• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The moisturizer question.

Mirrabooka

Up until fairly recently I never used moisturizer at all except for Sorbolene on my hands when they seasonally cracked. They don't do that anymore; it must have been a work thing. Nowadays I also use a smear of it to control frizz in my hair occasionally, especially if I don't tie it up (this was a hack from my hairdresser). Because my hair is getting longer, I am able to keep control of it without tying it up far more often than what I used to, hence more usage of the moisturizer (of course, other products like hairspray or mousse are better for hold). I typically put a bigger dollop of the moisturizer in my hands to begin with than what I need to, so the excess I just rub all over my hands. I really went overboard the other day and had so much excess that I just went ahead and decided to put it on my face! This was the first time ever that I had applied anything to my face apart from sunscreen and definitely the first time ever that it could be said that I used a beauty product on my skin! It felt nice!

I'm not into makeup - one reason I've never experimented with it is because my wife doesn't use it, so that option is just not there. I'm not about to go out and buy any either. The other reason is that I'm not trying to pass, even to myself. I Googled what daily moisturizing would do to my face and learnt a bit about when is the best time to apply it etc. What I didn't learn was (a) will it eventually make a noticeable difference to my complexion, and (b) over what time period? 

I intend to keep using it on my face because it feels nice to do so, but I am curious to know what effect it really will have. I don't let my face get sun damaged anyway, so will moisturizer actually do anything?

Hi M., I just saw this post and thought I'd comment.   

On 4/10/2024 at 4:29 AM, Mirrabooka said:

What I didn't learn was (a) will it eventually make a noticeable difference to my complexion, and (b) over what time period?

Moisturizer is good for skin health but other than keeping the skin moisturized, I wouldn't expect it to make much of a difference to your complexion, unless your moisturizer has retinol in it.  Products with retinol are supposed to soften fine lines and minimize wrinkles.  My experience with a retinol-based moisturizer hasn't really been significant.  I think I notice a slight improvement in my skin texture (it's less pebbly) but that's really all.  One thing to keep in mind is that male and female skin is different, the biggest difference is that male skin is thicker.  Therefore, products made for women tend to be less effective on male skin.  I don't know how much HRT changes skin thickness, so I can't say if retinol-based moisturizers would become more-effective for someone on HRT. 

For me, there are two reasons to use moisturizer daily.  The first is how good it makes my skin feel.  The second is, properly moisturized skin takes makeup so much better but it sounds as though that isn't an issue for you.  In my humble opinion, a good quality moisturizer, even it does not contain retinol, is really good for your face.    

• Forum Moderator

As a younger person i rarely used a moisturizer.  Maybe a bit on my hands if the ends of my fingers cracked in the winter.  Now, in my mid 70's, my skin is like an old belt or leather boot.  It seems cracked and flaky.  I anoint myself with oils especially after a shower.  It simply makes life more comfortable and feels good on this old gal.

Hugs,

Charlize

Hi @Mirrabooka!

Gosh, maybe 30 years ago I drastically shifted my facial skin care routine, and I think it has made a tremendous difference as I've aged. Caveat being - I have no way of really knowing what I would look like if I hadn't changed my routine - but looking at other males my age, and considering my lifestyle (geologist and outdoors enthusiast) - it seems pretty obvious that my routine has helped.

The routine was simple. Stop using traditional after-shave products. (I mean really! What sick mind thought - hey - what's the best thing to put a skin that has just been scraped by a blade - hmmm - how about alcohol!) Seriously. Even expensive Italian aftershaves had an alcohol base. 

Instead, I started using ... I'll be specific ... Jason 84% Aloe Vera Lotion as an aftershave.  

https://www.jason-personalcare.com/product/soothing-84-aloe-vera-hand-body-lotion/

(I've worked with enough engineers to know that they would specify "or equivalent")

I also use a sunscreen with a high SPF. 

Since my egg cracked, I've upped my game. I've been using CeraVe products (facial cleanser, AM and PM facial moisturizing lotions, eye repair cream). I've stopped scrubbing my face with soap and/or splashing with water as often as I used to - usually just cleansing before bed and rinsing in the shower. After about 6 months of this, I think I see improvement in my skin and complexion. Also using good moisturizing lip balms regularly which has bought back some color and even a bit of fullness to my lips. 

So yeah. I think a good routine plus time does work. 

Also - it's pricy but if you can splurge I think it's worth it now and then - especially if you don't do makeup. Elizabeth Arden City Smart. It's a tinted sunscreen, environment protective product. Just a few little dabs spread with the fingertips is all it takes. It's also a bit of a gateway drug to makeup because the tinting acts as very subtle concealer. 

https://www.elizabetharden.com/products/prevage-city-smart-broad-spectrum-spf-50-hydrating-shield?_pos=1&_psq=city+smart&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Speaking of which - I carry a small makeup case with Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser/Concealer. Again, little dabs spread with the fingertips make a world of difference. I don't use it regularly - but it really helps soften up the look of my face - making spider veins, etc much more subtle. Maybelline has an excellent phone app to help pick the perfect color. 

https://www.maybelline.com/face-makeup/concealer/instant-age-rewind-eraser-dark-circles-concealer-treatment?variant=122

Have fun! 

-Timi