• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Real Life Experience Before Hrt...

Guest Zenda

Guest Zenda

Kia Ora,

I was going to do this as a poll, but I thought better of it...I didn't want the poll 'lynch mob' come knocking on my cyber door-OMG not another poll... ;):D Besides a thread form 'response' is better for this type of question...

:rolleyes: Even though HRT is important for most of us when affirming our gender identity in public, there are some members who have done or are at present doing the Real Life Experience[that is living full time as their preferred gender] without HRT...

Two come to mind, Allison D and Joanna P, both have experience living full time without the use of HRT from what I gather [from reading one of her posts] Allison D didn't even know that there was such a thing as HRT back when she first transitioned... B)

I also have a friend here in Aotearoa who transitioned at the age of 17 to live full time, I think she had lived for around 3/4 years as a female prior to being prescribed HRT...

I realise that there are more F2Ms who do it without HRT than ther are M2Fs...Is it easier for the trans-male???

Just out of curiousity do any of you[M2Fs & F2Ms] think you could just bite the bullet and live full time without HRT???

Metta Jendar :)

Howdy Jendar, (Texan for hello)

I had thought about that in case I found out that HRT would be a major health risk.

I would then just go about transitioning in my mind as I have been doing and just begin dressing as my true gender.

It would not be ideal in my mind but compared to just continuing exactly as I am is not really an option anymore - I would go full time without HRT if necessary.

Love ya, (friendly for I will talk to you later)

Sally

Guest praisedbeherhooves
Kia Ora,

I was going to do this as a poll, but I thought better of it...I didn't want the poll 'lynch mob' come knocking on my cyber door-OMG not another poll... ;):D Besides a thread form 'response' is better for this type of question...

:rolleyes: Even though HRT is important for most of us when affirming our gender identity in public, there are some members who have done or are at present doing the Real Life Experience[that is living full time as their preferred gender] without HRT...

Two come to mind, Allison D and Joanna P, both have experience living full time without the use of HRT from what I gather [from reading one of her posts] Allison D didn't even know that there was such a thing as HRT back when she first transitioned... B)

I also have a friend here in Aotearoa who transitioned at the age of 17 to live full time, I think she had lived for around 3/4 years as a female prior to being prescribed HRT...

I realise that there are more F2Ms who do it without HRT than ther are M2Fs...Is it easier for the trans-male???

Just out of curiousity do any of you[M2Fs & F2Ms] think you could just bite the bullet and live full time without HRT???

I've been living as a guy for about a yearr without hormone reconstruction therapy, though around six months ago I started hormone blockers. I do plan to eventually start hormones though.

i'd do what i had to do to get what i need, i'd play their game if i had to. i wouldnt like it though, cause i'd feel like i'm furthering the stereotype that being a transexual always means a crossdresser that wants (notice the lack of 'needs') a sex change. i want it to be clear i'm not a crossdresser, i didnt like drag as a male, and i wouldnt like it as a female.i just want to be a girl, no padding. but like i said, i'd do what i had to do. and let it be also noted i am totally fine with crossdressers, they are really cool people, and i dont want to belittle (sp?) their part in our community. i just want those outside to know the difference. i dont want lables that arent mine, thats all i'm saying. i'd feel the same way about being called a super-gay dude. love gay guys, i'm just not one.

Guest Donna Jean

Well, Jendar......

I could get my car to Pittsburg by pushing it! But it sure would be easier if I had some fuel in it!......lol

I think that the same goes for HRT.....

It would happen without.....

Just easier with!

Hugg...........

Donna Jean

I have been full time mostly stealth for two years without HRT. It's probably easier for us than for you ladies. For me, I just look a few years younger than I am, but it's not obvious at all that I'm trans unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

Guest Charlene_Leona

I just had the displeasure of spending a week off of my estrogen because my pharmacy & insurance company was playing games with me. It was the first time in three plus years that I had to go without my hormones, and I mean both since I'm one year post orchiectomy. I was an emotional wreak as well as a total pregnant dog. I will tell you there is a different mindset that you fall into when your taking your correct hormone. I lost that level peaceful place that my estrogen gives to me.

I don't think I could have done and gone as far as I have without HRT, there is no other real choice for me in my transitional journey.

Guest Elizabeth K

Hey Cher (Louisisiana for hello);

After I was told I was trans, I would have lived full time - if NO HRT existed - regardless. With the HRT there are several advantages, mainly - on a personal level, I have changed tremedously on body and facial appearance, which helps people cue me as a woman. I have a gasoline engine (female mind) and have been on diesel (testosterone) forever. Now I run more efficienctly on gasoline (estrogen). And finally the idea of being 100% chemically female has had a huge affect on me psychologically.

So A plant grows fairly well in the dirt out in the yard, rain is random... whatever comes it's way, okay - it survives. But what if it is watered and fertilized regularly?

And I work on the eighth floor of a high rise - I can climb the stairs - or I can take the evevator. Which gets me to where I am going faster?

And some are required to perform in a RLT before they are allowed to use HRT. And that is difficult, but do-able.

Technically I am RLT and HRT now. My therapist is giving me credit because I live full time at home, and out when not in my small town - and I TRIED to out at work (got fired). So she says because my profession will not accept women as authority figures, and I am in transition anyway, she will count my time working as RLE for the workplace (my new job) - and to NOT out, but rather use a don't ask don't tell policy. (I interviewed androgynous - they think I am a married gay male).

Could I JUST BITE THE BULLET and life full time without HRT? Yes if I had to. Many people cannot afford the preliminary theraphy required or the cost of the pills.

Hope this answers your question.

Lizzy

Kia Ora,

Naw, no lynch mobs here :) . I actually chose these forums because of the interactive poll feature plus the blogs and galleries. Polls reach people that wouldn't normally post because they are anonymous. If you don't comment no one knows how you voted. I've learned not to guess possible results because I'd be wrong. The first year here I ran the same poll in chat, the forums, email and with survey monkey and all the results were very different. Go figger. I've found that the truest poll results come from the forums and survey monkey because they are anonymous which gives a truer picture. Survey monkey is more scientific if you word the questions right and run it by an expert first. Anyone here can run a poll. We encourage you to do so. There's no Poll police here. :)

Laura

Guest Evan_J

Hola Jendar (yep, the Spanish hello)

Laura of course said it best, but I was gonna tell you I didn't have a file sayin you'd reached your poll quota :P (I love teasin you, you're good peeps) You are however close to your "self examination", "getting outside of yourselves" and use of the word "Aotearoa" limits :P (I'm an equal opportunity heckler and you've been spared till now and you know I'm just kidding)

But yes, I do think FtMs -when they're younger though- have an easier time passing than MtFs without hrt. Something happens when we get near /at 40 though and all the kings horsemen and all the kings men can't keep the face from taking on this little old lady/middle age lady thing from happening right then unless you hit the testosterone. When you're younger, the right clothes, maybe subdue the chest, and attitude will get you sir and he all day. At that point though you could emit Jean Claude VanDam through your pores and the visual is just not with you. Same dressing, same everything. It's "gone". I think that's why you see the peeps that made it so long without it definately go there then.

Guest _Michael

I've been doing the RLT thing sans hormones for a few months now, with mixed success. It IS easier for transmen because it takes more social cues to be read as female than it does to be read as male. If I'm in a situation that doesn't require speaking, then I will USUALLY get read as a guy. But the second I speak and people hear my voice, I get she'd and her'd. For the mostpart I never feel thereatened or anything, but the constant explaining of your identity gets old after a while.

Guest AllisonD

I had thought about that in case I found out that HRT would be a major health risk.

I would then just go about transitioning in my mind as I have been doing and just begin dressing as my true gender.

It would not be ideal in my mind but compared to just continuing exactly as I am is not really an option anymore - I would go full time without HRT if necessary.

Love ya, (friendly for I will talk to you later)

Sally

Jendar is correct, I was unaware of HRT, or the SOC, or even that there were more trans women than could be counted on one hand on the entire planet at the time I transitioned. I did exactly as Sally said she would, not transitioning simply was not an option. I have come to understand that I was very lucky (in many respects, this is but one) in that my path was so very clear to me. No assistance was available, but then none was really needed either. To contribute to the topic, I would have to say that aggressively searching out a urologist to do the orchi right after high school was a huge step in the right direction for me, likely even more important than estrogens at the time. And that is available to anyone, no letter required, just determination and the fee.

Allison

Guest Martin

I did RLE without T at first. Strangers misgendered me, but I convinced most people in my life to call me the correct name and pronouns. I wasn't consistently gendered correctly by strangers until long after I started T and had top surgery. However, I'm very glad I started living life authentically when I did. I only regret not doing it sooner (I know - I was lucky for doing so at 17, but I would have preferred doing it at a much younger age).

Guest AshleyRF

I did a RLT for about a year when I first moved away to college with no HRT. I don't recommend it or feel it to be useful to anyone to do it this way. Most of the changes brought on by HRT are slow to develop and can be reversed unless you take them for extended periods of time. I see no reason for a therapist to require a RLT prior to HRT. The most I could see a therapist doing is requiring a person to set a deadline for their RLT to begin prior to HRT.

I would hate that. It depends on how long they expected me to do it for. At the same time I kind of already do... I'm open about being a transsexual MTF just about everywhere. I wear tight black jeans and black v-neck t-shirts and have very long hair, and have been "mistaken" (or correctly gendered, rather) as female many times, until they hear my voice.

愛 Eth

Guest Tammy Maher
Kia Ora,
Hey Cher (Louisisiana for hello);

I could go with most of these (except your own Kia Ora of course), but I think I'll do it this way... From the Inland Areas Of So. Cal (Farther down than LA) Almost mountains/desert area...

Sup? *Mid-five with fist pound* (A mid-five is about hand-shake level "high"-five)

(That is how I greet all my friends when i see them offline)

As for your interesting question I have a few of my own before I can develop a full response.

1. Without HRT, are other "surgical" things still allowed? (Implants? Tracheal Shave? FFS? Electrolysis for hair removal? Ect...)

2. Am I allowed to use the women's bathroom/changing room (at the the gym or public pool kind of place for changing room) as I am a girl?

3. Am I allowed to get my legal paper-work done?

That is all for now, but I know there were more... SLEEPYNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(=.=)-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Geni

Guest Zenda

Kia Ora Jenelle,

1. Without HRT, are other "surgical" things still allowed? (Implants? Tracheal Shave? FFS? Electrolysis for hair removal? Ect...)=YesFrom what I gather there are some trans-people who are not on HRT but have had some type of surgery and are living full time...

2. Am I allowed to use the women's bathroom/changing room (at the the gym or public pool kind of place for changing room) as I am a girl? =Yes I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are doing this...

3. Am I allowed to get my legal paper-work done?=YesAgain it would depend if the state you live in would allow you too...

This thread is just to see how 'comfortable' trans-people would be doing the RLE without HRT and if HRT was not a possible option [say for medical reason] I guess surgical transformation would be the next best thing for those who could afford it...

Guest Joanna Phipps

Ya'at'ah... Navajo for hello

I really didnt have a chance to tell my team otherwise. I was told the I was doing 2 months RLE before HRT, well that date comes up next week and according to my shrink he has cleared the paperwork for me to begin HRT. However, and this is the big change for me, HRT or not this transition has to happen.

If I dont continue, the results wont be pretty... uber depression and who knows what else. My therapist commented on how much happier I am since my GID has been diagnosed and I have begun the transition.

Guest Zenda

Laura of course said it best, but I was gonna tell you I didn't have a file sayin you'd reached your poll quota :P (I love teasin you, you're good peeps) You are however close to your "self examination", "getting outside of yourselves" and use of the word "Aotearoa" limits :P (I'm an equal opportunity heckler and you've been spared till now and you know I'm just kidding)

But yes, I do think FtMs -when they're younger though- have an easier time passing than MtFs without hrt. Something happens when we get near /at 40 though and all the kings horsemen and all the kings men can't keep the face from taking on this little old lady/middle age lady thing from happening right then unless you hit the testosterone. When you're younger, the right clothes, maybe subdue the chest, and attitude will get you sir and he all day. At that point though you could emit Jean Claude VanDam through your pores and the visual is just not with you. Same dressing, same everything. It's "gone". I think that's why you see the peeps that made it so long without it definately go there then.

Kia Ora Evan,

:rolleyes: "Oh you are naughty...but I still like you !" ;)

PS I haven't forgotten you promise of a dinner date when you come to Aotearoa[The land of the long white cloud]...

Most here know where i stand on the RLT before hormone issue. There is no way i would have been able to do RLT prior to hormones, my body was just too masculine to do that without the effects of the hormones softening my features, i been on hormones 15 months and have been living as Paula full time except at work the last 5, i telecommute and still use his voice so i don't consider myself full time officially yet, those that know and see me all the time still see him, those that don't know me see Paula and i get ma'am'd all the time.

I don't know where i would be right now if i had to do RLT before hormones, it's not something i like to think about.

Paula

Guest Zenda

Kia Ora,

If we think about it, through out history trans-people have been living full time without HRT or surgery-Especially F2Ms who enlisted in the military-Here's a few famous trans -people that I came across on the net plus a bit about what 'some' believe to have been the first 'gender reassignment surgery'...

Elagabalus

Rated as the 2nd worst Roman Emperor after Caligula, Elagabalus (204-222) a young successor to Marcus Aurelius was transgender.

Historically recorded as hedonistic and regularly cross-dressed.

Elagabalus was dragged away with his mother by soldiers and murdered at the tender age of 18.

It is possible Elagabalus had sex-change surgery as Roman doctors at this time became very skilled in cosmetic surgery. This would have made Elagabalus the first and only ever Roman Empress!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxx

The idea that plastic surgery is a new skill for transsexuals is untrue....

Claudius Galen (131-201 AD) was a Greek physician who went to Rome and revived the ideas of Hippocrates and other Greek doctors. He studied at the famous Egyptian medical school of Alexandria.

At the age of 28, Galen became the surgeon to a school of gladiators but in 161 AD he moved to Rome and remained in the city until his death, aged 70. His contribution to medicine and expert surgical techniques learnt from treating the horrific injuries the gladiators suffered enabled him to possess surgical skills few others could match, it is interesting that this still applies and war offered expertise almost 2000 years later to Sir Harold Gillies, internationally renowned as the father of modern plastic surgery,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Female to Male TS Colonel Sir Victor Barker D.S.O 1895 - 1960 Marries Elfrida Haward in Brighton

Valerie Barker was born in Jersey in 1895 but she was educated in England after her family moved to Surrey. She always wished to have been born a boy. In 1923 Valerie left her common-law husband and family and with a full set of new suits and shirts, collars and ties moved into the Grand Hotel in Brighton as Sir Victor Barker Bart. DSO where he was joined the next day by his fiancee Elfrida Haward. They were "married" at St Peters Church in Brighton on the 14th of November 1932. Always living above his means Sir Victor was indicted for bankruptcy and discovered to be a woman when imprisoned, eventually being found guilty of "knowingly and willfully causing a false statement to be entered into a register of marriage." After this Victor Barker was forced into lower and less well paid jobs; changing his name he took more and more menial work and in 1934 served a sentence for petty theft when living as John Hill in Henfield. Three times in his life he sold his story to the popular press for money and even appeared as a circus attraction as The Man-Woman, but eventually died poor but forgotten in 1960 as Geoffrey Norton. At his own request he is buried in an unmarked grave in Kessingland churchyard near Lowestoft.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxx

The most famous transgender of the eighteenth century, French diplomat Chevalier Éon de Beaumont lived the first half of his life as a man and the second as a woman. Charles de Beaumont, Knight of Eon, 1728-1810. As a secret French agent, went to Russia one has secret mission for Louis XV, and was lady companion to the Empress Elisabeth. He fought in the Seven Years war, and was later secretary to the French ambassador to London. On his return to France (1777) Eon was ordered to dress permanently as a woman, which He did until his death