• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Post Op Books

Dinaki

I want to read books , romance, drama , about a woman post op. Are there any books you may recommend to me?  (preferably at Apple books so I can read them from my iPad).

• Forum Moderator

Hi Dinaki, I enjoyed this book that was written in 2000, the woman does have the operation and lives happily ever after in,

Trans-Sister Radio by Chris Bohjalian

C

Omg I loved that book and refer to it periodically...another similarity...omg I never knew anyone else who knew of the book. Yes Dina it is well worth the read.

Thank you all for the recommendation. 

I was thinking that many others were also referring to me about other books, perhaps they are none of them  written.

there are but Trans Sister Radio is the only one that comes to mind. A couple movies have been ok but nothing that I'd recommend that I've seen that I think you might like. Transamerica and Normal were ok but not very real in regard to the facts.

• Forum Moderator

Hi Dina, of course moving forward to 2003 is Jenny Boylan's classic (imho) "She's not there", Jenny describes her life in a family setting as a post op woman, teacher, and musician, and how she got through her surgery. I cried reading that book, she writes so well. I had the pleasure of meeting Jenny and hearing her do a live book reading in front of our group one night in Seattle....I am sure are others out there, just takes a little digging.

Cyndi

Jenny is Amazing and I too cried.....

Sarah McBride's book is autobiographical, not fiction, but there's some romance and drama in it.  "Tomorrow Will Be Different"

Don't know that one...something to look?forward to reading.

Thank you

Heather Shay

On 8/27/2020 at 2:09 PM, Cyndee said:

Hi Dina, of course moving forward to 2003 is Jenny Boylan's classic (imho) "She's not there", Jenny describes her life in a family setting as a post op woman, teacher, and musician, and how she got through her surgery. I cried reading that book, she writes so well. 

I'm finally reading this and it's quite good so far. 

@RhondaS. I think you will like it it is a classic. Another book I found quite good is "My brother, My sister" I forgot the authors name but we'll written also "My Husband Betty"

• 2 weeks later...

@Dinaki @Cyndee @RhondaS 

I was reading a post about 2 of our membrs who are ex-military and the common thread with trans who join the military tends to be trying to over compensate thinking being mucho will help. And it reminded me of another very good book I read by an ex-Navy Seal - Kristen Beck. The booked is called Warrior Princess and is very good. I highly recommend it and watching some of the videos where she still shows ladies how to protect themselves and for SEAL training.

• 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 64 Guests (See full list)

• shelly_koleva83
    • Cyndee
    • Jackie C.
    • QuestioningAmber
    • Rowan.
    • ElizabethStar
    • Kylie
    • JoniSteph
    • Beverly
    • JustineM
    • RunValRun
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Lonewolf
    Newest Member
    Lonewolf

1. ghost
      ghost
      (57 years old)
    2. Julia Marie
      Julia Marie
      (29 years old)
    3. juliasvw
      juliasvw
      (49 years old)
    • Jackie C.
      Oh sweetie. Big hugs.   Take it a day at a time. I used to be 299.8 pounds. I never QUITE crested into 300+ territory, but I was headed that way. I'm down to 188.6 as of my last GYN appointment.   So, here's what I did to slim down:   Get Active: This one sucks. Not going to lie. I'm still kicking the rust off after two years. I'm going to get to where I want to be, physically but it's going to take time. You have to keep working at it. On the plus side, it gets easier as you go. PRO TIP: Find someone who knows what they're doing to teach you. I started with $20 and a video I purchased from Amazon. I couldn't do the whole thing at first, but I got there. Now I train with my friend Ray. She used to compete when she was younger. Watch Your Calories: My phone came pre-loaded with an app that I can use to track calories in/calories out and where I'm getting those calories from. No matter what health problems you might have, your body still has to obey the laws of thermodynamics. Cut down on carbs. Load up on proteins. The protein helps you to feel full and your body can't stockpile it the way it can hoard fats and carbs. Drink Plenty of Liquids: When you feel hungry, drink a glass of water (or two) first. It's easy. It's cheap. It's healthy. A ridiculous number of Americans have a weak thirst reflex. Our bodies tell us we're hungry when we're really thirsty. Keep At It: This one is super important. You need to keep working at it. At least four days a week. Don't give up. OK, now here's where I cheated a little: When I started, I paid for a four week course of laser liposuction. It's cool lasers and vibration and was pretty affordable (~$200). I did that because I knew that if I didn't see results, I'd give up and I really didn't want to give up. I couldn't get healthy for deadname, but I could do it for Jackie.   Now, i didn't give up junk food, I'm just careful about it. Once in a while, I'll have a bag of chips (personal size, we're not talking about a family bag), a cookie, or I'll share a bowl of ice cream with my spouse. Maybe even a slice of cheesecake. However, it's not every day and I plan for it. If it doesn't fit into my allotted carb/fat/protein ration for the day, I don't eat it. Period.   See if you can get a friend to help you. I was alone when I started, but I much prefer working out with friends. Best of luck sweetie! Wish you lived closer, I could be your exercise buddy.   Hugs!
    • shelly_koleva83
      Hey!   That is great! I am happy for you! Wow! Incredible! I am speechless! That is so rare this days - the good news, the news about acceptance and love!    Wish you a lot of love, strength and courage in the future!    Hugs! 
    • Rowan.
      @VickySGV You're welcome  Happy to help. I was able to locate the envelope icon that you mentioned. This appears to be a feature that enables one-to-one communication. This is good to know. I haven't been a member of a forum like this for a decade and a half. While they're pretty easy to use, I do like know the little hidden niceties.   @Petra Jane  Thank you for pushing out a fix so quickly! Super-web-dev skills activate  No I'm feeling a bit guilty about what I have done to your inbox... oh my! All the sorries!   I'll probably write my message sometime today. But to sum it up very briefly: The work you are doing here is important, helpful to me, and very appreciated. Thank you <3
    •  Kylie
      @Jackie C. I had granulation tissue she had to excise and use silver nitrate on. It did not hurt during, but for the 12 hours after it was probably the top 3 most painful experiences of my life. It fees a bit better this morning, albeit I am exhausted and not ready to go back in two weeks for a check up to see if it worked enough to avoid additional treatments. 
    • Shay
      Thank you all in all yesterday was rewarding in many ways especially learning I really am on the right path and HRT is really right for me and 
    • Jackie C.
      I'm kind of hoping that the US collapses just like the Soviets did and we mostly fracture into smaller units along ideological lines. I'd like to accomplish that with a minimum of bloodshed, but I think the military is too pumped for that to be a reasonable expectation.   Best case of course is a massive blue wave that lasts a couple of generations. The Republican party dissolves and the Democrats split into conservative and progressive wings.   Vote like your life depends on it. Because it does.   Hugs!
    • Emily michelle
      I hope everything continues to heal I’m sure it’s painful. Have a good day!
    • Jackie C.
      Really? Other than the point he shoved a q-tip to somewhere around my throat, my GYN appointments have been pretty tame. He pokes around a bit. Maybe takes a sample. Nowhere near the horror stories my wife tells me about her visits. I mean it can be a little uncomfortable, but it's not so bad. Then again, you're probably a bit more raw than I was when I saw my GYN the first time (around three-four months post-op I think) so you're probably more sensitive down there than I was.   Hugs!
    • Bobbie Scott
      Good morning girls. I think the hormones are kicking in again. My breasts are starting to grow again.  I'm also getting scared of having to come out to more people eventually. So far I've been able to hide the changes. My biggest fear is no one will want to be around me. I hate this pandemic, because even my support groups meet on line. At least they gave me the opportunity to go out in public.  It's like I want the best of both worlds.  I'm really not happy in my male personality. Last  time I got scared and quit.  Been wanting this all my life. 
    • K.S.S
      Hi, so this is pretty uncomfortable for me, talking about food, because it brings up a lot about my father. During my childhood my mother always had between 2 and 4 jobs, so she wasn't really home to see it and we didn't really tell her because we didn't know it was strange behavior. Of course she isn't stupid and confronted him when I started gaining a lot of weight at only age 2. She did her best trying to keep that stuff out of the house by my father had a "secret" cash flow and he would use it to get his own things at the downtown IGA / CVS store. So, my father would be left with just me because my (half)brother moved out/ ran away and my sister had just started preschool. He would just give me candy because I "needed something to do." As I got older, of course I was overweight so when he was angry with me he'd call me things like "ugly pig". When I got my first pair of glasses I became a dumb/ugly/fat librarian. It always seemed to make him laugh. Around my 14th birthday, we kicked him out and moved, but the damage was kind of done. Now I feel like I use food to pass the time AND when I'm upset but when I'm really hungry, (enough that I feel sick) I can't get myself to eat anything. I tell myself not to snack all the time but I still do about every other day. It doesn't help that no matter how often I explain that I'm struggling with my self control, the people I live with (my sister and her fiance) still pack the house with junk food.  I don't know what to do. If I start paying for therapy I'll never be able to afford my own place, and I'm not even sure where I'd go if I did leave. It feels like I don't matter enough to make the effort, I mean if my sister doesn't care why should I?     
    • KymmieL
      Kylie sorry your GYN appointment went so bad. Time heals all wounds. as they say.   kymmie
    •  Kylie
      I hope you have a better day today ❤️
    • Cyndee
      The long and winding road   HUGS   C
    •  Kylie
      Great news @Emily michelle! Hope the increase of E and addition of progesterone give you results!    I am up recovering from the horror from my first GYN appointment yesterday. I love the GYN but hated everything else. Hopefully I heal from that both physically and emotionally!    Hope everyone has a great day!
    • Shay
      Right before electrolysis and therapist appointments my wife said we had to talk. We did and it was a tearful and long discussion but I'm  glad she did. Had I not been on HRT I would have fallen apart but I was loving "in the moment" and gave my complete attention to her concerns.    It drained her and me ... We talked through the electrolysis and I called in to apologize and rescheduled but I did make my appointment with my Therapist and it was a very good meeting.   I am not good with expressing my emotions and she gave me home work to help and she gave wonderful advice to discuss with my wife and welcomed her at any session or alone but felt she isn't ready yet and that we two have more groundwork to do.   I'm lucky. I have a wonderful wife and friends here who understand and co feel so good to finally have a therapist I feel really good about.   I am still drained but hopeful and optomistic
  • Upcoming Events