• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How Easy Is It To 'learn' Makeup

Guest tiffany_marie

Guest tiffany_marie

Needless to say I'm at a total loss when it comes to makeup... don't know how to apply most of it... don't know how to select the right foundation for my skin tone.. basically at the same level that a genetic female would be at, prior to reaching the age of wearing the stuff.

For obvious reasons will have to learn how to do the stuff and for it to be convincing and not in a drag queen sort of way :unsure:

Not that there's anything wrong with drag queens, been to a few drag shows and they are fairly entertaining.. but you know what I mean.

Want it to look like well the average girl's makeup.

Honestly makeup in a lot of ways seems more daunting to me than telling my dad about Tiffany (he along with my near 16 year old sister are the the only two immediate family members left to tell) and it also in a lot of ways seems more daunting than work issues... there's just so much to it and so many types to choose from.

Please ease my mind and tell me it's something fairly easy to get good at and master, actually don't be honest... still hope to hear that though!

Guest Blindheart

haha, i would get help from your sister. she would be the best teacher since she is about at that learning age too. Other than that would be to go to a makeup store and have the sales lady load you up. still even if you have all the "right stuff", it's still a challenge to learn to use it without a good teacher. Makeup is art, and it takes time to learn properly like anything else.

Guest audrey michelle

i basically taught myself. i mean, i had help/tips from a few friends and watching youtube tutorials helped too [such as typing: "how to put on eyeliner for beginners" or something like that] but, to me, it was pretty obvious where whatever was suppose to go. i mean, i doubt anyone gets it perfect the first time or even the second time but with practice youll get it. just practice and experiment around to see what looks good on you and itll gradually become easier and quicker to apply your makeup

im not a make up pro but i get compliments on my make up here and there so if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask :]

i basically taught myself. i mean, i had help/tips from a few friends and watching youtube tutorials helped too [such as typing: "how to put on eyeliner for beginners" or something like that] but, to me, it was pretty obvious where whatever was suppose to go. i mean, i doubt anyone gets it perfect the first time or even the second time but with practice youll get it. just practice and experiment around to see what looks good on you and itll gradually become easier and quicker to apply your makeup

im not a make up pro but i get compliments on my make up here and there so if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask :]

Well, one basic fact is that it is easier to add more than subtract after application. Less is often more, particularly with the eyes. I just read recently that one should start with the eye liner because if you mess it up and have to remove it, you're not having to redo the whole project! Also, it helps blend and keep the liner from looking harsh. Its amazing how many girls mess it up. I always look at womens eye makeup when talking to them. Some are terribly unsubtle with the liner!

I have achieved interesting clown-like effects by using too much blush or too redblush.gif. And, if it needs to be wiped away you risk messing up the foundation. Again, easier to add than subtract...

Lips...much easier to fix. Just don't try to look collegen plumped by going way outside the natural lipline...We wouldn't want to end up looking like Auntie Mame on a bad day!

So, I agree, play with it and sooner or later you'll get a score.gif

Oh!, and the little felt applicators in the eye shadow don't allow the subtlety of short haired brushes. The brush for blush is also often inadequate. High priced brushes arent necessary but I'd get a set with a couple short bristle for eyes and a couple bigger ones for blush etc.

Have fun!

Michelle

Guest Elizabeth K

Its pretty simple if you think on it like this.

You are a 12 year old girl and you will not know how to understate makeup. But you will try and try... and look like a clown (or worse).

Probably none of your relatives or friends will help - you might prove this wrong, but usually people feel too awkward.

So you try on your own, without much luck - you buy a lot of makeup not knowing what you are doing - you look at magazines and look at the women around you. You struggle.

BUT it doesn't seem to be working very well... what do you do?

????????

You have a credit card and a 12 year old girl doesn't.

Get your courage up... and go get a makeover! MAC will gladly work with trans people. Others will also. Explain what you are and what you need. They won't bat an eye... Expect to not only learn how to apply make-up, but to spend about $100 to $200 for product. BUT it will get you set up with good stuff, and stuff you will now know how to use.

Ask for a 'daytime' application, which is a 'going shopping' make-up. 90% of your future life make-up will be this method.

The usually 'glam' make-up is for special occasions,and is what most of us early transitioning people think is typical, when it is not.

So learn how makeup is applied, how it is stored, and how it is kept at hand...how to remove it as well... Practice at home. If you run into problems go back - the same Rep is usually there. He or she wants you to be a regular. They will love working with you and will really get it perfected, especially with color tones appropriate for your complexion.

That's how it is best done, my opinion.

I hope this helps

Lizzy

Guest tiffany_marie

Thanks for all the advice girls.

Elizabeth:

My older sister at least says she would have no problem teaching me how to do it, my only co worker that knows.. and that I care to have know at this point a lady who's been like a second mother to me, since my own mother passed away from cancer said she would help as well.

Of course saying.. and actually doing are two different things, maybe it would be too awkward for them.

I love the Mac idea, although would definitely have to work the courage up to do something like that. Can see how it would be perhaps my best bet of all though.

Thanks again everyone.

You have a credit card and a 12 year old girl doesn't.

Get your courage up... and go get a makeover! MAC will gladly work with trans people...

Lizzy

Lizzy,who is this MAC you speak of and where do we find him??? Okay, I'm sure it's not a him, but seriously, I just thought MAC was a brand, didn't know they had people somewhere to teach/makerover. Where should we look?

dk

Guest tiffany_marie

I'm under the impression, per a genetic female friend of mine that Mac counters are usually in bigger cities.

Don't know if her information is accurate or not though. I know that there isn't one at the local mall here, though honestly would feel more comfortable doing it somewhere else at this point anyway.

Still hoping my sister and my friend at work (who was also a hairdresser for many years.. yeah!) aren't just all talk and wouldn't feel too awkward about showing me the ropes.

I'll find out soon enough, emailed my sister and mentioned that I have the next eight days off from work and that this week would be a good time for me to at least start to learn the basics.... we shall see!

As an aside... I did also mention in the email if it's too much too soon and if she's not ready, whether it be awkwardness or something else to please be honest and just tell me and that I wouldn't mind.

Guest tiffany_marie

My sister is coming over after 5 on either Wednesday or Thursday to go over things with me!

Yay! I told her that things might be awkward at first, but we have both agreed to get beyond that.

She just mostly wants me to be happy, which means a lot to me. I don't expect to become a makeup whiz over night, but every little step and every little lesson will go a long ways.. toward at least getting me to where I'm 'good enough'

She also mentioned to me that once I feel comfortable enough to get to that point, that her best friend Bea is awesome at both hair and makeup and would gladly help as well.

Guest Elizabeth K

WOW

That's grand! I especially like that she called in her friend. THAT will give you an unbiased makeover and application session. And you can have her work on your hair also!

Lizzy

Guest tiffany_marie

Yeah it's pretty awesome Liz, I'm quite excited. (a little nervous as well.. simply because she's only known me as male in all ways... but hey again we both agreed to get beyond any initial awkwardness)

She's also supposed to let me know about a foundation she uses, that is supposedly for all skin tones, because I told her that foundation confuses me more than the rest of it.

Guest TracieV3

Needless to say I'm at a total loss when it comes to makeup... don't know how to apply most of it... don't know how to select the right foundation for my skin tone.. basically at the same level that a genetic female would be at, prior to reaching the age of wearing the stuff.

For obvious reasons will have to learn how to do the stuff and for it to be convincing and not in a drag queen sort of way :unsure:

Not that there's anything wrong with drag queens, been to a few drag shows and they are fairly entertaining.. but you know what I mean.

Want it to look like well the average girl's makeup.

Honestly makeup in a lot of ways seems more daunting to me than telling my dad about Tiffany (he along with my near 16 year old sister are the the only two immediate family members left to tell) and it also in a lot of ways seems more daunting than work issues... there's just so much to it and so many types to choose from.

Please ease my mind and tell me it's something fairly easy to get good at and master, actually don't be honest... still hope to hear that though!

Here, try this thread first: http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22407

A couple of the video links are broke, but the make-up and braiding ones work. And they are very informative.

Tracie

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Your girl friends, female relatives/siblings and close female friends that perhaps you work with or have a professional relationship with (who know about you) are probably your best bet as far as learning how to do makeup. As mentioned earlier, YouTube is also a tremendous asset.

Say you don't know how to apply mascara. Search on the YouTube site "How to apply mascara" and bam..bunches of videos come up. Now the cool thing about that is, if you come across a video that did a really good job explaining how to apply mascara, click on their user name and you can see what other videos they have uploaded. Perhaps this same person made a video on how to apply eyeshadow. Or lipstick. or blush. or how to choose the best foundation for your skin tone. or how to choose the best shade of blush for your skin tone.

You see where I'm going. There are A LOT of makeup tutorials on YouTube. There are a lot of makeup tutorials on the Internet. Learn from the people you know and supplement that with online videos. Also don't pay for any tutorial videos, as there are plenty of quality free videos.

Of course once you see it done, you'll want to try it yourself. Take your time, be patient, have some qtips and makeup remover on hand for when you make mistakes. Learn by doing. Don't let bad mistakes stop you from learning. Sure it doesn't tickle when you accidentally poke your eye with the mascara wand but you do learn to be more careful and maybe get a little closer to the mirror or learn to hold the wand a little differently.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kourtney

I myself had the same question Tiffany, thank you!

Make-up seems like a lot of fun for sure. Stressful, however. I do love the idea of going to M.A.C. or something like it to get make-up done. I could go to Macy's and do it but withso many people able to just walk past, I'd feel tremendously uncomfortable.

I think it's all about the brushes! We should get a good set Tiffany, lol

Guest Emily Ray

I would start out with a powder foundation from MAC, Sephora, or Bar Minerals. Powders are way easier to apply than liquid or creams. Buy good brushes and they will last a lifetime with proper care and they make application a whole lot easier. Youtube is where I learned a lot about eye makeup. Practice is the only way to get comfortable at it. Even if you don't go out en femme you should practise putting it on when ever you do get dressed.

A few weeks and you will have a basic day look down pat. After that you will get faster at applying it.

Huggs

Emily