• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Pallas

FtM exercises?

Pallas

Are there any exercise tips for getting more a physically shaped male body? 

Not super muscular, just toned. 

Like getting noticeable abs, fitter/slimmer legs (less fat, more muscle) and more muscular arms? 

So a slim-ish look, but it's clear some work-out has been done to maintain oneself. 

I used to do martial arts a lot but once a week for an hour is clearly not enough. 

The question is therefor also... 

How often do the exercises need to be done and how many? 

(example: 10 sit-ups every day or jog for 30 minutes or... Etc.) 

Thanks in advance! 

Jackie C.

OK, you're going to want to work your upper body a bit harder than you usually would. Building muscle mass there will help square your body out. You can't forget your legs, but not shape your backside too much.

I'm working towards toned. Here's a picture of me with some of my gym friends:

https://www.transgenderpulse.com/forums/gallery/image/13878-img_7460jpg/

If you can't tell, I'm the tall dorky one in back. Now then, that physique is the result after training five days a week for about a year. My sessions last two to three hours and consist of twenty minutes of cardio, weights in the middle, and another twenty minutes of cardio at the end. Pre-COVID-closing-everything I could press about 300 pounds in a squat-lift. I weighed about 210 at the time for reference. The lovely woman in front can do more than that and she used to lift professionally.

So, with that in mind you're going to want to protein load for muscle mass and spend at least an hour a day working. I usually do four sets of 20 reps during my weightlifting routine, but if you're doing your form correctly, the right answer is "the biggest weight you can comfortably lift for as long as you can." The small woman in front taught me that. Pull, squeeze/hold as long as you can stand it, relax, repeat. That will build lean muscle and give you definition. The diet will help you build mass and targeted exercises will put that mass where you want it. Personally, I vary my routine from day to day when I can (stupid pandemic) to keep myself interested.

So yeah. Diet. Exercise. Correct form for building muscle (I strongly suggest a personal trainer to give your on-site guidance) and hard work. Good luck!

Hugs!

Pallas

@Jackie C.  Thanks so much for your response, Jackie!  (May I call you Jackie?)

Checked out that photograph and you all look so great! :D 

Wow, that's quite some work-out!
I don't know how much I can do in a day, I have hypermobility coupled with chronic pain+exhaustion. So I quickly get exhausted even from simple tasks, but I really want to do my best. If I have a clearer picture of what to do personally and a good example, then I think that would help me a lot. It'll take me a lot longer than for "normal" people, but I can get used to that.

Protein load? Well, I already did lose some weight some years ago from cutting carbohydrates and eat more protein at the very least. It also gives me a bit more energy.
What other ways do you suggest for me to consume more protein-based food (etc.) instead of anything else?

An hour a day, I'll do my best with that, thanks again!

What do you exactly mean with "four sets of 20 reps"?
I'm not too familiar with certain terms or abbreviations, unfortunately.

Will these exercises also help with getting a slimmer belly with some toned muscles?
I feel that's a lot harder naturally to get even the slightest abs for physical females, it's something I have struggled with and always wanted.

With personal trainer, do you mean like at a fitness gym of sorts?

Carrie

Hi

It is possible also to find a personal trainer while they are expensive you might just have a consult to set up a comfortable routine just for you. You do not need to workout with that person every time just find a starting routine and get them to update it as you think you need it that will cut down on costs.

Most gyms will have someone like that to help you. After all it is in their best interest to keep you happy.

Just a thought

Carrie

Pallas

@Carrie Thanks for your advice as well, much appreciated :)

Jackie C.

Of course you can call me Jackie.

Ray has a six pack. She put her shirt back on for the picture, but she is ripped. She's 68 years old, 5' nothing and about 100 pounds. She also used to be a policewoman, a professional bodybuilder and a personal trainer. I am in awe of this woman and cannot believe she chose to approach me as a friend. I feel blessed.

OK, so reps are repetitions. I do a particular exercise twenty times, then rest for 30-45 seconds and do it again. A set is just a group of reps. So my twenty... let's say squats is one set. Once four sets of squats are done, I move on to the next exercise. I'm targeting different muscle groups with each exercise and I don't do every exercise every day. For abs it's going to be crunches. Front and both sides. You need to engage those abdominal muscles so it's crunch, hold, repeat. Put your hand over them while you work at first so you can feel them engage. Once you get an idea of what working the muscle group feels like you won't need the extra feedback.

You're right that it is absolutely harder to build muscle mass as a woman. It just means you have to work at it harder than the guys do. (Oh look, a metaphor for life.) You can absolutely get there though.

For protein, I drink a protein fortified shake either with or for one of my meals. For example, my diet allows for some extra carbs today so I had a shake with my waffles. Two cups of almond milk (I'm lactose intolerant) and two scoops of whey protein powder. Then two gluten free waffles with butter and syrup. My wife has celiac disease so we don't have wheat products in the house either. That's probably going to keep me until dinner with MAYBE a snack in the afternoon. That's 46g of protein and four of my eleven allotted servings of carbs. If I have a snack, it'll probably be something like deli ham wrapped in cheese or maybe some peanuts. Dinner is going to be bacon-wrapped chicken over rice with stir-fry vegetables. I might have a cookie for dessert. I use an app on my smartphone to keep track of my food intake and make sure I get all the nutrients I need to build muscle mass and stay healthy. I need my body to burn fat for fuel so I limit carbs (11 servings today) and make up the difference with protein. A big advantage to protein is that your body doesn't have a mechanism to store it so it doesn't end up as fat if you indulge. So yeah, protein shakes and lean meats all the way. I'm losing about a pound of fat a week between my exercise and diet plan. I still have a ways to go, but I'm making progress and having fun.

As for your hypermobility, do your best. If you need to stop, stop. I worked my way up to where I am now from. Wow, OK, I was nearly 300 lbs, 48 years old and hadn't exercised... ever. I'm also asthmatic. I started slow. I walked three miles on a treadmill and alternated that with a cardio dance/weight routine. Then I just kept at it. I joined a gym when the treadmill broke down. I had a fun conversation with the sales guy about, "You'll never use a treadmill." Um, I used it until it literally broke down. I'd still be using it if it didn't need serious servicing.

That's the real secret. It doesn't happen overnight so you've got to keep going at it. Even after you get the results you want. On the plus side, now I can hold a squat basically forever. My knees start screaming at me before the muscles do.

Hugs!

MaybeImHigh

Pull-ups all the way. That was my main workout before my egg cracked. They build your lats which give you that  V-shaped upper body that most men want. If you can't do them yet then this video may help:

Or just search for pull-up progression

Jackie C.

If you have access to a gym, there's also a machine that allows you to do assisted pull ups. A series of counter-balances and weights take some of the load off for more reps. You can use it to work your way up to your full weight.

Hugs!