• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Told A Friend.

Guest Adrian

This one is of a group of friends of mine from secondary school who are not a particularly open minded bunch, but like to think they are.

Despite claiming, in a manner of speaking, that she had her suspicions, my friend then went on and on (the way she does) lecturing me about the steps I should take when, and that I should watch this, and read that, and do the other... Then starts dictating her own perceptions of what it is to be a man onto me.

Bear in mind, this is a girl who knows nothing of being trans, and actually precious little about men in general if we're being honest.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a whole lot of enthusiasm, and I know I should be glad she still wants to know me, but quite frankly I am a very headstrong and sometimes downright stubborn guy who takes precious little advice from the people he perceives to have as little or less knowlede as himself on the subject at hand. I tend to go my own way and follow my gut, plus I keep quite a lot close to my chest. The fact that I'm biting the bullet on this one and sharing myself with people is a sign that I take this all very seriously. I resent the patronising implication that I casually decided one day that I'd quite like a sex change, thank-you-very-much. I wish she could, if not understand the matter in itself, at least trust that I understand a fair bit more than I'm getting credit for and that her influence is not especially helpful or even comforting. I'm so used to and so very sick of everybody I know considering that I make fickle decisions; I don't. I may be childlike in many ways, but that isn't one. The vast majority of the time I am perfectly able to make my own judgements on where to go with my own life, so I quite resent the uninvited interference of those who've deluded themselves into thinking they know me better than I know myself. If this is selfish, then selfish I am - but so be it, if it distances me from the prying of people who's capacity to understand is inflexable.

For now I will exersize patience, but to be frank I hold out little hope that people who immediately start reeling off all the negatives will ever re-allign their perceptions to a suitable degree. <_<

Guest rachael1

Hi Adrian,

It sounds like you and your friend are both head strong.

Anyone who isn't trans can never understand what we are going through but you should take comfort that at least your friend is trying to understand and is still being loyal and remaining such. If I were you I would be happy that her opinionated manner is the biggest problem you have since you came out to her, since a lot of friends would have run away at a rate of knots.

Just my opinion anyway.

Rachael

• Admin

Adrian, people have sooo many misconceptions about what it means to be trans, and why

we want to transition. They think its all about sex, or mid-life crisis, or a hundred other

reasons. They don't think those things to be mean, its just such a hard concept to

come to grips with.

As Rachael said, non-TG folks will never really understand who we are and why we do what

we do. They can read up on it, even come to terms with it, but really understand? I

think not. So cut your friend a little slack, nod your head and smile when she gives

you all her "great" advice, and do what you need to do.

At least she didn't turn her back on you, as many would have done.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Joanna Phipps

I know several nontrans who have told me they would love to understand whats going on with me. I cant really explain it because so much is well, you know, really understood only by those of us who walk this trail. They will never understand or appreciate what it feels like to reach into your purse or wallet and pull out your bank card knowing full well that your presentation and the name wont line up, or even with the carry letter worrying about check stops or random document checks because none of your ID lines up with how you look. Never mind the minefield that is coming out creates, worries about home, family, community, church, employment and a million other things.

Nor will they ever understand the increasing disphoria and pain that not being able to change your name causes. This is where I am, knowing I have to but having to wait until after a move back to Canada, that means another 8 months of this ID he.ll. I am lucky my pharmacist agreed to change the names on my prescriptions while still billing the insurance under the other name. They may want to know, or may think you will appreciate them better knowing that they have told you they want to understand what you are going through. It is just we don't have the words to explain the pain, disphoria, and other things that we go through. It is just one of those things you have to live to know.

Guest Donna Jean

Face it........

Only Trans people will ever truly understand Trans people...even the therapists that specialize in this condition don't really understand it fully...just the mechanics.....

But person to person, us Trans people can understand each other with a nod because we are of the same substance inside.

MTF-FTM ...we all have a common bond of understanding what each other is going through....

No one else could ever understand the dysphoria, mental anguish and torment that we go through!

It takes one to know one!

LOVE

Donna Jean

How can we possibly expect anyone who is not trans to understand us?

Just look around the forums and you will see that we do not fully understand us.

The term Transsexual gets them started of on the wrong trail and it is very difficult to change the direction of a runaway train.

I only ask for acceptance and tolerance, I have decided that understanding is just beyond reach.

Love ya,

Sally

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 120 Guests (See full list)

• Vidanjali
    • VickySGV
    • awkward-yet-sweet
    • Mmindy
    • Susie
    • Ashley0616
    • Jamey-Heather
    • RaineOnYourParade
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • April Marie
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Vivelacors
    Newest Member
    Vivelacors

1. Aelia
      Aelia
      (22 years old)
    2. Just-Jenny-finally
      Just-Jenny-finally
      (65 years old)
    3. KelcieK
      KelcieK
      (50 years old)
    4. Krimson Kya
      Krimson Kya
      (35 years old)
    5. Robin
      Robin
      (56 years old)
    • Vidanjali
      Welcome, @MAN8791. I relate to this so much. I'm roughly the same age as you, afab & nonbinary. For decades, I beat myself up for being a "broken" girl/woman. And I tried my darndest for many of those years to perform woman successfully. While outwardly I may have seemed "a success", inwardly the effort and dysphoria caused me so much anxiety, panic, and depression that it eventually became unsustainable. For me, the first step was letting go of identifying as "broken". Next, I allowed myself to be however I am. And very rapidly I felt better - in fact, initially I felt ecstatic. The door was open for me to really learn about self-love and therefore love itself. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Well, the counter space in the kitchenette is pretty Limited. But also cost, and usefulness. I guess she is mostly right, and it isn't really important.
    • Vidanjali
      "The Health and Human Services Grants Regulation (HHS Grants Rule) Final Rule protects LGBTQI+ people by clarifying and reaffirming the prohibition on discrimination on the basis of sex – including sexual orientation and gender identity – in specific health and human services programs, consistent with the Supreme Court decision in Bostock v. Clayton County, 590 U.S. 644 (2020)."   https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2024/04/30/hhs-issues-final-rule-prevent-discrimination-health-and-human-services-grant.html
    • Vidanjali
      Wasn't sure whether to post this in the "uplifting news" or "news" forum. This bill is pro-LGBTQ+, albeit 30 some odd years too late with 100s of thousands of lives lost throughout the AIDS crisis. The upshot is that ol' Ron has actually done some good for the community. That's really...something...although I doubt he sees it that way. And most importantly, greater access to screening and care will save many lives.   https://ncpa.org/newsroom/qam/2024/05/01/floridas-governor-signs-bill-expand-hiv-care  
    • Vidanjali
      "The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) updated the federal workplace guidelines after a quarter of a century to protect pronouns, bathrooms and abortion."   https://thehill.com/business/4631184-updated-federal-workplace-eeoc-guidelines-protect-pronouns-bathrooms-abortion/    
    • MAN8791
      Both of my parents were raised in WASP-ish families. What was or wasn't appropriate, with an emphasise on superficial appropriateness (conformity) was verbally beaten into me the second I hit puberty.   Which is really sad as I think back, and was bewildering at the time. I remember being really free to be expressive how I wanted to and then once I started puberty, all of that freedom disappeared and I didn't understand, at all.
    • MAN8791
      I'm doing "beans and rice" for dinner tonight, but it's Punjabi style red bean curry and saffron rice, and I always have an appetizer tray of cut vegetables and dip (seasoned yogurt to go with the theme) on the table.  Might grab a package of naan from the store on the way home, or just make a pan of very american biscuits to go with.
    • MAN8791
      I'm volunteering both days of our Pride Festival (signing other volunteers in, lol).    Taking my two younger kids (oldest is way too cool for school, lol) to a family friendly pride festival, and then turning them loose at the city wide event while I listen to music. They're old enough to experiment with independence and the festival is in a controlled enough space they can feel like they're getting away from me without being *that* far away. My middle is newly out as LGBTQ+ and has been practicing their makeup look for a couple weeks already (age 14) <3 
    • Ashley0616
      Well today was mostly sleeping so far. I woke up at around 0600 and made sure my oldest was ready for school. I came back down on the computer chair and next thing I knew it was 0953. I went through speech therapy for myself. Next thing I realize it's 1300 and apparently went to sleep again. I knew I slept last night but whew apparently not enough. 
    • MAN8791
      Jeans, grey henley, heathered grey blazer with elbow patches, split sole jazz sneakers. Blazer is one of my favorite wardrobe pieces and it's warm but super windy today so perfect sort of day for it 
    • MAN8791
      Fragile is my word of the day. More intense dysphoria than my baseline normal, feeling emotionally on edge. Also ignoring a piece of therapy homework that's actually going to be beautiful when it's done (I'm doing an art piece exploring emotions around the name I was given at birth).
    • MAN8791
      Got accosted in a grocery store parking lot this morning by someone out on a petition drive (in my state, citizens can gather petition signatures to advance ballot measures; I'm always a little cautious about encountering petition drives "in the wild" because unless it's an issue that's been talked about *a lot* it can also be used as a way to just gather voter information).   ANYWAY, the person with the clipboard is presumable cis male and aggressive and I'm AFAB, genderfluid, dressed pretty androgenously this morning and this guy hollars across the parking lot asking "young lady" if I'm a registered voter.   Informed him I'm neither young nor a lady (guy was at least a decade younger than me, maybe more) and wasn't interested in the petition anyway.   "Oh, so I guess you're just offended then."   "YEP!"  
    • Vidanjali
      Welcome @FelixThePickleMan! I admire your ambition to become a K9 handler. Working dogs are fascinating and outstanding. 
    • Vidanjali
    • FelixThePickleMan
      I also struggle with being short (5'2) and everyone around me is taller especially my guy friends. And to my guy friend I pass with them and they're cool with me being trans but I often don't feel man enough and I'ts really hard dealing with the feeling of not being enough, and my mom often makes it seem as if I'm hopping on a trend which isn't true. I wear masculine clothes and sometimes I pass well but a lot of times I don't and that's really a struggle. Some people say I act masculine and others say the opposite, I try to pass but some times it's really hard especially with my mom because she uses my birth name me and uses she her pronouns for me and doesn't let anyone use anything else because they say they're being respectful to her even though she's not there. I remember being in an art group and they use my name Felix and my mom got flaming mad and told me and the people in charge that if they called me Felix again she would revoke my privilege to go there and I'd never go again. So it's often tough to pass all the time. 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.