• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CiCi_73

Another hurdle breached

CiCi_73

Hi everyone,

Today I told my mom (father passed away 20 yrs ago) about my transgenderedness. I had not looked forward to the conversation as things between her and me haven't always been the best. But she took it pretty well. She didn't jump up for joy, or say something sweet and meaningful, but I wasn't expecting that. I know it has to be rough on parents, especially as she said "I've known you for 50 years as X." And I was my most empathetic and honest self, and I think she saw that, so that was good. But I know her as well as she knows me, and many of her responses were impersonal and global, such as "life is strange," etc etc. Which to me says she hasn't quite internalized what I told her yet, and I get that, too, it's a lot to take in. I just hope that over time, as she allows herself to confront the truth of me, that she's as accepting in reality as she appeared to be today.

Of course, this was also accompanied by the news that my wife and I are divorcing, and again she said she understood and put on a brave face, but I have the feeling that underneath that she was disappointed. I'm the only one of her children that is getting divorced, and she's always prided herself on the idea that all her children have happy, loving marital relationships. The only good thing to come out of that part of the discussion is that she reassured my wife that she is still part of the family (my wife was really worried about losing those relationships, and I told her I would do anything possible to make sure that didn't happen). My mom will certainly have a lot to process over the coming months.

I guess for me I contrast her reaction to that of my best friend, who (when I came out to him a week or so ago) seemed genuinely happy. A person can't hide their initial response to something like this, and while my mom seemed guarded but said all the right things my friend reacted with a truly honest happiness for me. We go way back, we went through the same drug treatment program together (almost 30 years ago? Gee, where does the time go?) and lived and worked together for years. It was a very positive experience to have someone you've known for so long react with such positivity.

So, anyway, that's one down, two more (my brothers) to go. Not sure what to expect with them, but how can anyone ever know? It must be done, however. I'm tired of hiding. It's no way to live.

On the upside (sorry this is getting long) I went to my first TG friendly event last night, and I met some really great ladies and had some good conversations. One stuck with me, though. She said that nothing made you feel more feminine than when a man has his attentions on you, taking you out, holding doors for you, walking down the street with his arm around you, and of course the other thing. I guess why that stuck with me so much is that I already feel pretty darn feminine. And it comes from within me. And I don't need proof from something outside of me (such as a man's attention) to validate it. I just am. I've always had a more internal locus of identity anyway (sorry for the psycho-babble), never really putting much emphasis on things outside of myself (job, possessions, etc) to affirm my identity. Same goes for my gender identity. It just is. Thoughts?

Thanks for listening.

Hugs,

Courtney

Great day! Let me digest this, I'll comment more later. You wrote just the perfect amount, all that is in your heart! Hug. JodyAnn

Guest LesleyAnne

Never too long, trust me. It takes an inordinate amount of scrolling space to convey what you just did, and quite normal in my opinion. :thumbsup:

I was sorry to hear about your impending divorce though, so I hope you get through your upcoming challenges unscathed.

My thoughts are just to wish you the best. Everyone's journey is different, and like I've been told here, there is no right or wrong way to continue your own path. :wub:

Sara2015

I hope your mom will come around to a more robust support, as you mentioned she has a lot to absorb. Give her time. It doesn't sound like she had a really adverse reaction. It's great that you have a close and supportive friend.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 74 Guests (See full list)

• Lucca
    • Mahaney
    • Michelle F
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Someidiot12
    Newest Member
    Someidiot12

1. SamanthaC
      SamanthaC
      (57 years old)
    • NB Adult
      We dutifully do as we are expected. Long after military service when in the civilian workforce someone showed me a nude trans woman standing against a doorjamb totally perfect in every respect except for the (ugh) male package and I went WHAT...REALLY? It opened a new door of reality for me!
    • NB Adult
      Well you got that out of the way and can put a check by her box. You are not responsible for anyone else's feelings or their happiness, they have a choice of either making themselves happy or unhappy based on what's going on inside of their heads. It's their problem to work through and not yours. You and I cannot make anyone else happy outside of our own selves. Keep that in mind!
    • ShawnaLeigh
      I love this. It fits for all of us.  Well said young man.  
    • ShawnaLeigh
      I tend to agree with you NB.  I have little memory of anything no less feelings from my childhood. I recall when my first feeling I was different around my teen years.  Reinforced by a few trips to the doctors to “fix me”.  I remember the.  “Your a boy. You should be doing boy things” talks too.  I don’t remember not doing boy things to be honest.  Or doing girl things.  I was a kid.  I got tired of the doctor visits by my late teens so I decided to just hide it and be the male everyone wanted from me.  Not the wisest choice I know.  
    • NB Adult
      Ethan what a wonderful series of things to focus on rather than negative stuff! Love you're name mister!
    • ShawnaLeigh
      Agreed. Easier said then done.  Do sorry this is happening yo you.  You deserve better then that BS.   Good luck and keep us posted. 
    • ShawnaLeigh
      I finally broke down and asked my mother if she got my email.  She has been sick and in bed for a few days and said no not yet.  Asked me to resend it. So I did.  She replied not long after.     It started out so good with love and “full” support for me.   Then my mother’s attitude seem to change about two sentences later.   It was full of “advice” which was more like conditions and opinions on what I “need” to do.  first she said I need to slow down and really think about how this is going to effect everybody and to not be do hasty.  Then a list of people I definitely should not tell and she promises not to tell a soul.  Then a timeline of who “I can tell” and finally a good ole reaming of why do I want to lose my home family and wife just so I can dress like a girl.   (cue nuclear explosions ) I was not happy and let her have it.   Then she starts in on my sister who was trying to save face and help but it did not go well for her either.   Now I can understand a shocked reaction especially for a parent but she was more focused on just how we can manage the damage and keep it all hidden.   OMG I was so angry.  So hurt.   She acts like “What?  I am just trying to help HIM”.  (Cue super nova) yea it was an interesting afternoon and evening.   But on the positive side.  She now knows.      
    • Sally Stone
      Thanks ladies for all the kind words.  I already feel right at home.   Hugs,   Sally
    • Sally Stone
      Carolyn,   I have tried wig shampoos, and generally, they have worked okay for me.  I use Woolite mostly to ensure I'm treating my wigs very gently, and you are correct, Woolite is cheaper.   I do not store my wigs on Styrofoam heads for two reasons.  First, I don't want to stretch the wig cap, they get enough stretching when I wear them, and second, storing them in boxes keeps them from getting dusty and they don't take up nearly as much space.   Hugs,   Sally
    • VickySGV
      This ic currently a News Item, but it is toward  Trans youngsters and families, and yes, communities.   https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/11/11/20955059/luna-younger-transgender-child-custody?fbclid=IwAR3CUXwI56p3CYJSvFJd9KjwrFf-ueVaUXtzzXYsBqTemz2kCXPIzoYUJGM
    • Ethan Mcknight
      Hey! Here’s something for all the FtM trans kiddos out there (even if you’re an adult)! 1. You are valid as HECK! 2. People care for you! 3. Things may seem hard now, but they will get better! 4. You are LOVED! 5. You are very handsome! 6. Stay strong! 7. Nobody wants you gone 8. You don’t have to go it alone 9. You are kind 10. YOU CAN DO IT!!!   Now here’s a cookie 🍪
    • ShawnaLeigh
      I’m thinking this too.  Be a long while but it’s on my radar.  
    • KymmieL
      Jose Beth that is terrible news. Sounds like something Wally world would do. Keep your chin up something will come along that is perfect for you, and you will love.   Kymmie
    • NB Adult
      Sorry about your stressful event, you probably need to put that agency in your rear view mirror!
    • Michelle F
      That would be nice.   Thanks for your input.
  • Upcoming Events