• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

When you feel disoriented in life what do you do?

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

When you feel disoriented in life what do you do?

Here's the usual pattern. I don't recommend it as a "How To" guide. Just observations based on my personal history.

Phase 1:

Get upset

Cry

Shut down

Phase 2:

Reach out to trusted support to vent and for advice. Could be friends, therapist, recovery groups, etc...

Stubbornly insist "nah it's fine, I got this (denial) until it becomes obvious I do not "got this."

Phase 3:

Take action. Follow Suggestions. Remember to be grateful for what I have instead of resentful for what I don't.

Keep moving forward. Losing momentum could result in slipping back into phase 1.

When my compass is malfunctioning, I know I can borrow someone else's. Good chance someone's been there before and might even have a map.

Try to reasonably figure out why and what happened. Try to reach out to others and get sound advice. Listen to music to help with the emotions.

Breathe. Focus on my breath. Listen. Unless the sounds are part of the disorientation, allow the sounds in my environment to massage my soul. Dwell on a song that fits the moment. Have faith that my head will indeed "get screwed on straight" as my mom used to say. Get to a point where I can move on to phases 2 and 3 that @Liz-Liz describes.