Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amanda Whyte

Deciding to go to support group meeting.

7 posts in this topic

For those who have kept up, my wife and I are on delicate footing about the whole trans issue. I am trying to do things for her to assure her I am doing everything I can to "make sure" I am transgendered. For instance, I am going to see a new therapist (who is also a GT) on tuesday to get a second opinion. However, the local support group meeting is this weekend and I am dying to go. I have pretty much decided to tell her I am going but just thought I would get any input from my friends here. I know it is my decision to make though. I wasnt planning on going but the closer it gets the more it stays on my mind. The issue is her thinking I am not giving the whole "second opinion" thing a try if I go to the support group. I do want to admit she hasnt said this, I am just thinking she will or something similar.

Hugz,

Mandy

Hey Mandy,

Don't know your whole situation,but I went to my first support meeting in my area last night. There were 16 guys there all in various stages of transition. One was unsure what he wanted and just wanted to get some info and to see if he fit in. I'm not sure what he decided, but he did seem to get along well with others. So support group may just be another field trip to see what you might be in for or not.

I know for me - I so needed it and I'm super glad I went. I'm going to post about it shortly, but this question was so timely!

Good luck and I hope you and your wife resolve your issues.

Take care,

Kael

I would say go to at least one. What can it hurt really? Do what is best for you hun.

Stephanie

Thank you Kael. I went to the one last month and it was interesting but I wasnt completely comfortable. I think the comfort thing is just me having to get used to it. I have struck up a chat/text friendship with one lady from the support group so am hoping I will feel a little more comfortable this time.

Mandy

Go to one, Amanda. It helped me a lot.

You can still go to the T meeting AND go get a "second opinion." Perhaps convey it in a way that you are exhausting ALL means available to you, which includes a "second opinion" AND going to a support meeting? Just a thought.

Gennee and Bette, thank you for your responses. I had decided to go however now we may be going to a Picasso exhibit at a local museum for my daughter. She is turning 16 soon. Depending on timing I may not be able to go though.

Thanx everyone for the kind responses.

Mandy