• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hate Crimes Bill

Guest Justme

Guest Justme

Dear Friends,

We have good news: The Senate is likely to vote on the Hate Crimes Prevention Act, S.909, as early as next Wednesday, July 15. As you may remember, the companion bill, H.R.1913, already passed the House of Representatives this past April after NCTE's successful lobby day. With a final push, you can help to make this important bill become a law.

This bill expands the coverage of existing hate crime laws to include crimes not only based on race, color, religion, and national origin, but also bias-motivated crimes based on the victim's actual pr perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or disability.

TAKE ACTION

Call your Senators on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, July 15, call your senators toll free at 866-659-9641 between 9am and 5pm ET.

It is vital that they hear from you since they will also be hearing from those who oppose this bill. Urge your Senator to vote in support of S.909, the Hate Crimes Prevention Act. Please take this important step to help address the violence faced by transgender people.

WHAT THE BILL SAYS

The Hate Crimes Prevention Act, S.909, would:

Extend existing federal protections to include "gender identity, sexual orientation, gender and disability"

Allow the Justice Department to assist in hate crime investigations at the local level when local law enforcement is unable or unwilling to fully address these crimes

Mandate that the FBI begin tracking hate crimes based on actual or perceived gender identity

Remove limitations that narrowly define hate crimes to violence committed while a person is accessing a federally protected activity, such as voting.The Hate Crimes Prevention Act is supported by nearly 300 civil rights, education, religious, and civic organizations. The bill is also endorsed by virtually every major law enforcement organization in the country-including the International Association of Chiefs of Police, the National District Attorneys Association, the National Sheriffs Association, the Police Executive Research Forum, and thirty-one state Attorneys General.

For more information:

Read the specifics about this legislation from the Library of Congress, go to their website and search by bill S.909

View our fact sheet about the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act (the House version of this bill) and read additional information about hate crimes on our website

I've been looking that up on www.loc.gov but I've been unable to find it. Can you link me to a page with information on this? I am unable to make phone calls but if there's any way for me to support it online (via email or anything along those lines) I sure as heck will.

愛 Eth

Guest Justme

Hi Eth. If you go into the website....www.nctequality.org.....that will give you the info . Just went into it myself to be sure. The original message came from Mara Keilsling, so that's why I sent it on to this forum. And thanks for your willingness to be an activist. You are awesome!

So just send a message to your state's senator, no matter what state you are in, asking them to vote in favor of the Hate Crimes Prevention Act, S.909?

Is that all I need to do? If so, I think I can contact mine online and that'd be great and easy!

愛 Eth

Guest Justme

Hey Eth. From what I have heard...that is all you need to do. either send an e-mail to your senator or call the office. Thanks for doing that. Hope more on this site will follow. Change will only happen if we all band together.

So just send a message to your state's senator, no matter what state you are in, asking them to vote in favor of the Hate Crimes Prevention Act, S.909?

Is that all I need to do? If so, I think I can contact mine online and that'd be great and easy!

愛 Eth

I took some of what was said in this topic and used it in my message to my senator. Here is what I sent out:

I have heard that the senate is likely to vote on the Hate Crimes Prevention Act, S.909 possibly as early as Wednesday, July 15.

This bill expands the coverage of existing hate crime laws to include crimes not only based on race, color, religion, and national origin, but also bias-motivated crimes based on the victim's actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or disability.

I would like to please ask you to vote in favor of this bill. I am a teenager living in Pennsylvania who identifies as transgender. I know many people who also identify as transgender who have been victims of hate crimes, and only recently have any steps really been taken to appropriately punish the perpetrators or to acknowledge such events as true "hate crimes". The FBI and law enforcement in most areas do not keep records or track hate crimes based on actual or perceived gender identity. The passing of this bill would serve to end that once and for all, and I firmly believe that that would make a better future for youth like me- who, although we are not yet able to vote, still pay close attention to these matters and want our voices to be heard.

Please vote in favor of the Hate Crimes Prevention Act, S.909.

Thank you.

Hopefully that will serve to help make a difference. I too hope that others follow suit and voice their support as well.

愛 Eth

My friend just wrote some great letters to several senators in New York as well. Come on guys - we can definitely work together to make these things happen!

愛 Eth