• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Still Working On Lowering My Female Voice

Guest Hanayuki

Guest Hanayuki

Hey everybody, I've been working on my female voice for 10 months on my own, and I found out that these 10 months were a total waste of time, because I was doing it wrong. Anyways, I realized that my own technique wasn't getting me any closer to a female voice and that's when I found out about Candifla's video logs where she teaches people how she learned to do her female voice.

So, I have been working on my female voice using her technique for the past 2 months and I've had quite good results up to now... But now, I am in a female range, but I am not totally sounding female, it's pretty weird. My voice is already less breathy, compared to how it first sounded. According to Candifla, you can speak louder and project your voice easier if you bring your voice down a little bit and lower the pitch. Now, I realize many people said that pitch isn't the most important in your voice, but mine is definitely too high. Using a spectogram, I found out that my pitch is between 270 and 300 Hz. The normal female range is supposed to be between 180 and 220 Hz. At the moment, I just make voice recordings and I keep speaking in my current female voice, hoping that my vocal chords just need to adapt to my new way of speaking. I don't know if that will help make my voice a little deeper though. Whenever I try to lower my voice to that normal female range, I bump back into my male voice,which sounds really ugly... Does anyone have tips or something I can do now? Will my voice still improve if I simply keep talking in my current female voice? Listening back to older recordings, I found out that my voice is already way less breathy and lower too. But my voice hasn't changed in the past 2 weeks, so I'm afraid I'm not making anymore progress.

Thanks for reading, sorry my post is so long :P

Oh, and by the way, I work on my female voice for a really long time every day. I normally work on my female voice for like 3 hours a day... I really want to achieve good results fast... This Halloween for instance, I'll go to a party dressed as a girl and I'll just be ridiculous if I use my male voice...

I would also be interested in knowing if anyone who used Candifla's method had any success and how long it took them... Thanks in advance, and byes ;)

Guest Hanayuki
Honey.....

I'm sorry that no one posted to you yet....

I just got here this morning so I'm going to give you a hand.....OK?

Now.....Lizzy (Elizabeth K) has an excellent post on voice and you should hear her talk...it's amazing....so, who better to learn from?

Look here....

http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/in...?showtopic=9921

Let me know what you think.

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

It's okay lol

Lizzy's post was pretty helpful and it helped me find out what I was doing wrong, when I first read it a few weeks ago.

She actually explains WHY you are doing all of these exercises, which nobody else did. I felt like I was just doing what I was being told on Stealth Productions, Finding your female voice, without knowing why.

And while I appreciate your answer, I really do, it still doesn't help me lower my female voice... At the moment, I'm singing a lot and I noticed I can hit lower notes already, but when I do, I sound really dopey and it's an ugly sound... Maybe the muscles in my throat just need more time to get used to singing/speaking from a different place. =)

*sigh* I don't even want to speak anymore. I can pass as a female, as long as I don't open my mouth...

I have 13 days left to complete my female voice... Hopefully I will make it lol

Guest Elizabeth K

'Lowering" is not the usual question - and it seems the problem is a sqeeky upper voice that sounds contrived? I have the same problem with my natural caugh, my laugh and a sneeze which all tend to drop into male sounding lower sound. The only way I can help that is to train to use my upper chest - never get into the diaphram. I take a deep breath before every sentence and try talking from the air in my lungs - its something that needs to be learned and it takes a while to master it. You can then bring you voice down from the higher almost fausetto sound.

So see if it works for you - a smaller air volume so the lower tones don't resonate as much.

Maybe - good luck

Lizzy

Guest Hanayuki
'Lowering" is not the usual question - and it seems the problem is a sqeeky upper voice that sounds contrived? I have the same problem with my natural caugh, my laugh and a sneeze which all tend to drop into male sounding lower sound. The only way I can help that is to train to use my upper chest - never get into the diaphram. I take a deep breath before every sentence and try talking from the air in my lungs - its something that needs to be learned and it takes a while to master it. You can then bring you voice down from the higher almost fausetto sound.

So see if it works for you - a smaller air volume so the lower tones don't resonate as much.

Maybe - good luck

Lizzy

Actually, the problem is that the pitch of my voice is way too high... Even though I have been told that pitch doesn't matter, my voice definitely sounds way too unnaturally high... And I simply can't lower it further without breaking into my male voice... So I was hoping that somebody might have tips or something...

It is really bugging me... My voice does sound contrived because it is too high...

But anyways, thanks for trying to help me :)

Actually, the problem is that the pitch of my voice is way too high... Even though I have been told that pitch doesn't matter, my voice definitely sounds way too unnaturally high... And I simply can't lower it further without breaking into my male voice... So I was hoping that somebody might have tips or something...

It is really bugging me... My voice does sound contrived because it is too high...

But anyways, thanks for trying to help me :)

Try to become aware of the muscles in the upper back of your throat and the sides. They really affect resonance. I'm not really sure about ways to practice using them, as I got used to them by playing woodwind instruments - learning altissimo notes (really high, out of the normal range of an instrument) really requires fine control over those muscles to get them to sound right. I've also found, that sometimes the best thing to do when practicing is to actually practice the opposite some. How did I learn how to play high well on clarinet? By practicing soft low notes. And playing soft high ones to get a better sound down low. It thinks it's because it really gets you aware of how the two states feel, allowing you to move your muscles better.

It's a little like trying to learn to wiggle your nose. You start by trying and watching what muscles move on your face. If you place a finger on the muscles that should move or on the ones that shouldn't be, you start to become more aware of the individual muscles rather than the groups. I actually learned how to wiggle my nose this way.

So here's what I do. I start every time, talking in a male voice for about 30 seconds. Then I go up really high (as high as I can go, which is really high) and then start coming down. I try to keep resonance out of it - it's very important to take shallow breaths, those are the kind of shoulders raise up a bit breaths (you probably take these in less you play a wind instrument). If the resonance slips back in, I try to keep it in the cracks for as long as I can - this helps me remember how it feels when I slip out. Then I go back to male and start over.

Another thing I like to do is find nice recordings of jazz standards. Instrumental jazz though, not singing. It works really well though if it's a song that's often sung. Like 'Bye Bye Blackbird' for example. I find that trying to sing along with them in kind of a speaking voice helps me with both range and not being monotone. If you search 'Miles Davis Bye Bye Blackbird' the first result (uploaded by DrMabuse06) is a recording I really like. I tend to naturally fill in spaces with some improved lines though, it comes with being a jazz pianist I think. I tried doing more scat-like singing. It doesn't work very well. Stick to 'bah', and 'do'.

These are just some things that have seemed to work for me. So I hope you find one of them to be helpful. :)