• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Dain

Notifications not working?

Dain

Hi,

the last time anything popped on my notifications list was July 23 even though I'm following threads that have had activity after that.

Also the daily email with this info doesn't work anymore :(

I checked my settings and I still have all the notifications enabled and am following active threads.

Is there something wrong with the forum or  did I mess something up?

VickySGV

I am going to have to wait until one of our Tech admins comes on to see this, but there is a note on my screen about checking with your web browser if this site's settings look good.   @Dev   is the one who has hands in the platform work here, go ahead and send a direct PM which might get a better answer than I can give.

Dain

Thanks Vicky :)

Dev

Howdy @Dain!  (Did you get a notification when I mentioned you?)

Notification settings are stored in cookies, so the first step would be to clear your cache and cookies and then, when you visit the site again, tell it "yes" when it asks if it can send you notifications.  You might want to make sure your settings are the same as they are now after you do this.

If that doesn't do the trick, let me know (along with your operating system and browser) and I'll poke the developers.

Dain
5 hours ago, Dev said:

Howdy @Dain!  (Did you get a notification when I mentioned you?)

Hi @Dev, yes indeed I got a notification this time. Not that you both mention browsers and such I'm wondering if this started after I used the forum on my mobile... would that even make sense?

Anyway, I'll clean my cookies on both devices and see what happens.

Thanks for the support!

Dev

If this were a normal website, such a problem starting after your first time accessing it on mobile would be unheard of.  In our case, though, I'm perfectly ready to believe that's what happened.  We've had other one-off issues caused by mobile access in the past, so what's one more?  :P  

Please keep me posted - this is something I'll be able to follow the developer's diagnostic steps for if clearing things out doesn't work for you, as it presumably won't take forever for you to update after I flip some switches. :) 

Dain

Hmm, I'm afraid I didn't get a notification for your last message :(

I deleted the cache and cookies on both devices. Haven't even accessed the site with the mobile just to get that wild card out of the game for now.

Laptop: MacOS 10.14.5 on Firefox 68.0.1

I do use some privacy add-ons, but that hasn't changed in the mean time and it worked before just the same.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something or some info, I'm having a had time concentrating on details lately.

Dev

@Dain - There's one thing I want to check with you before I turn off all our admin plugins and get the developers involved.  When you access the notification settings menu (click your name in the top right, click "Account Settings," click "Notification Settings off to the right of the display screen), does it look like this?

dain.png

Specifically, does it say browser notifications are enabled in that section?

Dain

Oh... And of course it wasn't...

Okay, I hope this was it. And if it was, I'm deeply sorry for wasting your time like this!

Dev

This isn't a waste of time.  :)  Either it's an easy fix or it's a problem that needs the developers.  Either way, making it work is what I'm here for, so my time is being used as it should be.

VickySGV

Hey now I know the fix o that problem, there is hope for me yet!!

Dain

Hmm, sorry, I'm afraid that didn't do it. :(

I get my daily digest in the mail again now, but the notification list on the site still doesn't update.

I'm adding a screen shot, where you see the last post notification listed from July 23rd and then only Dev's magical posts but not all posts to this thread.

ps. You both are lovely! Thank you.

notifications_screenshot.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now