• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What progress did you make in 2023?

JaySee88

So I have a habit of overthinking and having my thoughts spiral out of control. It makes me anxious, paranoid, and ultimately my mind always jumps to the worst case scenario. It makes me think that I’m not getting anywhere with figuring out who I am.

However, I ran through all the small little steps forward I made this year, and I actually started to feel reasonably good about myself. So I thought I’d ask the question: what progress, or what little steps forward did you make this year gone? It can be anything in your life, not just limited to identity etc.

my list would be:

-I spoke for the first time about my thoughts around my gender with a professional, and while I have a long way to go until I figure everything out (and sometimes I think I might not figure it exactly out), I feel I made a significant step.

-I left my job of 10 years working shift work in a warehouse, to returning to working with children, which has done wonders for my mental health.

-I have played a lot more live music, playing in my first ever musical theatre show, and surrounding myself with more progressive minded people.

Trying focusing on all the wins, little or big. I think that has helped me lately. 
Anyway, happy new year to everyone. Hope you all have a great 2024.

Came out to more people at work on occasional forced work in office shifts

Started voice training

Continued seeing welcome changes from HRT

Met some more internet friends and acquaintances in real life

I continued to grow my hair. It is shoulder length now and is starting to naturally fall both front and back of them.

I allowed my nails to grow and occasionally coated them in clear gel, which happens to make them glow hot pink under certain light conditions. I still sometimes cut them short though.

I had a meltdown in front of my wife and she now understands that her husband is the same person that he has always been.

I wear bras far more often. They have always felt very nice against my body, and I can kind of justify wearing them anyway (I have genuine A-cup moobs), and I am caring less and less if I am detected wearing one.

I have pushed back against the Conservative Texas 'dress-your-gender' policy enough that I have made great strides. 

The medical day-centre has accepted lip gloss, skinny jeans, pink blouses, and are only slightly abrasive about my growing hair. 

Skirts and dresses I don't think will ever be accepted there, but women's androgynous attire as passing just fine. 💃

All gender restrooms are okay as well. It's not like I'm welcome in the men's room anymore. 💁‍♀️

Finally came out. Got married and separated all within 2 months. Started with no clothes and slowly got them in bunches. Shoes were the same way. I got an SUV that served me well but had to trade it in not too long ago due to it almost coming to an end. I went through some highs and lows with hormones and I know I'll have more. I still haven't been able to cry but I think it's due to how many deaths I faced in Iraq and all the horrible things that went on there. I only cried one other time and it was a movie during the Iraq war and they did the "Final Call" for a few that died. I cried so hard that people in the movie theatre were staring at me. I didn't cry when my two sons were born. 

I purchased my next residence, the one where I am planning to be living in when I retire from working and live on the pension that I can receive from my superannuation (like a 401K retirement fund).
The place I chose is an easy walk to a major shopping mall, but the most important reason for that choice of location, my new 2 bedroom unit is in the building next door to where my partner lives. There will be many evenings when the question will be asked, "Your place or mint tonight sweetheart?", and it is only about a 5 minute walk from her lounge room to be in mine. Including the required elevator trip in each apartment building.

• Forum Moderator

progress what is that? Well maybe some. Changed back to a VA therapist who is utterly fantastic. Was able to go on a trip were I wore a sundress the first day without the wife saying a word about it.

Kymmie

I started attending meetings of a local Pride group.  And there reconnected with a woman I had been with in a writer's group back before covid.  (It's not a romantic thing)

I did replace my 20 yr old car, which is nice.

And, I was able to switch my HRT doctor to a gynecologist at the VA women's clinic.  The former endocrinologist was less cooperative.

I too started my therapy this year and HRT. So far my physical changes aren't so drastic but mentally I have gained so much. I am more gentle on myself. And I have lost alot of negativity about my self. I have honed my look so much and I see it everyday.  I will continue to love myself for who I am!

I lost 48lbs from June to end of December. I am in the process of getting my teeth put perfect as my 2 front teeth on the top sat infront of the 2 either side, which are quite small. I had those 2 at the front pulled out and the plan is to remove those 2 small ones & then put I dental implants for all 4. Then everything will be perfectly aligned & I will have a beautiful smile for the time ever! Appointment with the implant dentist is on Jan 16th. 

I ran a 5k in under 30 minutes for the 1st time ever in my life. Really worked on my fitness.

I finally accepted that there is something wrong & I'm not happy. I've stopped fighting what feels like my true nature so hard. That only happened in like the last 2 weeks of 2023, so still pretty new. 

Most importantly though, I feel like 2023 has shown me what I need to do, to not worry about what others think. Small win today, I bought women's shampoo & said to my partner it was for us because I like the smell. Now I never have to use stupid mens shampoo again that smells of nothing or pure chemicals. And the funny thing, I had been in a bad mood for like 3 days. Just that tiny thing has put a smile on my face & I have been dancing in the kitchen when making dinner. 

Anyway, I've gone off on a tangent. Basically I have learnt to live more true to myself. Something I think we all should be doing.

Well said Amanda.

So my '23 was very short as I only discovered my true identity at the beginning of Nov! I came out to my immediate family of 10 brothers and sisters a week later.They were very supportive.The youngest is in her early 50s.I soon after posted a photo of me in a skirt.It kinda went down like a lead baloon.Support is one thing,enthusiasm another.I guess they didn't really know what to say but nothing bad was said.

Later I invited them round when I was going to present 'modestly' as myself.That gathering didn't turn out too bad,It wasn't perfect though and I ended up being a bit of a side show as they all got engrossed in 'catching up'.I had the support of 2 gay nieces and one of their partners so that was good.

I was able to present quite strongly in public I felt in a general sort of way.I had let my hair grow out and I was able to  give it a very feminine look which was very pleasing.

I posted my most daring photo recently to the family and some agreed I was beginning to look like my mother who passed in 2007.I quite enjoyed that.I think it was the jewellery and lipstick that did it!

Here's to more baby steps in 2024.I loved all of your posts above.......very enriching

Love Keera