• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Where Does The Resonance Need To Come From For My Female Voice?

Guest Hanayuki

Guest Hanayuki

Hey everybody,

I realize that I have been asking quite a lot of questions in the voice section, but your answers are often so useful that I can't help it :D

I just read that there should be no resonance in your throat when you're using your female voice =o

But I noticed that when I'm speaking in my female voice, the resonance is in my throat and in my noise...

So, where does the resonance actually need to come from, and how do you get your resonance to come from that place?

Thanks in advance :D

Hey,

I think that the best description of how to get the resonance forward by thinking of the sound actually coming out of the tip of the nose rather than the vocal chords.

The one place that you do not want to feel resonance is in the chest - that is masculine.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Joanna Phipps
Hey,

I think that the best description of how to get the resonance forward by thinking of the sound actually coming out of the tip of the nose rather than the vocal chords.

The one place that you do not want to feel resonance is in the chest - that is masculine.

Love ya,

Sally

I have minimal vibration in my larynx and none in my chest. I guess that means its all in my head... giggles

Guest Hanayuki
Hey,

Love ya,

Sally

Hey, thanks, that actually helps :) I'm trying that right now =D

But when I am speaking, I can feel the resonance in my nose, in my throat and..... a little bit in my chest... Is that bad? The vibration in my chest is way weaker in my female voice than in my male voice... I got rid of the "booming" deep vibration which I feel when I'm speaking in my male voice...

When I try speaking from "the tip of my noise", I sound a little contrived though o.O

I thought that having a little of your resonance in your chest gives you a more natural sounding voice...

Guest nymphblossom

Hanayuki wrote:

So, where does the resonance actually need to come from, and how do you get your resonance to come from that place?

The resonance comes from the head. You can actually feel the vibration in your skull. You get it by reshaping the soft pallet to move the resonance upwards from your chest. There are many ways to develop these muscles including exercises like those by Melanie Speaks and Deep Stealth or learning to sing head voice.

Blossom

Guest Elizabeth K

Blossom and Sally have it - Sally plays trumpet so she knows this stuff. I FINALLY worked so long on my voice (nine months) I got my falsetto sounding natural - well - lower range - and with the softer higher range. It takes retraining muscles - yikes - think of how you cough? Those mucles.

Just a suggestion

Lizzy

Guest Joanna Phipps
Hanayuki wrote:

The resonance comes from the head. You can actually feel the vibration in your skull. You get it by reshaping the soft pallet to move the resonance upwards from your chest. There are many ways to develop these muscles including exercises like those by Melanie Speaks and Deep Stealth or learning to sing head voice.

Blossom

I got mine by singing, working my voice up scale from its old baritone or bass to, now, something in the mid to high tenor range and somedays it gets very near the alto that I used to sing as a kid in chorus. One day, here at work, somthing slipped (either in or out of gear) and my voice had found me, that was wonderful since it was the missing piece of the puzzle.

Guest nymphblossom

Something else I wanted to mention-

You will notice as you train the muscles in your throat, you will begin to develop a slight smile when you speak. Women don't smile because they are happy or want to appear pleasant. It is the natural result of the arch in their soft pallet, and it simply becomes their resting facial expression. Wish I could remember where I read about this :)

Blossom

Guest Hanayuki
Blossom and Sally have it - Sally plays trumpet so she knows this stuff. I FINALLY worked so long on my voice (nine months) I got my falsetto sounding natural - well - lower range - and with the softer higher range. It takes retraining muscles - yikes - think of how you cough? Those mucles.

Just a suggestion

Lizzy

I have a little resonance in my forehead now :blink:

According to Candifla, you need to "bring back some of the maleness into your female voice" but I am having a hard time doing this :(

I don't know how to do this... My voice is in the female range, and I think my resonance is okay too- well sort of, but I still sound a little bit fake :unsure:

I think I need to improve my voice quality- get a brighter/clearer tone as a female...

Does anyone have any idea how to do that?

My current voice is sounding androgynous at the moment :huh: