• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is Hrt A Shape-shifter 'and' A Form Of Anti-depressant???

Guest Zenda

HRT's Mental & Physical effects  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that HRT is a form of ?anti-depressant? ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure
  2. 2. As taking HRT really improve your overall mental stability?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Really
  3. 3. Or do you believe HRT just has a ?placebo? effect of an anti-depressant, making one feel calmer, knowing one is taking steps to alter their body?

• Yes
    • No
    • Possibly

Guest Zenda

Kia Ora,

:rolleyes: Ok it's not a very sophisticated poll but then nor am I... ;)

Now according to research the onset of depression can be triggered by quite a number of things - ‘Gender dysphoria’ just being one of them and from what I gather many members here seem to be in agreement that once on HRT their deep bouts of depression gradually decreased…

I personally believe that HRT can help stimulate the serotonin in the brain which helps fend off depression just by the person 'knowing' that they are truly on the road to affirming their true gender identity by taking a 'body' altering substance...Well that's my theory anyway...

So hence this poll..

Thanks for participating

Metta Jendar :)

Guest S. Chrissie

I voted yes for all 3.

I personally believe that HRT can help stimulate the serotonin in the brain which helps fend off depression just by the person 'knowing' that they are truly on the road to affirming their true gender identity by taking a 'body' altering substance...Well that's my theory anyway...

That's what I believe too. I kept asking myself, and some of those during chatroom meetings here on whether the feel-good feelings they have after starting HRT are merely placebo effects.

For me, it was all a relieve that I started, knowing that my body won't be placed under the mercy of T and whatever it has in store for me. A huge burden off my shoulders, if you will and that actually made me feel a lot better.

Sherlyn

Guest tapiarachael

Hmm I beleive it does have an anti-deppressant effect on transsexuals but personally for me, I didn't feel immedietly better after. It took a while for it to start kicking in so maybe it is the placebo effect for others, but i also think it has to do a lot with brain chemistry and the brain sensing what hormone levels are appropriate for its sex. (Idk thats what my doctor who works at an LGBT clinic said and that's what I'd heard before)

Just because it's a placebo effect doesn't mean it's not real. Even if there's no chemical reason for it, knowing that you're taking steps to address the dysphoria could take a lot of weight off your mind.

Guest CharlieRose

I guess it could be an antidepressant, but only for the right people. (Which makes it not an antidepressant at all, just the psychological benefits of being on the right path.)

If you gave my dad a shot of estrogen, I doubt it'd make him very happy. And if you gave Lucas Silveira a shot of testosterone, even though he is transsexual, I doubt he'd be happy, either. (He's a singer who decided to stay pre-T so he didn't change/wreck his voice)

Weird thing, though, a day or so after I took testosterone, my concentration was a lot better and I actually wanted to write, a lot, which I never do. (I prefer to imagine I'm writing. :P I is lazy) So maybe that was a psychological side effect.

Guest AllisonD
For me, it was all a relieve that I started, knowing that my body won't be placed under the mercy of T

Sherlyn

OH! I hadn't actually considered that when I voted (no, yes, possibly). I should have thought of that. But when I was following that part of my path, just starting HRT, I had long since lost the boys. They were on my 'dispatch with EXTREME prejudice' list as soon as I reached 18. I didn't find an opportunity for HRT until after I had transitioned for some years.

Allison

Is HRT an anti-depressant? - No, anti-depressants are used to mask or relieve the depression - HRt is used to work on the cause of the depression.

Does it improve your mental stability - yes, but only in the areas of gender dysphoria it can not help OCD or MPD or other major mental aborations.

And the third is a definite yes because most people feel the calming effects long before the levels are even sltered much less reversed.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Elizabeth K

I went nuts on HRT for a while - but the Dr and I were also trying out progesterone for ten days a month (helps breast development supposedly - I think it does). It made me extremely sad for the time I was on it. Since then my brain has apparently adjusted. My theory is the HRT finally fuels our female mindset brain with the proper fuel (MTF of course - donno about FTM) - and we settle in to what we are supposedly needing all the while.

I have gotten much better now - but I had to get on mood enhancers - still on them - to relieve self distructive tendancies (the opposite of what you would expect) but I had a terrible eight months on the home-front, which may mean my HRT at the same time was NOT the cause of depression.

BUT - oh yes - knowing I was on my way (FINALLY) really was a boost. Not sure if it was psychological (was certainly that at first) or not in the long run? I would suggest possibly. I have lost so much aggression (MTF remember) and have developed such a loving nature (or I might have had it - but can now let it out) on the HRT, my life has changed drastically - and the 'body shape' changes don't hurt - GRIN.

AHHHHHHHHHH

Lizzy

Guest Donna Jean

Well......

I do know that the placebo effect hit me within seconds of that very first pill!

It was an immediate feeling for me....and I know that the pill had nothing to do with it...it could of been an asprin for all I knew!

It just completely changed my mindset!

Hugg

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K
Well......

I do know that the placebo effect hit me within seconds of that very first pill!

It was an immediate feeling for me....and I know that the pill had nothing to do with it...it could of been an asprin for all I knew!

It just completely changed my mindset!

Hugg

Donna Jean

You know what? Those estadoil tablets look a lot like 'Aleive" - hey!!! WAIT......

[back] - no - okay. They are a bit smaller...

WHEW

And a placedo - a sugar pill - would taste sweet... WAIT...

OH NO!

All this is just psychologica! nooooooooo

Guest AllisonD
You know what? Those estadoil tablets look a lot like 'Aleive" - hey!!! WAIT......

[back] - no - okay. They are a bit smaller...

WHEW

And a placedo - a sugar pill - would taste sweet... WAIT...

OH NO!

All this is just psychologica! nooooooooo

If you can grow boobs using a placebo my hat is off to you!

Besides, you are getting cuter. I can tell. Placebo? No. Happiness? Maybe.

Allison

Guest angie

It was the Provera you were using as your progesterone.

Provera has been proven to make you/us depressed,so don't use it.

A progesterone so early in transition is none essential,and should only

be considered after the first two years. I tried Microgest and Provera,

found that I do not need the added expense for the temporary swelling

they give you.After you stop,there goes preggo boobs in a matter of weeks.

....Truth

I found when I started HRT that after one month on my full regimen,I was

very calm and happy.I was giving my body and mind that which it craved,

the calming influence of estrogen and the lowering of my T to that of natal

women.Do I consider it a placebo effect? No. After over two years on HRT,

I can honestly say it stays with you.And I absolutely love the feminine feelings

and emotions that are such a part of my new life.

Hugs,

Angie

Guest Zenda

Kia Ora,

Another theory… :rolleyes: What does go on in her brain???? :wacko:

It’s possible all the depressive states felt by trans-people can be ‘directly’ linked to their gender ‘dysphoria’…For example ones lack of self esteem-the ongoing negative self talk-Sub consciously ones brain/mind ‘struggling’ to come to terms with how society perceives their body form, causing the chemical imbalance, triggering a domino effect of negative self talk affirmations…

Many trans-people[but not all] have no idea what it was they/we actually felt as a child-just the overwhelming feeling of being ‘different’ but not quite knowing why…Nowadays thanks to the internet many young people can get a sense of understanding and belonging by connecting with like ‘minded’ people through the internet…

Anisley,[stranded out there] brought this internet connective-ness up a while ago in one of his threads…

For some members, their form of anti-depressant ‘placebo’ is just doing ‘it’[Joanna Phipps comes to mind]= being true to themselves going 24/7 even before going on HRT…Their minds are gradually becoming free of the mental social male/female bondage…The oppressive dark clouds that once blocked out the clear blue sky and sunlight are gradually dispersing with each step one takes…I'm not saying that this method is right way to go for every trans-person...

Now as usual all that I write[what happens to be floating though my mind at the time] could be a load of crap, but it does seem to make a lot of sense though... well to me it does…

:rolleyes: Come to think of it the comments on this thread[including the ongoing poll results] could in themselves be contributing psychologically to the ‘positive’ anti-depressant placebo effect…Which in itself is not such a bad thing… B)

• 1 month later...
Guest Joanna Phipps
Kia Ora,

:rolleyes: Ok it's not a very sophisticated poll but then nor am I... ;)

Now according to research the onset of depression can be triggered by quite a number of things - 'Gender dysphoria' just being one of them and from what I gather many members here seem to be in agreement that once on HRT their deep bouts of depression gradually decreased…

So hence this poll..

Thanks for participating

Buenos Noches (its 2:54 am as I write this)

There are probably many things going on that contribute to the effects your list. I can only speak from my own experience; I know that since I have started my transition (first the RLT and now FINALLY HRT) my need for my antidepressants has dwindeled to 0 (this with no change in any of the external or domestic stressors), my need for my sleeping pills has gone from two a night to 1/2 or none a night and I also find that I need almost none of the Ritalin I had been prescribed (they thought I was ADD). The only change in the house has been me beginning my transition and settling into my new life.

Does it help with mental stability, maybe since we finally dont have to hide who we truly are. If you ask my GF and SO (the same person) as far as mood stability goes im off the wall. She has told me its like living with someone on PMS for a horridly long time. I know that I am generally happier now than I have been in ages, my therapist commented on it at my last appointment. I am no longer as harsh, loud or demanding.

Placebo effect, not so sure about that since there are many of us on this board and we all seem to be having similar experiences. I know one thing that has helped is to have a group, like the wonderful ladies on this site, to talk to, bounce ideas off, run screaming to when my 'team' thinks they have ideas other than what I know I must do for myself. HRT can do many things for a person, not the least of which is give us back our self-respect and self-esteem. Laura's and places like it can give us the sense of community and of community support durring a time where our entire lives are in flux and many of us find ourselve either alone or very nearly so, after having lost many who we thought were important on that day we came out to them.

Gracias