• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Time Has Come

Guest kelise

Guest kelise

If anyone's been watching my profile status these past two months, they've surely noticed I've been counting down the dayss. As of this post, I am 3 days away from boarding an plane for Colorado, and 5 days from my sugery with Dr. Marci Bowers. I decided to start this topic which I will update as close to daily as I can, to chronicle every step I take though my surgery.

Yesterday was my last day of work for two months, and was also the night of my going-away party at my favorite nightclub, Revolutions. I've been going to Revs on Sat nights (lesbian night) practically weekly since I started living full-time 3 years ago. The staff and I are so close that until recently when I started school and couldn't go as often, if I missed a night, someone was sure to call me at home to make sure I was ok. So many people showed up for me, I wanted to cry. Almost my entire support group came, as well as a few girls from work. I got so drunk. The highlight of the evening was at midnight, when the Les Vixen's Burlesque show began. Ivy, the MC and dear friend of mine, pulled me up on stage, introduced me and gave the whole club my good news (she asked my permission ahead of time). Everyone cheered so loud. The rest of the night I had total strangers coming up and congratulating me, wishing me luck, and telling me how good I looked and they'd never guess I was trans. I felt like a rock star!

So that was Surgery Day -6, and that's how I'll continue this thread, with Daily updates of what happened each day. Feel free to comment. I love you all! Tune in tomorrow for Surgery Day -5!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• Carolyn Marie

• Paula ult

• JJ

Guest Donna Jean

Sweetheart.....

They say that mixed emotions is watching your mother-in-law drive over a cliff....in your new Buick...

And that's what i have for you....I'm so happy for you (and yes, I've been watching your profile countdown) that you're at this wonderful point in your transition....

But, I am so dang jealous! (but, I'll work past that....)

This thread will get a lot of traffic, because so many of us want to support you and read all you'll have to say about what's happening...

Some of us (me, Lizzy and Sally, for instance) have our surgery letters in hand, so, you can see what our interest in this is...We'll be on this thread like white on rice!

Let me ask you, Hon......are you driving out? Flying out? Who's going with you?

Gee, I have so many questions....

Seriously, Kelise....you are brave and admired....And I am totally happy for you!

HUGGS & LOVE!

Donna Jean

Guest Cowboy

Congrats! Hope the surgery goes smooth, as well as your trip there.

And remember.. let the anesthesia wear off before tryin to walk on your own. laugh.gif

Congrats and good luck! biggrin.gif

Guest Rachel?

Kairi,

You've been probs my biggest role model, and I adore you. i'm super happy/proud of you and i hope that this next week will be nothing but happiness for you

Rachel

Guest ~Brenda~

Dearest Kelise,

I am so very glad to see you coming through with complete satisfaction of reaching your goals and yourself.

You have made it hon :)

All my love

Brenda

Kelise dear,

I am so happy for you, i am sure these next 6 days will fly by, my day will come next year.

Paula

Guest Donna Jean

Oh, Paula....

My bad...

I forgot to mention that you are on countdown, too...

It's not 6 days, but you're scheduled!

Luck on you, too, Honey!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest BeckyTG

Kelise,

How strange life is....

I just got back from Trinidad a few hours ago. I drove a girlfriend out there and we had dinner last night at Black Jack's Saloon downtown. Rino's wasn't open yet and I had to eat and get back on the road to get home.

She is scheduled for surgery Thursday and I'm picking her up in a few weeks when she's fit enough for car travel.

I hope I get to meet you when I come back.

My very best wishes to you and congratulations for achieving the final steps to physical completeness. I've met a number of Dr. Bower's former patients and she gets rave reviews from all of them. Robin will make sure you are well taken care of.

I'll be praying for you, as well as my friend.

Hugs,

Becky

Guest kelise

To Everyone: Thank you all so much, you are all so sweet!For those who are also scheduled for the near future, I too wish you well and the time will pass faster than you think.

To Donna Jean: Yes I'm flying:) No, unfortunately I will be going solo. We just don't have to money for my GF to take off work and the extra travel expense. I'm a tough girl though, I'm sure I'll be fine. My Mom was going to surprise me a come along, but she found out she's having heart surgery scheduled for today! unsure.gifsad.gif

To Becky TG: That is an awesome coincidence! I would love to meet you as well. We'll have to meet up at some point.

Update! Well, today marks 2 days to Trinidad and Surgery Day -5! Last night I had another blast. My best friend Joanie, who's been by my side through my entire journey, and a group of other friends, all went to Universal's Halloween Horror Nights, as is tradition for us for since 2007. I friggin' LOVE that place! Despite a little drama unrelated to me, we had an awesome time. Joanie was sweet enough to buy me an express pass so we could get through all 8 haunted houses with no lines. If anyone's near Orlando, they should definatly go!!!

Well, I'm now off to go sit at the hospital and wait for my Mom to get out of heart surgery. I'll update you all on her status tomorrow.

Guest Donna Jean

Best wishes for your mom today, Hon.....I'm sure that she'll be just fine....

'

And you ARE a brave girl to be going over there solo...I've been to Thailand several times, but the last time will be the best time....

And I know that everything will fine for you, too...

Thank you for thinking of us during all of this...

BIGG HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest kelise

Update: Surgery Day -4! Today was my mom's heart surgery. We knew she'd be in there at least 6 hours. So I took Marissa to her Dr. appointment, and we went to buy the rest of my medical stuff. I dropped Marissa off at work and went home to do hw I got the call mom was ok about 3:45. I went to the hospital to see her, stayed there until about 9, and then came home to start packing.

Speaking of medical supplies, Ive got:

Maxi pads

pantiliners

douche

lube (lots of it)

foam donut

bed pads

hand mirror

and triple antibiotic cream

Is there anything else anyone can think of that I will need?

Guest KimberlyF

Kelise,

Hope your mom gets better.

I'm so happy for you. I'm kinda sitting here crying (in the Orlando area ironically enough lol). As has been my custom the last 20 years I kinda just cry when people get to this point in their life if I read about it or see it on a docu on TV and then for years I'd tell myself I didn't need that...I was just really happy that they were happy :rolleyes:

Kim

Guest sarah f

I am so glad to see your mom's surgery went well and she is ok. Know here comes the most important surgery of your life. I am so happy for you.

Guest Donna Jean

Update: Surgery Day -4!

Speaking of medical supplies, Ive got:

Maxi pads

pantiliners

douche

lube (lots of it)

foam donut

bed pads

hand mirror

and triple antibiotic cream

Is there anything else anyone can think of that I will need?

Uh, Popcicles.....

But they don't travel very well...

Honey...I'm so happy to hear about your mom...so now, you'll not have that on your mind while you are there...

Will you have computer access there?

LOVE & HUGGS, Girlfriend....

Donna Jean

Guest kelise

I'm in Trinidad!!!! Other than flying here in a VW Beetle with wings, and a rediculous number of houseflies in my room, it's been a great trip getting here. No worries though. If I had to flap my wings to get here and sleep in a dumpster, I'd still be here.

Update! Surgery day -3 Today was Marissa and I's 11 month anniversary. She made me feel like crap for going to class in the morning, but I got her back when she went to work in the afternoon. After that I went to my last pre-op t-support group. Of course that was a lot of hugging and crying and wishing well. I love everyone!

Guest lilone4ever

hey hey hey, stop making me look bad lol. I only made a fuss cuz u said u were going to be gone for a few hours and i wanted to spend time with u since we are going to be apart for 2 weeks. Tonight is going to be the hardest I think.

Anyway for my side of this story Ive been up since 330 this morning to drop her off at the airport andf then go work both of my jobs, Im not able to make it out to Trinidad with her due to finances and since im a manager in a small restuarnt its almost impossible to get that much time off of work. The day of surgery I did take off of work because i doubt I will be able to focus at work. So I will be spending the day with friends.

Im going to try to go to her t-support group meeting next week though to give them the update for her.

Kairi, I love you and I miss you already,

I think its bed tiem i am exhausted. Ill post again soon

Guest BeckyTG

I'm in Trinidad!!!! Other than flying here in a VW Beetle with wings, and a rediculous number of houseflies in my room, it's been a great trip getting here. No worries though. If I had to flap my wings to get here and sleep in a dumpster, I'd still be here.

Update! Surgery day -3 Today was Marissa and I's 11 month anniversary. She made me feel like crap for going to class in the morning, but I got her back when she went to work in the afternoon. After that I went to my last pre-op t-support group. Of course that was a lot of hugging and crying and wishing well. I love everyone!

Kairie,

I visited with my girlfriend last night for a while. She was able to visit with some other girls who were just done days before. She felt very reassured that they were comfortable, the care was first-class and the staff was all wonderful, warm and accepting.

Her overall demeanor shifted to calm confidence with the entire process.

I hope that your experience reflects this and you have a wonderful time while you are there.

I'll be thinking of you, as well as my girlfriend. She walks in the front door in a half hour.

Hugs,

Becky

Guest kelise

Update! Surgery day -2! Well, as my beautiful SO said, today we got our butts out of bed at 3:30 am to make it to the airport by 5. After we parked and got my boarding passes and checked my bag, we went over to the food court and had McDonald's breakfast as we said our goodbyes. She watched me go through the line at security, which I passed through with no problem. However, no sooner had I put my shoes back on that I get a phone call. Marissa tells me we forgot the check for Robin to drive me from Colorado Springs to Trinidad. Not having any other choice, I circle back aroud through the exit and meet her in front to give me the check, and I wait in line at security AGAIN, explaining the situation to every single officer I pass. This time, I forget to remove my belt, which sets off the metal detector, which gets me pegged for additional screening. So I'm taken into the big glass box, as the officer shuts me in I hear, "We need a female secondary screener!" and in walks a female officer. She has me stand with my arms out and slides her gloved hands down each arm, then has me hold my hair up while she pats down my back sides and stomach. Then the legs. I cringe as she gets very close to finding my "weapon of mass destruction", but she doesn't, and a few minutes later, I'm realeased on my merry way to the gate, where they are already boarding the plane to Houston. That flight was ok, then the hour and a half layover at George Bush Int'l ( :lol: ). The last leg was in the smallest plane I've ever seen. It only had 3 seats across, and no room in the overhead compartment, so I had to stuff my carry-on under my seat. 2 hours squished between sleeping girl and window, and I arrived in Colorado Springs.

I called Mom, and she's home and doing fine. Then I called Robin, who picked me up and we had a very nice 2 hour conversation on the way to Trinidad. After I checked in to the Best Western, I took a walk to check out Trinidad. It's a nice little town. The mountains are very pretty. Definately couldn't live here. I'm a big city girl. Antique shops aren't really my thing. I didn't get far when it started to rain, so I cut my expedition short and went straight to Safeway, to get a galon of drinking water for my "cocktail" tomorrow, some microwaveable cups, spoons, a few liters of Sprite, a few cans of chicken broth, and a pint of Ben and Jerry's Half Baked. Then I walked to Taco Bell for dinner, and headed back to the hotel. I ate my ice cream while I watched a Netflix movie, and then did my psyche hw.

Update II! Double whammy cause I don't think I'll be in any condition to write tomorrow. Surgery day -1! I barely slept last night. I'm still on East coast time. I set my alarm for 7am, but I woke up at 5. So I watched the Jesus channel tell me how I'm destroying the country and going to hell, then a little VH1, and finally an episode of Archie Bunker and Sanford and Son before I got up and ready. I met Janet and Becky's friend in the hotel lobby, and Janet drove us over to Dr. Bower's office. I filled out paperwork and was taken back to an exam room. After a little while Dr. Bowers herself walks through the door. (I was a little star struck). She gave me a hug and we talked about the procedure. I told her my concerns about donor skin and that if it comes down to it, I'd rather have a shallow vagina than some big ugly donor site scars on my thighs. She explained the process of healing and what to expect as far as orgasms go. I told her that I've been practicing and with Marissa's help and a lot of imagination, I've already been able to achieve female level orgasms by focusing on the parts of "it" that will be my clitoris. She was impressed.

So then she stepped out and had me undress, and when she checked me out she said, "oh, don't worry about a thing. You've got plenty of skin! We could go to China and still put curtains on that thing!" So that alleviated those worries.

Next I was sent over to the hospital, where I filled out more paperwork, was given two Dulcolax tabs, filled out MORE paperwork, and had blood drawn. I got my ID bracelets, and they say "F"! Then we went over to then Hometown Pharmacy (Oh my goodness? No Walgreens?) to get my GALLON of GoLytly Bowel Prep (I don't think I'll be going "lightly" at all) and now I'm back at the hotel, anxiously awaiting 3pm to start drinkin. I had a can of chicken broth, and the Dulcolax is already getting my going, I haven't even started yet!!

Well tomorrow's the big day! I'll post on Sat. :wub: