• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Not Eating

Guest Alex Blitzen

Guest Alex Blitzen

I guess this is more of a problem than I thought. I tend not to eat.. there are a few reasons including the way I look and sometimes I hope that not eating will somehow result in me not having to deal with anything anymore....

I never really thought of it as that bad to do this, but everyone else does think it's a big deal.

I've gone days without any food now.... it doesn't bother me right now, the hunger pains are gone and I don't feel hungry anymore. I don't like to eat anymore, I feel I am making myself worse by eating. I have a brain tumor that causes me to gain weight and shut my metabolism down.

It's to the point when I do eat, I can't hold it down for long. Which is another reason I just don't feel like eating... I'm sick enough without it.

Hey Alex,

Sorry you got a tumor hun. It must be bad for you knowing that .

But I am sure not eating will not help at all as your body needs the

nutrients and vitimins to fight illness . Have you talked to a therapist re

this??. Everybody"s got a fav food ,one of mine was huge slices of white

bread toasted with cheese and some fried eggs on top, mug of coffee ,

knife and fork . Cant anymore ,freakin Diabetes rules the shopping

trolley . You could try something you really like hun ,,might work.

Hope things get better for you hun , be proactive , you never know . viv :)

Guest Alex Blitzen

i do have a favorite food.... peanut butter, mayo and pickle sandwich... or peanut butter and bacon on toast... but i don't really feel like eating. I haven't talked to my therapist about it, I never felt the need to

You should talk to your therapist about it. The last thing we need is for you to die of heart failure.

If you go long enough without eating, your stomach shrinks quite a bit; I can only eat about 1/2 a meal before I feel like I'm going to burst. Is that the sickness you mean, or do you just mean nausea from eating small amounts? If that, then I've been there. You just have to plow through it, it doesn't last too long, and I've never thrown up from it.

Trust me, anorexia is nothing to ignore, and it seems like you're starting to recognize that its not good. And I can't imagine that anyone who hasn't gone through it can really know how hard it is to fight: how it pervades every facet of our lives and makes us terrible people if we're threatened. I feel somewhat hypocritical saying you should fight it when I'm not really doing much to fight mine (I'm a size 0!), but I realize that my objectivity concerning my own eating habits is shot. You need to at least make your therapist aware of it; there are serious health risks that go with it-- highest mortality rate of any mental illness, I believe.

Guest sarah f

Not eating is bad for you. Some people fast for a period of time to clean out the toxins in their body but that is not a suggested practice. You really need to eat something each day. You can watch your weight buy just eating healthy not straving yourself. Please just think about eating 2 to 3 times a day.

Love,

Sarah F

If you go long enough without eating, your stomach shrinks quite a bit; I can only eat about 1/2 a meal before I feel like I'm going to burst. Is that the sickness you mean, or do you just mean nausea from eating small amounts? If that, then I've been there. You just have to plow through it, it doesn't last too long, and I've never thrown up from it.
I tried to eat today. I ate three almonds and an orange and it did not stay in my stomach for long.

This is why inductive reasoning fails. Shouldn't make conclusions from a subject pool of 1 :P

Guest DisDwarf

If you want to try fasting it's a good idea to talk with a nutritionist to get advice. They will explain to you the consequences of not eating and may suggest a very small daily meal which will keep you healthy, or may give you the information you need to try fasting successfully without endangering yourself.

We eat not just to get energy but also to get some vitamins, minerals, and other stuff which our body needs in order to keep itself alive and well. The body continuously builds new cells, and if it doesn't have the specific vitamins it needs at the right time, it can't produce new cells, so your muscles or even the brain may end up damaged. Some vitamins are also essential for fighting harmful bacteria and viruses, and if you don't get the vitamins from food you end up being threatened by viruses that enter your body.

Some vitamins (A, D, E, K) can be stored in your body for a few days so going without the vitamin for a day won't be destructive, but other vitamins (C, B) have to be taken every day otherwise your body won't work as correctly as it should. You also need other things such as enzymes etc.

Guest Elizabeth K

I fast - and its good and bad.

The best way to fast is don't do more than two days. The third day eat a full meal to get the vitamins and stuff you body needs. Fasting on short spans , especially at first starting of a diet, does two things (1) shrinks your stomach (2) makes your mind-body connection less demanding of food. When you acheive that then you should not totally fast and switch to a low intake diet.

Some religeons require fasting during certain seasons - this originally included the Catholic Church - but if you read the rules, there were safeguards so a person's health was not endangered - plus it was for pentince.

BUT

There is a psychological danger to fasting - and I have accidently gotten into that cycle. Fasting will definately change your body shape - and it does it quicker than simple dieting. If this becomes the reason you fast, then it can become an obsession. Young girls often get anorexia because they dislike their body changes from a girl to a woman - this is usually related to having periods. Often it can be over the new 'padding' they are developing. Somehow they feel 'fat.' Like gender dysphoria, it is a problem of self image.

We trans can get into that trap also.

And I a diabetic. Strangely when I fast my sympoms seem more managable because I am not consuming processed or sugary foods. I don't get as sick. BUT I know I cannot maintain that - as I must otherwise 'eat or die.' Having a lower blood sugar helps me shorttime. BUT some diabetics have a body type that can go hypoglyemic (sp/) - and get into a coma without expecting it. This is a LOW BLOODSUGAR crisis. I carry glucose tablets for that - it comes on very fast!

Finally - extended fasting can affect your internal organs - sometimes irreversably. Prisoner of war sufferers of starvation often had the remainder of their lives with severve medical problems. If the reports are correct, the singer Karen Carpenter died of complications of anorexia.

So fasting can be tricky. That is why a doctor needs to monitor what you are doing. They make you take blood tests to see the health of your body, especially your liver.

I am not against fasting - I do it - cautiously and for short periods of time - especially when I want a 'kick-start' on a diet. BUT I get tons of flack! No one wants to hear the words 'fast' or 'fasting.'

Also - food contains tons of water. DO stay hydrated when fasting! You are not getting water from food when you fast.

Like the Chinesse say - moderation in all things!

PLEASE BE CAREFUL

Lizzy

Guest sarah f

(I tried to eat today. I ate three almonds and an orange and it did not stay in my stomach for long.)

Alex this really is not enough nutrition in your body. If you can't keep this down than you need to go see a doctor and find out what is the problem. I don't know if I would eat an orange if I have been starving myself because the acid in it might upset your stomach. I would try to eat a banana maybe just some crackers. You need to get something in or you will start to get light headed and possibly hurt yourself inside and out. I am not just trying to lecture you but I care about what you are doing to yourself and don't want to see anyone hurt themselves. Try to eat something a litte easier on the stomach today and see how you feel.

Love,

Sarah F

Dear Alex,

I am going to suggest a food that should be virtually impossible to lose.

Mashed Potatoes - un-buttered, a little bland but I had a severe ulcer and when I could eat noting else I could eat mashed potatoes or a baked potato without butter and I was OK.

The Potato is much maligned but it is loaded with nutritional value and if you can drink a glass of milk with it - you are in great shape.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest AltSpin

Wow. This is exactly what I do much of the time. I'm sorry to hear about your tumor. That must make it more difficult. Not sure if there is anything I could do to help given my situation but we are going through much the same thing so let me know if there's anything.

Guest Elizabeth K
Dear Alex,

I am going to suggest a food that should be virtually impossible to lose.

Mashed Potatoes - un-buttered, a little bland but I had a severe ulcer and when I could eat noting else I could eat mashed potatoes or a baked potato without butter and I was OK.

The Potato is much maligned but it is loaded with nutritional value and if you can drink a glass of milk with it - you are in great shape.

Love ya,

Sally

Me too - but when I am having to start up eating again I use chicken broth based soups - and my favorite? Homemade soup with potaotos in it as a thickener - they simmer down and practically dissolve into a wonderful filling meal! I also put in some mild fresh veggies in it for vitt-a-mens - And I eat it with heavy grain bread for fiber. Sets you up again for digesting - no acids - no fats - little seasoning (salt but NEVER black pepper!) - sorta bland but nutritional! Keep the potato peel in too.

SIDE NOTE

I specialize in soup making - recipes are hereby offered! I DO like HOT and SPICY soups - and many I make are South Louisiana inspired. But I grew up in Texas and also have two fantastic CHILI recipes (maybe even better 'n Sally's - no guaranteeeee you understand!).

Hope this helps

Lizzy