• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michelle 2010

Barely There Makeup

Michelle 2010

I haven't seen these types of products discussed here but thought some folks might be interested in reading and contributing. There are several products I wear regularly that are targeted to GGs and they're in my comfort zone to buy and wear.

Here are three to start with:

Burts Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with pomegranate. waxy wet pink in the tube and almost but not quite invisible on.

Neutrogena Healthy Defense daily moisturizer with sheer hint of color Light Tint SPF 30

Great Lash Clear Mascara (I'll throw it in the grocery cart along with the food)

All can be bought at any major drug store. None will "out" you if you don't want to be but will allow you to feel kind of specialsmile.gif

Anyone else?

Carolyn Marie

Great topic, Michelle.

Of course, every line of cosmetics has a clear or very pale shade of nail polish. I use Sephora's (J.C. Penney's) "Bare to Be Different" shade during the week, as I'm not out at work yet.

Carolyn Marie

Guest sarah f

Great topic, Michelle.

Of course, every line of cosmetics has a clear or very pale shade of nail polish. I use Sephora's (J.C. Penney's) "Bare to Be Different" shade during the week, as I'm not out at work yet.

Carolyn Marie

How shiny is the polish Carolyn? I find most polish to be really shiny.

Me I finally decided to wear foundation and a little blush today to my friends house. They didn't notice or didn't say anything if they did. I might try that at work tomorrow and see how it goes.

Michelle 2010

Me I finally decided to wear foundation and a little blush today to my friends house. They didn't notice or didn't say anything if they did. I might try that at work tomorrow and see how it goes.

Sarah, look at the Neutrogena when you in a Walgreens etc. The color out of the container looks like makeup but is translucent enough to even out a little but not a lot. Very neutral. Its my daily application against Florida sun.

Also, Carolyn Marie, over the years I've played with the clears and light pinkish nail polishes but never with friends or work. BTW, years ago I discovered a buffing cream that shines like polish but did not have the obvious coated look of polish. Since it was done with a manual nail buffer I had some control over the degree of shine. I did use it a few times in social or work situations. When fully buffed it shined like polish but it was the nail, not paint. pretty cool. It had to come from a beauty supply store. Of course back then I was real deep in the closet, lol!

Michelle

Carolyn Marie

It's less shiny than true clear coat that I've used before. I think that's because its slightly opaque. No one has ever mentioned noticing it at work.

Carolyn Marie

Michelle 2010

So this topic got me looking around in the drug store. The Neutrogena product I mentioned earlier sometimes is unavailable and I saw a new Aveeno tinted moisterizer with SPF. When I took it to the cosmetic counter to pay for it the young lady said, "you know this is tinted?" My response was, "I understand". We don't need to explain our purchasescool.gif

Btw, the Aveeno is far less translucent and more makeup like than the Neutrogena so I used Ponds Cold Cream under it to make sure it thinned out evenly. Then it looked fine. A little more coverage than the Neutrogena, which is ok but needed something under it to not look like a heavy foundation.

Lots of readers... any more ideas? I like the low gloss polish idea Carolyn Marie. I'll have to get some.

Huggs

Michelle

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

As a side note to this wonderful thread, clear mascara is excellent if you're new to wearing it and not used to putting it on. Highly recommended as a starter mascara while you practice and get good at applying it before you move on to the regular black.

Guest Valerie

Hello Ladies;

Ahh, nail polish. I do like several different types. However, for the last three months at wotk I have been wearing my Clear coat (Sally Hansen Advanced Hard as nails) it has a real nice shine and lasts for several weeks. Then for the last two months I have started adding a glittery top coat, called Boundless Color (Cover Girl). This has a shiny finish and the glitter gives off a light purple color. This week I have been trying a new Gold color glitter top coat called Gold Standard (Cover Girl). It does not have the shinny finish that I really like, but more of a satin finish. I have also been using a polishing pad before I put on my base coat and the rest, this really makes my nails shine.

Yes, I am still in male mode at work. I ahve received a few comments from the guys and a lot of compliments from the ladies I work with.

/Love

Valerie

Guest Kayla Michelle

If you use a very small amount of eyeliner (has to be pencil) on the upper lid, it works really well and most people don't notice at all

I usually wear some every day and I'm not out yet ^^

Michelle 2010

Loreal True Match Blendable spf 17 is a very opaque make up that my wife used to cover a bruise. When she no longer wanted it I played with it and found something worth sharing. I mix it @ 10:1 Ponds cold cream to makeup and use it as a moisturizer and it has a barely detectable tint when rubbed in...Very nice.

Michelle

VickySGV

This may be regional, but "guy liner" is popular in some areas, and is acceptable for guys to wear. It is your ordinary eyeliner, but with some color guides, Kevyn Aucoin who was a very renowned makeup artist until his death about 3 years ago used it on a lot of his male clients.

Use a crayon type eyeliner (Cover Girl, Maybelline, and some house brands at the major drug stores) right above your upper lash --

For blond or auburn hair (on your head), use a topaz brown

For dark brown hair, use a medium brown

For balck hair, use a black/brown

Hold the outer corner of the eye and make one line from the outside corner to the inside corner of the eye. Use the fine tip crayon type though, They come in a twist out mechanical pencil type case. if you wipe a finger on the upper edge of the line, it will smudge, and show color, but not an obvious line. As I said though, its acceptable even for the guys in some areas.

Michelle 2010

Ok ladies heres one more... hmmm, 800 views and 10 posts, lol!

A nice barely there nail polish. Not as shiny as a clearcoat and slightly frosted which dulls it a little and kinda matches nail color...

Its Revlon 006 Sheer Pink. Real nice and subtle. I wear it out and about all the time.

Michelle

Guest rita63

I've beeen using the Revlon 006 polish with no comments but some times I get self consious about it. I can't use it at work because I work with food. The Burts Bees lip balm works well and makes my lips feel moister and fuller. Stll looking for the Neutrogena and will have to find Vick's crayons. Will try the Aveeno too.

Thanks girls

hugs rita

Michelle 2010

Ok Girls... Here's another one i discovered :)

Like the Revlon 006 Sheer Pink, it has a luster but not a BIG SHINE like some of the top coats and clears... Its called

Spaghetti Strap by Essie. I think I like it better than the Revlon. The pink in the bottle is a little more pronounced than the Revlon, but if your natural nail is pinkish (rather than brown skin under the nail), it goes on really subtle and with a lustre not an in your face shine. Again, thats SpaghettiStrap...!Oh, and isn't the name cute??? It will make you feel feminine but not make you want to put your hands in your pockets from being self conscious...

Michelle

Guest ~DeeDee~

Toki Doki (at Sephora) has a cool Lip shine called Ciao Ciao that goes on clear and is not incredibly shiny, it just makes your lips feel less neglected and a lot softer and smoother. It also has a very faint hint of mint which I like too. Another one I have really come to love is NARS Pure sheer spf lip treatment. Like pretty much anything NARS it is awesome. I has a slight bit of sparkle to it but if anyone can tell no one cares as I have been wearing it while at work lately and haven't heard a peep even from the couple people that I am out to.I have been using the color Greta which comes super close to my natural lip color.

Guest *Charlotte P*

I have been wearing light colored eye shadow for a couple of years now. You can find lighter shades in all of the collections. My latest acquisition is Maybelline, 15S linen. It is very light and pretty much invisible when on. I have also gotten away with using two shades of shadow darker as the base and lighter on the eyelid. No one has ever noticed but the wife and she was looking for it. Also when doing the shadow, I almost always use a light coat of mascara, but since I have really great lashes to start with, no one ever thinks twice about it.

Have done light polish on the toes, but never on the hands, though after reading thru here I just might. Have also used foundation done very lightly a few times with no one being the wiser at work.

Have been on the search for a lip gloss that's light enough and not too shiny, but so far everything is too shiny or it's obvious I'm wearing color on my lips.. oh well the search continues..

Charlotte