• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I finally stopped lying to myself and transitioned during lockdown. What caused you to finally do it

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

I finally stopped lying to myself and transitioned during lockdown. What caused you to finally do it

• Heather Shay changed the title to I finally stopped lying to myself and transitioned during lockdown. What caused you to finally do it
  • Forum Moderator

The bell rings, and it's time to do something about it 🙂 It's really a highly personal decision, my journey is not anyone else's. For me it was when the pain of doing nothing exceeded the apprehension of moving forward, that was 2010, I'm here today alive and well in 2024, firmly amongst the living. Transition fixes GD, put simply.....

C

One night my soon to be ex put make up on me and then I had to come out!

I thought that if I just crossdressed often enough that I could avoid doing anything further. Had a tough time doing that during the 'lockdown' and between that struggle and a Faceapp gender swap picture of me OUTSIDE, instead of hiding inside as always, kinda cracked the egg. 

39 minutes ago, MirandaB said:

I thought that if I just crossdressed often enough that I could avoid doing anything further. 

OMG, that's where I'm at now!!! Not involving outerwear away from home though.

Lockdown for me, meant growing my hair. I got buzz cuts for 25 years before that, then it grew and I liked it, then after lockdown I got a buzz cut again and I absolutely hated it. I have let my hair grow out ever since. Lockdown allowed me to glimpse into the future, and although I still have a way to go, it set me on a path.

Now, my hair is my best physical feature. Looking at it in the mirror, or feeling it against my body, affirms who I am. 

• Forum Moderator

I encountered a trans person in real life.  Until then, I had kind of assumed that being trans was something that only rarely happened to other people in exotic places like Denmark, and that it made them celebrities.  (Thinking of Christine Jorgensen and Renee Richards.)  It had never occurred to me that that could be me, in spite of all the hints.

But after seeing that a transgender woman could be a normal person and be treated as a normal person, the penny dropped and I started investigating.  It didn't take me long to realize that I was indeed trans.

I can almost hear my subconscious telling the conscious me, "Finally you get it, dummy!  I've been trying to tell you that for decades, but would you listen?  No-o-o!!"