time. As with all kinds of therapy, most of the work comes between sessions at home and with practice. I read some of her published journal articles and found the whole experience in speech therapy affirming and encouraging. One of the most important takeaways from working with her is that there is no one "right" voice and that all others are somehow wrong or bad. Rather, I could and did find a speaking voice that reflects me authentically, and I met my goal of reducing misgendering to the point that it nearly never happens anymore.

Love,

~Audrey.