• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hair Removal

CrystalMatthews0426

Has anybody had any experience with threading? I was reading an article that said that hair removal this way was much less painful then wax, and much cheaper then electrolysis, while giving a decent lasting effect. One article said that you could go 2-3 weeks in between threads, another said 4-6 weeks and that the hair will come back in finer, making future threads easier. I was thinking this could be a good start for at least cleaning off my face until I can start to afford to do something more permanent, but want some advice before I start to look deeply. I found a groupon for a full face thread for only $20 and it's very tempting.

Yes, and it hurts. I keep hearing "you get used to it", I've done it about a dozen times and I'm still waiting. LOL

However, Most have a terrible time finding someone that doesn't screw it up. :/

Generally between $8-15. Some of them let you join for so much time, for a certain amount, and get unlimited threading. 

Happy brows!!

• Admin

I have done both threading and waxing on my eyebrows, and it is a toss-up as to the length of time it will be effective. 

HUGE MEGA COLOSSAL WARNING -- Do not try EITHER on extensive parts of your beard hair if you have not been on HRT for many years.  The ads you see are for women's facial hair, NOT BEARDS.   Beard hair is more deeply rooted and much more prone to serious infection.  At one time a member here showed pictures of their face after they had disregarded our warning and we had to take the pictures down as being much too disturbing. <They literally looked like a fire victim>. Save even the small change that either waxing or threading on your face on your full face for the Laser or Electrolysis that will really work if you want truly long term facial hair removal.

• Forum Moderator

The issue with threading is the hair is being pulled out and the hair follicle is not killed.  Another hair grows in its place.  And yes, beard hair grows much deeper than brow hair.  

Jani 

On 1/12/2017 at 4:42 PM, Jani423 said:

The issue with threading is the hair is being pulled out and the hair follicle is not killed.  Another hair grows in its place.  And yes, beard hair grows much deeper than brow hair.  

Jani 

Yeah, just like waxing, all temporary.....

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I consider threading to only be another option instead of waxing or tweezing, nothing else. It's just to make your brows look great until the hairs start growing in again. I wouldn't have it done anywhere else on my face.

...and it hurts.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me (should I be bale to afford it and find time during a working day to have it done) how long  the effects of a treatment show (electrolysis or laser) - do you have redness (or anything else) for hours/days - would it go down in time to go home after a days work?

11 minutes ago, Amy P said:

Can anyone tell me (should I be bale to afford it and find time during a working day to have it done) how long  the effects of a treatment show (electrolysis or laser) - do you have redness (or anything else) for hours/days - would it go down in time to go home after a days work?

While I'm starting in a couple weeks, the people I've seen and talk to, absolutely. Red, swollen, sore. And it depends on the skin sensitivity and how long the appt.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker
4 hours ago, Amy P said:

Immediately following laser, your face is going to be very hot, and a good laser tech shouldn't allow you to leave until your face has cooled off with some ice packs. After a few sessions, I began bringing some aloe vera sunburn gel that I had kept in the refrigerator with me. That seemed to help, as well. There will be redness for a few hours, absolutely.

With electrolysis, your face will have red bumps wherever the tech was working on you, and that also takes a little bit of time to dissipate. 

As far as how long it will take for the redness to go away, I think it varies. I think the recovery time from laser, at least for me, took longer than electrolysis. 

Then there's also the pre-appointment prep, where it's recommended you cover the areas that will be worked on with a heavy layer of Emla cream about an hour before your appointment, and then reapply more when it's getting closer to your appointment time. I've heard some recommend wrapping plastic wrap around the area (and poke a hole for your mouth) because exposure to air weakens the effect of the Emla cream. Also taking something to dull the pain I hear helps. 

I think there are different types of laser treatments. I just last Thursday finished my 5th treatment of 24 full body this one was on my face it was not bad she uses a gel like for sonograms which keeps it cool and slick. It can be red for a while and you can get bumps but I have been lucky so far and not had this happen. It did look like my legs had a suntan for a few days it may not have been noticeable except the lower legs were not treated and were lighter in color. I am pleased so far but it only works on dark hair white or blond is not affected much or at all. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 140 Guests (See full list)

• Abigail Genevieve
    • awkward-yet-sweet
    • MaryEllen
    • Jamey-Heather
    • Ashley0616
    • Lorelei
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

earthpatch
    Newest Member
    earthpatch

1. Anyatimenow
      Anyatimenow
      (23 years old)
    2. Aria00
      Aria00
    3. Ava B.
      Ava B.
      (24 years old)
    4. Claire Heshi
      Claire Heshi
    5. CrystalMatthews0426
      CrystalMatthews0426
      (41 years old)
    • Willow
      Mom, I’m home!  What’s for lunch?   Leftover pizza .   ok.    Not exactly our conversation but there is truth in the answer.     @KymmieLsorry you are sick. Feel better soon.   Girl mode, boy mode no mode, not us. Nothing functional for either of us.   anyone here have or had a 10 year old (plus or minus) Caddy, Lincoln or Chrysler?  How was it?  Lots of repairs?  Comfortable seats? Anything positive or negative about it?  I need to replace my 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, it’s eating $100 dollar bills and needs a couple of thousand dollars worth of work and that doesn’t even fix the check engine code.  Obviously, it isn’t worth putting that kind of money into a 20 year old car with a 174 thousand miles.   Willow
    • Ashley0616
      Oversized pink shirt, pink and black sports bra
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I think you mean the worst possible interpretation of 2025 situation.  Keep in mind that there are those who will distort and downright lie about anything coming from conservatives - I have seen it time and time again.  It's one of the reasons I want to read the thing slowly and carefully.  They want you to be very, very afraid. 
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Here is where the expectation is that the stereotypical evangelical comes in finger wagging, disapproving and condemning.    Not gonna do that.   You have to work these things out.  Transgender issues put a whole different spin on everything and God understands what we are going through. I have enough trouble over here.  :)
    • Ivy
      You do you. You seem to be in a safe place if we end up with a 2025 situation.  But a lot of us are not.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Well, my marriage is different.  I'm actually part of a multi-partner marriage.  Like you see in the Book of Genesis.  My husband has four wives...and me.  I was kind of an accident, as our community sets the "reasonable maximum" at four wives, but that's a long story.  Plural marriage is approved in my faith community, with the exception of spiritual leaders, as described in 1 Timothy 3.  We believe that anything that isn't specifically prohibited is permitted.    The purpose of marriage is for people to work together, demonstrate the love of God, and to have children.  My faith believes in exponential reproduction - big families with lots of kids, both as a blessing and with the intention of using the size of our population for political ends.  Being intersex/trans and unable to bear children, I wouldn't have been a good candidate to be somebody's only spouse (the majority of our community tends toward traditional couple marriage).  Since my husband has other partners, I don't have to worry about the childbearing aspect, and I help out with raising our family's kids.  I'm a "bonus parent."    I'm not 100% open about my intersex/trans nature, although my community's leaders are aware of me.  Being transgender isn't condemned, but it is seen as a health problem derived from an imperfect, fallen world and an environment polluted with chemicals.  Since I'm married, I have a safe place to be, and I can live how I need to live.    I firmly believe the advice given in 1 Corinthians 7.  We don't totally own our bodies.  God gets a say, as I believe He created us to be male or female, not something outside the binary.  I don't think that transition without discussion with partners is OK....again, we don't totally own ourselves.  When I started to figure myself out, that was actually the main thing on my mind - will my partners accept me?  How will my position in the family change?  Since my partners don't really have a problem with the mild version of transition that I wanted to do, it has all been good. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Indeed.  While it seems like the majority of LGBTQ+ folks vote for Democrat candidates, not everybody drinks the Kool-Aid.  I'm a registered Independent, since I vote for individuals rather than party.  One of my trans friends is very pro-Trump - wears her MAGA hat and everything.  I find it interesting to see the reactions she gets... folks aren't always as tolerant as they claim to be.  Even on this forum, you get some real flak from Democrat voters....many will insist that the California way is the only way.    In my opinion, "Project 2025" isn't the real problem.  Check out UN "Agenda 2030."   
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      While Biden may be more friendly to trans folks, I'm not a single-issue voter.  I just can't choose a Democrat candidate, as I believe their actions will destroy my community and way of life.  Biden just announced that he wants to significantly increase capital gains taxes.  Maybe he intends to "tax the rich" but that is going to affect everything from land sales to grocery prices to the cost of electricity and even folks' retirement savings, as most companies make a large amount of their profits through investing in the market.  It is absolute lunacy to think that increased cost or reduced profits won't be passed on to the rest of us.  Things are going to get way worse at this rate.    Mostly, I vote in elections for state and local issues, as the national government is about as pleasant as a Porta-Potty in July.  So, either I'll do a write-in vote for president, or I'll check the box for Trump.  Anything but Biden.     
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Interesting...never knew any of this.  Of course, in my girl form I never got breasts, so I never had to worry about it.  A couple of pieces of tape would have been sufficient...      Sounds like fun   It has been interesting for me since I stopped trying to do sex like a girl.  The real surprise was my relationship with my husband, as he has figured me out pretty well. 
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Women's jeans, soft t-shirt that could go either way, flip-flops. 
    • Abigail Genevieve
      They were sitting on the love seat, looking west out over Kansas.  Below them the busy city ran to and fro.   "They called.  My surgery has been rescheduled for May 8.  I need to be there at 5 AM for pre-op.  I start prescriptions and diet change on May 1."   "Okay."  Bob did his not-thinking-about anything look.  Taylor was always amazed that he could  actually be thinking about absolutely nothing. She was always thinking of at least six things.   "How can they be like that?" "What?"  He startled a little.  Contact with reality was reestablished. "Where does the hate come from?  Mrs. McArthur?  She was always polite, but I think she wasn't really.  Somehow she hated me even though there were no indications whatsoever." "Yeah, well, you know they are starting up that plant.  And my company is going ahead with their work there, down n Milliville.   I will have to go down there sometimes." "Oh, Bob." "Maybe I will stop by and ask her." "No." "No.  Cabaret is closed, I have been told.  Your transgender support group has scattered to other places." "What is wrong with those people?" "Same thing as Roosevelt, I guess.  You know all the racial comments against Blacks?  Like that game where our cheerleaders started this insulting cheer, an the opposite team was mostly Black? Teachers stopped it." "I didn't know.  I was staying away from that, remember?" "Yes." "You know all those kids at our church, the ones you called freaks the other day?" "I shouldn't have called them that." "Pastor tells me they are all from all over the Midwest.  These are kids who have been thrown out of their homes and were found on the street.  Other shelters would not take them, so they wound up here." "Not surprising." "I think we could do some good here." "What do you have in mind?" And she told him.
    • EasyE
      You are spot on here ... but also it seems like such a rigged game for the average person that it's hard to invest energy into the political arena -- too much big money controlling too many people/organizations/narratives for the common person to fee; heard...   In general, why we in America accept either candidate is baffling... for all our innovation as a nation, we can't do better than these two bozos?    The problem is, the political arena is such a sham -- again with large money controlling all aspects of the system -- that a common-sense, love-your-neighbor, make-reasonable-compromises, roll-up-your-sleeves-and-get-to-work candidate will never make it anywhere above the local level (if even there)...    Everything is a reality show, and boring ol' decision makers that try to benefit the most people don't generate enough clicks, views and retweets...  I am not sure it is so much about celebrity as it is about party politics at all costs - "my side must always be viewed as right and your side must always be viewed as wrong!" kind of thinking... there is no consensus building anymore because that will get used against you in campaign ads... When Obama took office and then Hilary ran again, it was like all Republicans want to do was to find someone loud enough to put them in their place. Forget issues, forget character, just win a debate and rally the base.    To get back to your original point, not enough of us care about politics ... and in some ways we've become fat, happy and entitled as a nation. The yearning to achieve the "American dream", which drove my parents and their parents before them to work their tails off and sacrifice and save, is now just "give me the American dream for free while I sit here on my phone and watch tiktok..."
    • Abigail Genevieve
      You are in the right place.
    • EasyE
      I am about 5 weeks ahead of you ... best wishes to you! For me it has been subtle changes at most so far (if any) ... but I am also on the "beginner's" level of patch, lol ...    Easy
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Oh, another comment.   I am a conservative evangelical with strong Republican leanings. So is my wife, my friends, my family. I disagree with a good amount of what the Republicans are doing, but there it is.  I understand the mindset, I think, a lot better than those who are outside it do.   When you insult Republicans you insult me, my friends, my family.   People like me can struggle with trans issues.   Please consider that in posting.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.