• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest fantomphlame

Feminine Eye Brow Shape?

Guest fantomphlame

I'm looking for more ways to turn the dial closer to androgynous while still remaining closetted. Since my face is what I usually look at in a mirror, it's what usually makes me upset, so it's my prime target. Lately, I've been interested in shaping my eye brows. The thing is, I have absolutely no idea what the male/female differences tend to be, so I don't know how to shape them. So what I'm interested in knowing, is what are the differences, and how does an mtf go about flipping them?

Carolyn Marie

Veira, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that thickness and neatness are more important than shape. If you looked at a bunch of women, you would see all kinds of shapes; long and straight, short and straight, arched, tapered, not tapered. But you'll rarely see a thick one (on most Western women, anyway). There is almost always a significant gap between the left and right, too. Unibrows are a male thing.

I've tried string, and I've tried waxing, and I like the result from waxing much more. String hurts, and it doesn't look as nice. I love the way mine look right after a waxing. But a lot of women like to pluck theirs. it is certainly less expensive, but I don't like the pain and tedium of doing it myself. I'm sure there will be other opinions, though.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

tracy_j

My brows were originally very bushy so I had to reduce as they were irritating without even thinking about the female angle.

If you check online you will find info on various sites / usual video's etc. It is probably a good idea to do lots of research first as your face / eye shape and current brows will dictate your ideal final result. It is recommended that the first shaping is done by an expert but I suspect that is not an option. You can find info online about using a pencil or other long straight object to gauge positions from the base of your nose to end points and point where angle changes using your eye dimensions etc.

I should say be careful - there was a point when my brows were virtually no existant, and even now I tend to use an eyebrow pencil plus brushed in eyshadow to fully identify them daily

Good luck

Tracy x

Charlize

There are a million looks but bushy is rarely one of them. I pluck my eyebrows. It has gotten much quicker with practice. I started before i went full time and slowly thinned my brows. It took some time before i found a shape i find pretty. Now it is just a bit of maintenance. It is very important to me but i doubt many others notice. My lashes are blond so i use a brown pencil to bring out the shape i want. Looking at magazines, the internet and other women helps. I find myself with my eyes lingering in a woman's and taking in all the little tricks if she uses them. Most of the makeup i use is around my eyes and for many women that is the same. Take your time and you'll get a look you love.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest April.

Yeah, you need to go with a brow shape that suits your face shape, some shapes wont be possible and some just wont suit certain face shapes.

Guest DianeATL

I am lucky that the nail salon I go to is in a gay area and has as many male clients as women. They also do brow waxing so I got the girl to do that for me a couple of times and try to pluck between waxings to keep them up. Bottom line is that she was much better at defining the look than I could have been on my own and she not only waxes but also trims down the bushiness of the brow that is left. (as does my hairdresser)

So my vote at least for one time to get started would be to get someone who does it regularly to wax them. Don't worry about being too fem, many men get theirs done too.

Hugs

Diane

Guest Velanna

All the suggestions from everyone above are great! And here's one from me: DON'T TRY TO SHAVE THEM! Trust me, I tried doing that several times, and although I've gotten really good at shaping them using a razor, not only did it take a long while for me to get to that skill, but it's also very risky! It takes just one sudden movement with your hand to mess up completely! It happened to me about 2 weeks ago and I've been forced to let them grow out again. And it ain't pretty, I can tell you that much! So not I have to let them grow out, bushiness and all, and then either try again, or more likely, go to professional ans have them do it for me. Sure, it's a little expensive, but it's a lot better than accidentally ruining them like I have done many times in my life. -.-'

Best wishes!

~Vel

My Stylist shared with me a good rule of brows. The inside of the brows should be a width equal to the width of the nose. As for me, my brows are blonde. I trim them very short and they look just fine with little extra work. If I want to do a special "Night Eyes" look I can then pencil in any changes. I may also try getting them professionally done when I have a better income. This is my Works For Me, your mileage may vary. Giggle. Hug. JodyAnn

Guest April.

Shop around, I dont know about the rest of the world, but in Aus for a wax, trim and shape is like $12-$20 yeah you can pay more, I pay $15 at a very good salon. you only really need to shape the first time if you keep up the waxing every 3 or so weeks and tweeze the strays (mostly the centre) in between. Everyone should get a lash & brow tint too it is really good!

Guest fantomphlame

I never did like the unibrow that's been forming, so it is going to be the first change I make.

This is really a great amount of advice to go on. I'll be doing everything at home myself, using only supplies I can smuggle, but I already know several specific things I can do from all of your input. :) I'm going to have to exert notable effort to keep things moderate and take it slow.

Guest rita63

I'm surprised Charlie didn't think of he was a woman to be reckoned with. Kali, the artist who was very talented processed a prominent bushy unibrow. Certainly as a woman as well as an artist she would be very good company to be found in.

Hugs rita

Guest sydney

I use European Wax Center and at the two locations by me (Paramus, NJ and Rutherford, NJ) I've told them I was trans and wanted a feminine shape. No issues whatsoever and they are completely friendly about it. I use the same girl for my eyebrows (and nose hair, important when your 6'7") and she likes to talk about the changes I'm going through and other issues as well.

Guest Stacie Cheyenne

This Fall's In the Category with the Makeup & Right now I am Just doing fake Push on nail's & Fake Eyelashes, Till I am Ready To Tell the World My Story, Right Ait is A small Very Small Circle of Friend's, My Therapist & My Wife & all of You 2 & on Laura's Playground:

Katy S

Some good advice here. I think I'm going to pluck mine to neaten them up

My suggestion is to go to the mall or something and view people. People watching is great fun and you can learn a lot about males and females by simply paying attention.

As for the brows, I would head to a threading or was shop and ask them for their templates. Most have a guide to female brow shapes, pick the one you like and do it. :) 

Katy S

I can't go for fully feminine eyebrows just yet unfortunately.

Then get them somewhat shaped. They can do anything you want. Google eyebrow shapes or something. Print what you like, take it with you and discuss it with the brow person. I've not been able to do a full female brow either, but I will be this year, one way or another......

JamieTS

The easiest way is to take an eyebrow pencil and  go from the edge of the nostril straight up and mark it with a dot from the pencil. Then take the pencil and go from the edged of the nostril to the pupil and make a mark. That should be the middle of the arch. Then take the pencil and go from the edge of the nostril to the outside crease of the eye and that is where your brow should end. Make those marks with a little dot above the brow and below the brow and fill it in with a darker brow pencil than you own brows. When you are happy with the shape and thickness then pluck outside the lines.

If it is about thickness there are two ways. One and the one I use is to take a brow comb and comb up and trim with brow scissors along the shape. Then comb mb down and cut along the shape. The middle part will be thicker. The other way is to use a trimmer with a number 3 guard all over.

Guest Kati

My eyebrows are not very thick to start with and have a rugged sort of look with uneven peaks and valleys, a bit like a mountain range.  I'm at a loss as to what to do.  When I look at various tutorials the end results are always splendid because they are starting with a desirable shape in the first place.  Does anyone know about a shaping tutorial that deals with a brow that is considerably south of stellar?  Does anyone have any advice on shaping my mountain range?  

VickySGV
5 minutes ago, Kati said:

Does anyone have any advice on shaping my mountain range?  

The "Brow Bar" I go to has darn near as many man men at it having this done to them.  The people doing it do not care who they work on, but for under $30.00 they can shape it to begin with.  Either waxing or threading are about the same as far as cost, efficacy, and physical pain go so try one and later try the other until you find which one you like the best.  You can also go the more expensive route and have electrolysis done on them, again, the electrologist does not care whether they are working on a male or female.

tracy_j

I would agree with Vicky in this Kati.  Having spent some time on my brows I still notice one is usually slightly higher than the other so initial professional advice would probably have been a good thing. My brows are naturally very course and bushy. I tend to keep them thinned and short shaved, then use a pencil or even brushed in eyeshadow of various colour tones to clarify.

Guest Kati

Thank you, Vicky and Tracy, for your advice.  I must confess that I was hoping for a homegrown, do-it-yourselfer solution, but apparently some issues are best left to the professionals.  This seems to be one of those intractable problems I can't solve on my own.  One of many!  It is a challenge to be a high maintenance person on a microscopic budget.  

Thanks again!  All the best to both of you.  

Jani

I finally had mine waxed into shape last week when I had my hair done.  It was $12 and worth it.

Jani

I've done threading and plucking, not wax yet. But I can remember my wife getting some bad burns from some places. Kinda scared me off.....

Arri

Hi I know a simple trick to finding your brow. Just using a straight pencil upright along your nose, that is where your brow should start. You can use a eyeliner to mark it. Everything between your pencil, nose & the other side of the nose/ pencil gets plucked out. 

Then keep the pencil at your nose & the other end across your pupil of your eye that it where your arch is mark the high spot with your liner. 

Last pencil still at nose go across to the outside corner of your eye that is where your brow should end. Mark it. And anything after that mark get rid of. 

Last just get the stray wild ones under your brow & eyelid. 

If you just do a little in those areas, full brows are now the new pretty instead of needle thin so that helps a lot. 

If you have really wild thick long brows you can brush them up your forehead & just lite trim the unruliness. 

Like I said earlier a little goes a long way & always one eye will look better. 

I hope this helps.