• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

SC Library Board Moves Trans-Themed Books Out of Children's Section

Carolyn Marie

I have mixed feelings about transgender kids' books in libraries.  It is a really, really delicate subject.  On one hand, I feel like parents who wish to address the topic with their kids ought to have access to age-appropriate literature to assist them.  On the other hand, I feel like kids probably shouldn't be exploring the topic without parental supervision...same with sex ed materials of any sort.  I believe that discussions and explorations of sex and gender topics should be family-led and intentional, rather than school-led or accidental. 

Of course, a question in my mind is whether children really browse the public library's collections without a parent around? And if they do, do they limit themselves to the children's sections?  I'm not sure what moving the materials around accomplishes?

I feel like it should be something that should be left alone and if they want to read it than more power to them. I do feel like kids should be kids and create a life full of hopes and dreams. It's a magical part of life. Is it wrong they removed it yes but it's not ending of the world type disappointment. In almost every way that trans has been taught to kids has been that we are the fun group and live life to the fullest. In a certain viewpoint we are grooming them. Heck who wouldn't want that kind of life. They only see the bright side and not the struggles and disappointments that we face every day. Life isn't always sunshine and rainbows. I have taught my kids both sides of the coin. They see how many people actually support us. They have seen neighbors go from friendly to ghost and the hatred of the world. I have shown them that sometimes the price of living your true self you pretty much stand alone. I can't show them the support for the community because there is next to none. The price you pay to live in a diehard red state. 

• Forum Moderator
On 3/2/2024 at 9:08 PM, awkward-yet-sweet said:

Of course, a question in my mind is whether children really browse the public library's collections without a parent around? And if they do, do they limit themselves to the children's sections?

At our local library in the Seattle area, it’s uncommon to see preteens unaccompanied. Most come with their parents. Others come to the library with their friends of similar age. I don’t see them perusing around the adult sections (except the movie DVD’s and music CD’s). I doubt these youngsters would look for these topics with their friends or a parents present.

When I was younger ~11 or 12 years old (early 1970’s), I would go to the library alone with the sole intention of finding anything I could regarding my increasing desire about wanting to be a girl. I was too embarrassed to ask for help finding this information. I also didn’t know where to start looking. I was never actually able to find anything specific to that topic way back then. I do wish I had been able to find something related but to my knowledge, these books were just not available at that time. It would’ve been a valuable resource had there been even one. I doubt I would’ve been able to check it out because of my shame. Reading about others like myself existing in this world would’ve helped me so much. As it turns out, the real shame is not having such resources available. IMHO, These book bans are the wrong answer. Hiding our existence by hiding our stories is pretty much what I did my entire childhood.

Susan R🌷

• Forum Moderator
4 hours ago, Susan R said:

I was never actually able to find anything specific to that topic way back then.

I would have loved to find something that related to my feelings.  Perhaps i would not have felt so ashamed or alone.  I could not talk to my parents.  They would have denied my reality and double downed on manning me up.  At that point 50'sand 60's i was a crime in hiding.  That is what the GOP is trying to create.  Hopefully knowledge rather than oppression wins out.  Regardless the reality of those of us out and about will not be forgotten,

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

"60 Minutes" did a really nice piece last night about the "Mom's For Liberty" group, which is largely responsible for the national book banning movement.  One town in South Carolina was featured; their library board looked into the list of 97 books recommended for banning by MFL and after one year of study, found only 5 worthy of being removed from the kid's section of the public library.  The interview with the two leaders of MFL was classic "60 Minutes;" they came out looking like fools and nut jobs.  :applause:

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

The MFL group has actually been voted out of several school boards recently, which is a good start to undo their mischief.  How many of them are actually mothers of children, and which of them are under investigation by Child Protective Services agencies?? 

I can't tell if the Moms for Liberty group is focused only on school libraries or if they look at general public libraries as well.  Because the purpose of those venues is rather different.  I see school libraries as a much more focused collection, especially for the younger grades. In this topic's headline story, the South Carolina library in question is a public library

I did check out some of the "60 Minutes" interview, and I'm suspicious.  Seems it was filmed in October but heavily edited and only released recently.  Typical establishment media stuff.  I think one of the worst things you can say about MFL is that they assumed the presentation would be unbiased and consented to participate.  I would have thought they'd be smarter than that. 

It seems the book banning efforts aren't particularly coordinated.  They get together in a group and rate books on a 1 to 5 scale on issues like nudity or sexual descriptions.  Local folks then see what titles are on the shelves, and decide whether they want to get rid of everything that's a 3 or greater, or just a 5....something like that.  I doubt efforts are consistent from place to place.