• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

No-op And/or No-ho Forum

Guest Lynnx

Why have you decided not to medically transition?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. (multiple choice - only check the BIG reasons)

• Low Body gender dysphoria
    • Low Social gender dysphoria
    • Ability to pass without it
    • Don't think I'll pass with it
    • SRS surgeries are unacceptable or incomplete
    • Fear of general social unacceptance
    • Family (fear of losing)
    • Friends (fear of losing)
    • Job (fear of losing)
    • Religion doesn't approve
    • Spiritual reasons
    • Financial reasons
    • Other -please comment

This Poll is ONLY for people who are transgender, identifed with the gender of the other sex,

and are not going to medically change their body (or just change it a little bit, but not "all the way"), and those who are considering living this way.

If this is not you, you can chime in, but we are not going to "dissect" peoples reasons in this post. Our reasons are valid to us.

I marked "Ability to pass without it" and "Other." My "other" reason would be that I like looking somewhat ambiguous in terms of gender. If I take T, I'm pretty sure I won't look at all androgynous anymore, and that's not something I want to lose. As I get older, I fear that I may not pass as well, which is something that's important to me, which is why I'm currently seriously considering going on a low dose of T for a short time and then stopping. So that I look and sound mostly male but still kinda genderqueer.

I should explain my answers too :)

I put ability to pass without it, low body gender dysphoria (I may feel female, or somewhere in between, but I'm not unhappy with my body as such), and I don't think the surgery can do what I'd like it to do if I did go down that road

Guest Ryles_D

With the right top surgeon I can get all my documents changed to an 'M' if I want to, and there's no real FtN bottom surgery. I also don't wnat ot get any more surgeries than I have to, am concerned about messing with an organ system, and don't want any of the long-term effects of T.

OK, my turn. Looking this poll over I should have added a few more things, but i guess "other" will have to do.

I checked low bodydysphoria, SRS surgeries acceptable, Family, and spiritual reasons. The first two are quite common.

The thing about my family... i have a 14 year son and Husband. When i looked into transitioning a decade ago, it would have been easier.... my kid was a toddler and my husband was not so set in his ways with a good job that he feels he needs to protect by presenting a "normal" family. Now it would strain our relationship; he's just not the type to come out of the closet. And my kid would flip... he told me so.

The spiritual reasons are quite odd too. I don't know if you believe in God, talk to God, and if God answers you. But i do. And i asked Him what *i* should do and he said don't change my sex. [note: that's only to me and noone else] That why in the poll i differentiated between "Religious" and "Spiritual". I'm not part of any religion that says your going to hell if you do.

It would be a little more easy on me if i were a male. I could my life as a male and not be too uncomfortable with it....

But thinking more about it I realized that most people are born boy/male or girl/female. And if your born boy/female like i was, the usual thing to remedy it is become boy/male. But i don't really want to be boy/male, although i don't like being boy/female either. I want to be boy/hermaphrodite. Yeah....weird. I think that's the thing that got in the way of realizing that i was a boy for so long. I want to be an in-between-bodied person, and i thought that my gender identity had to be in between too.

so... yeahhh. Talk about a person who can't "fit in", but is tired of not being able to fit in.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked low body and social dysphoria, ability to pass and financial reasons. To be honest having natural, fully developed female breasts is a huge reason for not feeling the need for hrt. For me having breasts (which are too big to hide ) is incredibly affirming and the outward physical and emotional expression of my womanliness. it seemed that my body and social dysphoria sprang from my trying so hard in the past to pass as a manly man which I never was. I never felt I was handsome though looking at photos I guess that I actually was, but as a woman I do _feel_ that I am pretty and I like how I look.

Ricka

Guest SamIThinkIAm

For me ineffective surgeries and other reasons are what is causing my hesitation and possibly my refusal of surgery.

I've been through a lot of surgeries---a lot---in my short life of almost 19 years. Most were major and have left major scars on my body. I'm not looking, if I can help it, to add any more. As a large chested genderqueer guy top surgery would leave, even if I got lost weight, large and ugly scars that would cut into the muscle and ruin the lines. Ergo, I'm hoping that perhaps I can either flatten out my chest with bodybuilding or that I can learn to tolerate and be ok with my chest.

As well I just *don't* like going under for surgery---and as these are major and invasive procedures that won't truly give me the male physique all the way (bottom surgery for FTM's is pretty primitive) anyway I don't think it's worth the risk.

The other reason is that I'm pretty fluid I think---even though I identify primarily as male the fact is I still am genderqueer so am hesitant to start medically transitioning either way because my feelings about my body are subject to change even though for the vast majority of the time complete SRS and top surgery is what I would like ideally. In other words I am afraid of the permanence of any sort of procedure.

In a perfect world I would love to be like Mr. Potato Head and have parts I can pop off and on according to how i feel at the moment :lol:

• 10 months later...
  • Forum Moderator

Ok, I found this thread today and voted.

I marked low body gender dysphoria, and ability to pass with out it.

I have been able to express my feminine side now openly and have been working toward being a complete person.

My body is currently very healthy, and does quite well thank you. I currently feel no need to take hormones or have surgery.

Cindy -

• 4 weeks later...

I have been working by stealth, with the plan to have an orchiedectomy, then start on HRT.,

and in the mean time I am growing my hair (at the moment it is about collar length).Body hair has been removed for

years, plucking eyebrows, and nail polish and pierced ears.

But if I went for the full SRS., my son and daughter would disown me, so that is why it is a very slow process, but

it appears to be working. Time will tell??

Patricia :blowup: :blowup: