• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Who do you look like?

Jani

• Forum Moderator

Who do you look like? With all the angst we have with passing, self image and general well being, I was struck the other day when after getting all made up for a support group meeting (my first time) I realized the woman in the mirror reminded me of my mother and specifically, my younger sister. This was comforting to me and I told my wife so. I’m 61 and don’t have too many hopes for facial change when I start HRT so it was nice to see a familiar face.

Like so many others I struggle with self image while presenting as my real self. It’s been said that we are our own worst critics and that we (girls) only see the masculine features, particularly in our faces. This has definitely been true for me.
So, who do you see in the mirror! Do you take comfort in who you see? This is for the guys as well, not just the girls. In the interest of privacy no pictures need to be posted, just your thoughts.
Peace and Love,
Jani

Hi Jani,

I resemble my remaining half sister, since we both resemble our mother. I am way taller though, by half a foot in fact. I also kinda look a bit like Meryl Streep, and also perhaps like Loreena McKennit, or at least Alex thinks so.

hugs,

Stephanie

Some lady told me I look like Macauley Culkin.

A younger one, I hope.

I haven't tried to put myself up against a picture of my father at a similar age. I don't have any other close male biological relatives except my four year old son--no uncles or brothers except by marriage or adoption. And my son mostly looks like his sister. I think they favor their dad's side of the family more than mine.

• Forum Moderator

I look a lot like my mother or am so told. I'm fortunate in that she was a lovely woman and a bit of that (well aged) comes through in my features.

Hugs,

Charlize

Well, I looked like myself prior to ffs, and I have to admit that I kinda still look like myself :mellow: . Of course my mirror and I seldom reflect too much on the the subject...and I am getting older...so I may have forgotten what I looked like before or since :).

But...seriously, I don't look like anybody save myself.....[Although now that I think about it, I have been told by strangers that they saw me in places I've never been... :unsure:...which I find quite perplexing.]

Some lady told me I look like Macauley Culkin.

NO WAY! YOU'RE A HANDSOME DUDE!!!

Not like that brat. You're smooth too, with the ease and grace of a powerful gentleman. Not the John Wayne type, so no noses will be punched. Giggle.

Why yes! I do have a completely biased opinion, he's a coffee pal of mine. Oh and did I mention he's a great father too. Hug. JodyAnn

I'm very proud I resemble my Grandmother on my Mother's side of the family. I cook like her too. Yummy. Now if I can garden and sew like her, I will be thrilled.

There is a local school teacher I am mistaken for. God bless the career she chose, I'm honored to be mistitled.

When I peer into the looking glass, I see a ditzy, glitzy blonde. With a crooked little smile, popping blue eyes and good fun mischief behind that almost pretty face. If I feel self conscious and blush, looking down I observe my nice female breasts. I feel comforted and heartwarmed, all is as it should be. Well? Maybe a cleavage tatoo to read: "Objects in my blouse are larger than they appear. Giggle. Oh, that and the right girl has a gorgeous beauty mark just above the milk spout.

I will never be a skinny mini, fashion magazine page man trap, that is probably well and good. I have everything a good sturdy woman needs. My goal, a lady with charm, grace, loving joy, compassion, style and most of all sparkle. A rather larger than life picture of elegance.

I'm almost there... Hug. JodyAnn

I have been told I resemble Chris Evert Lloyd. (Tennis player).

I have been told that twice actually.

I guess I see some common features.

Heck, Im just glad that people compare me to a Woman!

Haha.

• Forum Moderator

None of the males in my family, except my great grandfather on my mother's side, have lived to be my age but when I was younger I looked like a twin of my father I was told. I never saw him after I was 2 and he died at age 48 so I can't say for sure but assumed I still resembled him till I glanced in the mirror and saw my grandfather the other day. It surprised me. He died at 58 but I look like he did then. Partly because I inherited my white hair from him -on his side of the family hair turns snow white early and he had white hair even by 40. But it's more than that too. I have something of his jaw and his hairline and high cheekbones

Johnny

Tom Hanks, and if I was the FtM that people keep thinking, that would be great. Big sigh. I will get past the ugly duckling phase though, and then I can rethink this question.

Tom Hanks, and if I was the FtM that people keep thinking, that would be great. Big sigh. I will get past the ugly duckling phase though, and then I can rethink this question.

And you will be a beautiful swan! Hug. JodyAnn

I don't know who I look like. My tastes in styles and dress are close to my late mom's. You could say I'm stylishly conservative when it comes to attire.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

I've been taking photos of myself on the days I go to my therapist to document my progress. As I add them to my Apple laptop, the facial recognition software now asks if it is my mother. Earlier, it though it was my sister.

Guest Kai Reddtail

A few months ago I was looking in the mirror and noticed that I resembled my paternal Grandfather (and of course, by extension, my Dad.) It made me really really happy because we were super close before be passed away when I was five. Even though he's been gone for 20 years he's still a huge figure in my life and I think about him all the time.

• 1 month later...

I was at "Gay Pride" in Johannesburg in maybe 2008 [when I was still young barely in my 20's], when some girl suddenly went; Oh my God, oh my God wow, you look exactly like that guy from "Blades of Glory", Oh my God I have to take a photo. Please let me take a photo. It is funny you should watch it." [she meant Jon Heder in Blades of Glory].

It's probably not such a terribly bad thing Nina Arsenault claims to have looked like the "guy from "Back to the Future"; Crispin Glover", and she turned out quite remarkably.