• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Really want Help.

Guest Nikkichick33

Guest Nikkichick33

Im wanting to get serious about my voice training. I have downloaded all the free videos from the FYFV. I have the overtone analyzer. But, I am NOT computer savvy. sooo yeah, I mean How do you "Train" your voice. I just sound Like a Gay Male. (im not homophobic BTW) Im also Not male, But yeah, when I need to go to the store, I like to go through the self checkout. I pass very well Until I have to open my mouth. Really Sucks.I would Love any help/suggestions.
Nikki..

Guest JazzySmurf

Hi Nikki, When I started working seriously on my voice, I began with the classical technique of speaking in falsetto. Of course, it is not the end voice, but the main benefit is to strengthen the correct muscles in the throat, and, in time, to control it with more precision. So, a place to begin is to, say, read a few pages of something in falsetto every day.

When working with my voice, I focused on the more physical side. Another effective technique for me was to be able to control the position of my voice box, or adam's apple. You can simulate this by, say, swallowing some water... the voice box moves up. This elevated position of the voice box softens the voice when you speak, it really helps to train your muscles to be able to elevate one's voice box easily... and hold it there while you speak.

There's lots of other techniques out there. My main suggestion would be to just practice, be patient, and take care of your voice box :-) Good luck :-)

Guest miss kindheart

I found this helps

Sing it Baby :Crylol:

Doe a deer, a female dear

Ray, a drop of golden sun

Me, a name I call myself

Far, a long, long way to run

Sew, a needle pulling thread

La, a note to follow sew

Tea, a drink with jam and bread

That will bring us back to doe- oh- oh- oh!

And remember that what you say is just as important as how you say it ^_^

Talk the talk and walk the walk

:wub: vanna

Guest Nikkichick33

Thank you both for taking the time to post. I should have stated that i have Zero musical back ground or anything. Oh my goodness is falsetto? I need help in dumb blonde terms!! Lol!

Guest Sarah Faith

Nikki, falsetto is also commonly known as "The Micky Mouse voice" its where you take your voice as high as you can get it to where is almost squeaky. It's the voice you hear alot of guys go when trying to mock the female voice. It isn't suppose to be the end result like Sam said its to strengthen the muscle. If you can find your adams apple when you do falsetto it should be as far up as it can go and there should be very little vibration directly above and below. The goal of doing this is to get the muscles used to holding your vocal cords in a higher position. You want to practice regularly but in short bursts you don't want to strain your voice or you can cause permanent damage to your vocal cords.

Your actual female voice would position your adam's apple slightly lower then that. When you use your male voice and you feel above and below you'll notice there is alot of vibration on both, when you find your female voice there should only be vibration under the adams apple, and minimal or no vibration above it. The biggest difference between a female and male voice is typically resonance, the male voice resonates a great deal more from the lungs, where the female voice should mainly be produced in the throat.

The best way to learn your female voice is to practice, the falsetto (mickey mouse voice) is actually a very good place to start out from as it will strengthen the muscles that control your voice and allow you to develop a greater range. BUt as I said don't over strain your voice and damage it! There are a lot of great youtube guides that you can check out too, I've been working on my voice for a long time and Ive checked out as many resources as I could to try to improve my technique. I can do a talking voice just fine, and I can even sing in contralto though some of the higher notes are still a pain for me to hit lol.

Guest JazzySmurf

Hi Nikki,

To add on to what Sarah said, a popular sequence of instructional videos are the ones made by CandiFla on youtube, they are roughly:

(1st) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbaj4tIX1kw&list=UUIUQw0IUKOQYavxmUThdVFQ&index=47

(2nd) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaxxEyZBgR4&list=UUIUQw0IUKOQYavxmUThdVFQ&index=46

(3rd) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7qSJ19f_QU

and more if you explore her list of uploaded videos. Good luck :-)

Sam

Guest Sarah Faith

Those, were actually the exact guides on youtube I was referring to! :D

Those are really good I had already developed my voice by the time I saw them but her videos helped me improve it.

So definitely worth a watch for anything who needs some guidance.

Guest Nikkichick33

Thank you Both for the very helpful post. I have begun practicing Falsetto a few minutes a day.It does sound silly Lol! I know I may be Looking to far ahead, But what comes after Falsetto? how do you know when your ready to move forward?

Nikki.

Guest Sarah Faith

Once you can bring your voice down from falsetto and settle into a more feminine voice you'll know. It just takes some time to strengthen the muscles that bring your voice into that range. :)

Just keep practicing and I think you'll just know when you're ready to go from there just don't overstrain your voice!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sarah Faith

Nikki, that's pretty normal your using your vocal cords in ways that they simply aren't used to being used. Just be patient with your self, and don't push too hard it can take while to get there.

Guest sophia.gentry58

Thank you, thank you, thank you SamWithE and Sarah Faith; I cannot tell you how invaluable your instructions are on training my voice. I very much look forward to starting as soon as I get off work today. (((Hugs)))

Sophia

Guest Claire-G

Well I have pretty much given up on my voice. This falsetto junk is only giving me a scratchy throat.It is Not working.

Nikku I think the girl in the video has practiced for a year.

Guest sophia.gentry58

Hey SamWithE, I just viewed the two clips you provided. I was so surprsied to hear such a masculine sounding voice on such a pretty face. I don't think my male voice is nearly as deep as Candi's, unless I have a cold or something that causes my voice to deepen, therefore I feel really encouraged that I will be able to obtain my feminine voice. As I was writing this, Claire-G wrote that she thought the girl in the video had practiced for a year. I have been told from time to time that my natural sounding male voice is low and soft (hence the term soft spoken). I actually had to learn to project my voice in order to be heard. That being said, my question to someone; what is the average time-span that one with a soft spoken male voice can expect to achieve being able to speak with a female voice? I know that everyone is unique due to male voice ranges and the time dedicated to speaking with a female voice, but realistically speaking what do you think?

Sophia

Guest Sarah Faith

Sophia, I wish I had an answer for you, for me I never needed to use the falsetto technique due to the fact that I already did alot of funny voices just for fun. But I couldn't really project it, nor could I really maintain it for long. I just started practicing when I was on the treadmill (every day for over an hour so I had alot of time to practice lol) Id say over the last three years it gets better and better. But its always been useable, I used it with my guild over voice chat in World of Warcraft (An online PC game) as early as 2010.

I know that's really a non-answer but its just something you have to stick with, when you start getting comfortable using it for more then 2 minutes and you feel like your ready you can start using it in more public situations. For me, I just knew I was ready to try it because I really wanted to try it out on someone and my guild had no idea that I was physically male at the time. The best thing I can suggest is keep practicing, try different techniques out and find out what works best for you.

Guest chibi_usa

Im wanting to get serious about my voice training. I have downloaded all the free videos from the FYFV. I have the overtone analyzer. But, I am NOT computer savvy. sooo yeah, I mean How do you "Train" your voice. I just sound Like a Gay Male. (im not homophobic BTW) Im also Not male, But yeah, when I need to go to the store, I like to go through the self checkout. I pass very well Until I have to open my mouth. Really Sucks.I would Love any help/suggestions.

Nikki..

Did you read my guide?

http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4765

Guest JazzySmurf

Hi Sophia :-) I think the process of developing a feminine voice works similarly to learning a new language... one observes basic techniques (c.f., vocabulary) and basic speech/inflection patterns (c.f., grammar), and one ought not to practice too much at the onset (c.f., cramming), but the ultimate timetable depends of the level of practice/immersion.

As for me, I practiced a bit each day for a few months with some minor, and unsatisfactory, results. Then, I attempted lecturing to a class of 40 students in a feminine voice, and I also started dating a guy... and my voice got really, really good in a hurry.

Hi Nikki :-) Hang in there!! Developing the voice can, well, be like learning a new language, and can take a while (lots of people say that the initial results are frustrating, but eventually made it work). You can definitely do it :-)

Guest JazzySmurf

ps: I probably would not recommend anything similar to lecturing to students, but I think that having a speaking partner (just as in learning a language) to practice one's voice can be extremely beneficial... best of luck!! :-)