• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Emigration from USA

emeraldmountain2

Hi,

I feel like I am going to need to leave the US before a Republican comes into office and tries to ruin trans lives across the nation.

Does anyone know how to emigrate from the USA when one has a useless Bachelor's degree or lower and works in a low-skill job? I have no idea what, if any, trans friendly countries exist for such a person and what the process of immigration there entails.

Thanks.

Part of the issue is going to be selecting your ideal nation.  What are the criteria?  Trans-friendly, obviously.  But what about a healthy economy?  Language?  Climate?   For example, nations that typically top the list as being LGBTQ+ friendly are Canada, Sweden, Norway, and Iceland.  So if you want an English-speaking place, Canada tops your list.  But do you like the cold?  Or are tax rates important to you?  If so, European nations might not be ideal.  Perhaps public health regulations are important?  That might require more detailed investigation to determine how strict or lenient a nation and specific community might be.  

https://visaguide.world/moving-to/canada/from-usa/

https://visaguide.world/moving-to/sweden/

^^^ Those are brief descriptions of the process to go to Canada or Sweden.  That site will also have info for other nations. 

The overall trend seems to be that moving to another nation and getting all your documents in order to stay there permanently takes 5 to 10 years.  My husband considered a career move to Germany many years ago.  Even with a job offer and having German citizenship by descent (something that makes the process much, much easier), he decided against it due to cost and the reality of such a radical lifestyle change.  There's a lot to consider. 

I would also ask - how much have you traveled?  How much experience do you have with different nations and continents, and the lifestyles and life quality of different groups of people?  I live in a deep red state with quite a few anti-trans laws.  However, being intersex/trans isn't the only aspect of my identity.  Due to my religious beliefs, cultural heritage, political leanings, and the nature of my family.... leaving the USA for pretty much anywhere else would be a poor choice.  Maybe its just a mental case of "East to West, home is best" but to me there's a wholelotta places around the world (and in the USA too) that just don't meet my requirements.  My only real choice is to dig in right where I'm at and hang on at all costs.  

Not trying to scare you off of the idea of moving if that's really what you want to do.  I just hope you'll consider aspects of life beyond political issues and trans identity so that you find the best long-term fit.

12 hours ago, emeraldmountain2 said:

Hi,

I feel like I am going to need to leave the US before a Republican comes into office and tries to ruin trans lives across the nation.

Does anyone know how to emigrate from the USA when one has a useless Bachelor's degree or lower and works in a low-skill job? I have no idea what, if any, trans friendly countries exist for such a person and what the process of immigration there entails.

Thanks.

I know of one American trans woman -- a friend of some friends -- who has recently come to Australia from Colorado. She is in the process of applying for asylum based on prevalent anti-trans attitudes in the States. Her application has been accepted and is in progress but I dare say, like all Australian visa applications, it will take a long time to process. I know that some American trans women have successfully sought asylum in New Zealand too. Currently, both Australia and new Zealand are what would be regarded as broadly trans friendly. Sydney was recently named most trans-friendly city in the world by a prominent queer travel site, but I can't remember the details. My experience here has certainly been positive. That said, the TERFs and the far right are already making inroads here, and the country has a long history of oppression of queer folk in general. We seem to be inhabiting a sweet spot atm but who knows what the future holds.

A friend from another Forum who has a PhD in education looked into emigrating from Seattle to Melbourne or Sydney, but said she needed a job here before it could happen. I would think that applications for asylum from the US would be a long shot while there were still states in the US which didn't oppress trans people. 

We do have protections is Australia under Federal anti discrimination Acts which hold Gender Identity and Intersex as Protected Attributes. My Canadian friends are fearful of a conservative takeover in their next elections, and possibly facing similar oppression as the US. 

Hugs,

Allie

Yes I have to imagine asylum requests from US citizens here are successful very rarely. I’m actually astonished that any have succeeded at all, given how arduous most Australian visa applications are. Also I should be clear: the person I know of has been successful in submitting the application, but I have no idea if that application will ultimately be accepted, nor do I understand the process at all.

• Forum Moderator

For anyone considering moving to Canada, don't worry about the cold.  In most of Canada (at least the populated southern belt), it is no worse than say Minnesota.  Winters are getting milder as the climate changes.

The real concern is politics.  Our main opposition party is trumpist, and is owned by the same groups that own your Republican party.  We are only a few years away from the "unhealthy politics"-ification of our country.  Maybe with the help of trans refugees from the US, we can turn the tide, but expect that you will have to help work for it. 

The Canadian people are the nicest, most welcoming people in the world.  I have been out in the community for seven years and have had no problems at all.  But our politicians are not like normal people.

Thanks everyone.

I'm certainly selling my skills short, but I definitely do not have the so-called "in demand" skills or education that "developed" nations want from immigrants. Does anyone know if this would be an impediment in emigrating to their country or other developed countries that embrace trans people? Any workarounds? I suspect the answer will be depressing, so no hard feelings with what people have to say. However, many trans people are in my boat and we deserve help just like anyone else.

As an aside, I feel like less "successful" trans people are often underrepresented when trans people and/or the media focus on the fabulous and/or successful trans people (kudos to them, anyway), which is obviously hurtful.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

For anyone considering moving to Canada, don't worry about the cold.  In most of Canada (at least the populated southern belt), it is no worse than say Minnesota.  Winters are getting milder as the climate changes.

I don't know Kathy. The last time I looked at a job in Minnesota, that snow and ice thing kind of made me wonder! When they told me that they send stuff to Baudette to test if for a wintry environment, I got cold feet (no pun intended, or was there one?). I do wonder if I defected to Canada, whether I would still be able to collect my US social security when I hit that magical age of 70. 

• Forum Moderator
2 minutes ago, KatieSC said:

I do wonder if I defected to Canada, whether I would still be able to collect my US social security when I hit that magical age of 70. 

Probably.  But you'd most likely pay income tax on it.

I would hate to walk away from the bucks. I need to get my passport and go to Canada sometime in the next year. I guess I pop a cork on my question bottle. If in fact I moved there, would there be any issues getting a driver's license if I were to establish residency there? I have no earthly clue as to moving to another country. If I were to actually defect to Canada, I suppose I would have a lot of research to do.

I am a bit worried as to how things will go in the US over the next 24-48 months. I never thought the US would slide backwards in acceptance.

2 hours ago, KatieSC said:

I never thought the US would slide backwards in acceptance.

This.  It is a bummer.

I'm already getting old.  I suppose what income I have would follow me.  Whether it would be enough is another question.

Years ago my ex and I looked into Canada, and there was quite a process at that time.  Of course we weren't seeking asylum.

• Forum Moderator
4 hours ago, KatieSC said:

If in fact I moved there, would there be any issues getting a driver's license if I were to establish residency there?

Certainly a driver's license would be no problem if you have permanent residency.  You probably wouldn't even have to re-take the test, since requirements are mostly standardized.

Here is a link with the various ways to immigrate to Canada.  https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Does anyone else have any specific info on emigrating to trans friendly countries for a person with just a Bachelor's degree and who is underemployed? Any resources please?

I don't want to leave my country, but every day looks more and more dangerous for trans people in the US.

Hi.

I'm just going to be a pest one more time since this post seems to maybe get buried in the general transition issues section.

Anyone have specific info on what trans friendly countries with good medical care, economy, etc are willing to accept an underemployed, non-career-having, worthless degree holder like me? I guess the answer is a resounding no.

Thanks.

@emeraldmountain2I'm worried too. The chances of the democrats winning are probably next to nothing. Trump is going to destroy us! I have a mortgage and a car note too. I can't leave the states because I have joint custody with my kids. Otherwise I would definitely be pushing to leave this country. Things are going to get really bad here. I don't have a choice. I might have to go back into the closet till it's safe to come out again. 

@emeraldmountain2, do you mind me asking how old you are? Opportunities are generally very different for under-30s. In Australia, for eg, you should be able to obtain a one-year working visa simply by being American and under-30. From there, it might be possible to obtain a longer visa once you are in the country. I emphasise “might be”, since I really don’t know. I imagine the rules are similar for the EU.

2 hours ago, Ashley0616 said:

I'm worried too. The chances of the democrats winning are probably next to nothing. Trump is going to destroy us! I have a mortgage and a car note too. I can't leave the states because I have joint custody with my kids. Otherwise I would definitely be pushing to leave this country. Things are going to get really bad here. I don't have a choice. I might have to go back into the closet till it's safe to come out again. 

I pray it does not get that bad here.

49 minutes ago, emeraldmountain2 said:

Thanks @Betty K. Unfortunately, I'm not that young anymore.

Sigh, me neither.