• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Tennessee trip

Lorelei

My caving convention is in Tennessee this year and my wife thinks I should go as I always enjoy it. So I am going to register this week. I am still a little apprehensive about going to such a conservative state that seems unfriendly to transgender people. The trip I took in February has boosted my confidence in traveling in red states. Now that my identification documents show me as a female and I am passing pretty well I think I will be fine. Frequent shaving is very important as I still get a five o’clock shadow. My drivers license still has my old name and picture, but it does say I am a woman. I think I can get that resolved by the time I go. I used to sleep in my truck at rest areas, but I am no longer comfortable sleeping alone in them as I am now a woman. So if I get tired I’ll have to get a hotel room. Maybe I can nap at a rest area, but definitely not an overnight stay.  

The cavers I will be with are mostly very tolerant people so that is a relief. Showering concerns me since it is being held at a bible boarding school campus this year. Hopefully it has individual shower stalls, but if not I can wear a bathing suit. The dorms are already fully booked, so I’ll be camped in a tent on their property weather dependent (this is a designed camping area). If it is too hot or rainy I’ll get a hotel room again. That would also negate the shower concern. 

Tennessee has some of the best caves in the country, so I really do want to cave there as myself. Last time I went there was in October 2022, about 8 month's before my egg cracked. There is one cave in particular that I want to go to, Xanadu cave. I haven’t been to that one since 2007 and I loved it. As I now know from my Virginia/West Virginia trips in February, I know that I do not have the same endurance as I used to and to plan accordingly. I also would love to go to Valhalla pit and cave, but I don’t know if I have the endurance to climb out of the 224 foot rope climb. 

I would definitely agree with you on updating the picture on the driver's license. Tennessee is a nice state as long as you don't go to Memphis good grief it's bad there. 

• Forum Moderator

For sure get your drivers' license updated.  Around here, it takes about two weeks from the time you get your photo taken until the new license arrives in the mail.