• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Ohio Trans Candidate Loses Appeal To Reinstate Her Name On Ballot

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

It sounds like any trans candidate would just get caught up in legalities here. What a nightmare the electoral process and determination of legitamacy of candidates would be if anyone could change their name prior to an election. There are always those who would have shady reasons for changing their names.

It's a no win situation but I see reasoning.

Tracy

It would be interesting if someone were to do a deep dive into the names, identities, etc. of other politicians. The other question is how this will translate moving forward. Personally, I believe she was shafted. In order to change her name legally, she likely had to swear to the fact that she was not trying to do anything illegal. I believe that most states require a background check with the FBI. I know I had to in SC. 

As a routine matter, I refuse to list my dead name. I even went to every professional board where I have been licensed, and had my name changed to my new name regardless of whether I had a current license or not. I wanted no trail. I am not sure what the future holds for us. It seems that some of the politicians want to do everything to name us, blame us, and shame us. Why? Did someone high up in their party pay for sex with someone and then find out that the partner was trans? Seems like one party in particular has a huge amount of transphobia no matter how you slice it.

As for nefarious reasons to change a name, I can only look at my own process. There was nothing quick about it. I recently saw an episode from Season 5 of Fargo, where the fictitious sheriff has to face off in a debate with several other guys who were paid to change their name to variants of that sheriff. The scene was hilarious, but not truthful. 

If this candidate had a clean record, could walk upright, make a decent contribution, why the hassle? 

• Forum Moderator
5 hours ago, tracy_j said:

There are always those who would have shady reasons for changing their names.

In most places, the name change process takes care of that.  I had to have a criminal records check, including fingerprints, before my name change was approved.  The fact that my application was approved is the public's assurance that I had no criminal intent.

The reasonable requirement is that a candidate should put their current legal name on the ballot.  Requirements beyond that are unreasonable.  Backward states that do not have proper checks in place for name changes obviously don't mind people with criminal intentions.  Or they just like creating excuses to persecute innocent people.

35 minutes ago, KathyLauren said:

I had to have a criminal records check, including fingerprints, before my name change was approved. 

I had to do this as well, feds & state.  There were a lot of hoops to jump through.  I needed 2 notarized affidavits from neighbors, taxes, child support, etc.  and had to post it for 10 days at the courthouse.

It's not like changing your socks or something.

It seems obvious to me that this obscure law was used simply to harass the trans candidates.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-politics-and-policy/second-transgender-womans-candidacy-ohio-house-challenged-rcna133068

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 151 Guests (See full list)

• MaryEllen
    • Lorelei
    • Birdie
    • Ashley0616
    • Timi
    • Maddee
    • Abigail Genevieve