• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Connecticut Birth Certfiicate Help

Guest Ryles_D

Guest Ryles_D

The requirement to change your birth certificate in CT involves a surgeon signing an affidavit saying "surgery resulted in completely changing the sex" from one ot the other. I don't know what this means. I called and asked, and the woman doesn't know what this means or what she's talking about.

Does anyone have any idea? This ranges from "It's medically impossible to change your chromosomes and supply working sex organs so you can't change it" to "Eh, well, you aren't really female anymore so you're male now" just from top surgery.

Guest Donna Jean

I have no idea, Hon....

But, I just have to say, that's a pretty vague description to me.

I mean, that's totally up to interpretation!

Good luck with that....

In Ohio (where I am) one can't change the BC at all even after surgery...Period!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest Ryles_D
Sounds pretty vague to me too Ryles.

Are you absolutely positive of the wording?

Did you see this in writing?

Bernie

Yes, I copy/pasted it from the affidavit the doctor has to fill out (and get notarized) to get it changed. The whole thing is this:

AFFIDAVIT OF CHANGE OF GENDER

(This affidavit must be completed by attending surgeon)

I ___________________________________, MD swear the following to be true:

My address is ___________________________________________________________

in the City of _____________________________, State of ______________________;

I am licensed to practice medicine and surgery in the State of __________________;

I have performed certain surgical operations on the person of:

______________________________________, ________________________________,

(Birth name) (Legal name change) if applicable

______________________________________, ________________________________,

(Date of Birth) (State and City of Birth)

The surgery resulted in completely changing the sex of the above said individual

from ________________________________ to _____________________________.

(Birth gender) (Gender Designation)

:angry: It makes me think it was written by someone with no knowledge of transition.

Guest Donna Jean

What the hey kind of form is that????

That's ridiculous!

Well, get your doc to fill it out...I'm a notary and I'll sign it for you...

That's the stupidest "Official" form I've ever seen!

What is that supposed to mean?

Donna Jean

Guest Ryles_D
What the hey kind of form is that????

That's ridiculous!

Well, get your doc to fill it out...I'm a notary and I'll sign it for you...

That's the stupidest "Official" form I've ever seen!

What is that supposed to mean?

Donna Jean

I don't know what it's supposed to mean, either. All I can imagine it would mean (ftM) is if you got a hysto & metoidio/phallo at the same time- but how many guys do that? They dont' even leave room for several doctors to sign it in case each did a different surgery.

I haven't gotten the surgery yet, and probably won't for a few years because of the costs (metoidio is $18,000 apparently). I was hoping I'd luck out and be able to get it changed with top surgery, because I'd heard some people write vague enough letters to change everything, but I don't even know if a hysto would be enough now.... -_-

Guest Kaitlyn88

It seems like a lot of states tend to have MTFs in mind when they make those laws. It's way more expensive and less effective for FTMs and they often don't think to take that into account.

I just learned that the state I was born in (NH) puts that I changed my sex and name on my new birth certificate unless you fight it some how. So I guess that I will have to have a lawyer after all, even though I can't afford one. There isn't much point of changing your birth certificate if it basically says that you are a transsexual on it and you're a lesbian anyways. When it says male you can still legally marry a woman and it doesn't provide any benefit if it still outs you.

Guest Ryles_D
It seems like a lot of states tend to have MTFs in mind when they make those laws. It's way more expensive and less effective for FTMs and they often don't think to take that into account.

That was my guessing. It looks like it's something that fits most MtFs transition, but even then it's a bit iffy and that's not really helpful for FtMs.

I just learned that the state I was born in (NH) puts that I changed my sex and name on my new birth certificate unless you fight it some how. So I guess that I will have to have a lawyer after all, even though I can't afford one. There isn't much point of changing your birth certificate if it basically says that you are a transsexual on it and you're a lesbian anyways. When it says male you can still legally marry a woman and it doesn't provide any benefit if it still outs you.

That is really annoying. It'd be better to just change the name, and pretend that it was a typo or something that you never bothered fixing. :( One nice thing about CT is that they change everything and then lock up the old files. I imagine they can get accessed for a trial or something, but other than that they're locked.

There are only 3 states that will not change the gender marker on your birth certificate, Idaho, Tennessee and Ohio where i live, they changed my name but the marker still says male.

FtM having a hysterectomy in most cases is considered GRS, as many opt not to get metoidio/phallo because of the cost and function. ( my SO is FtM and i have learned a great deal from him.)

The affidavit is so vague it is open to all sorts of interpretation, especially these "I have performed certain surgical operations on the person of" it does not ask what those operations were, and "The surgery resulted in completely changing the sex of the above said individual" it really should say "The surgery resulted in irreversibility changing the sex of the above said individual"

Paula

Guest Ryles_D

Is there any serious risk of legally changing some documents but not others? (changing driver's license and whatever else I can but not Birth Certificate in this case) I imagine I'd have to come out, but will it cause me any serious problems beyond that? It makes me a bit nervous to have them mismatched, but I know a lot of people here aren't able to get everything set up, or are living full time without legal transitioning at all.

FtM having a hysterectomy in most cases is considered GRS, as many opt not to get metoidio/phallo because of the cost and function. ( my SO is FtM and i have learned a great deal from him.)

That is good... I'd hope they'd accept that, although it doesn't make you "completely" male (whatever that means).

The affidavit is so vague it is open to all sorts of interpretation, especially these "I have performed certain surgical operations on the person of" it does not ask what those operations were, and "The surgery resulted in completely changing the sex of the above said individual" it really should say "The surgery resulted in irreversibility changing the sex of the above said individual"

'irreversible' makes much more sense. I really do question the writers' thinking when they wrote this.

• Forum Moderator
I have no idea, Hon....

But, I just have to say, that's a pretty vague description to me.

I mean, that's totally up to interpretation!

Good luck with that....

In Ohio (where I am) one can't change the BC at all even after surgery...Period!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Dee Jay,

I think folks from Trans Ohio are supposed to be working on the birth cert issue. Don't forget that Ohio is still in the Dark Ages, heck they can't even find a match to light da candle LOL....

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Spatial

Well, it seems to be just as vague in Pennsylvania: many guides that I've seen mention that the surgeon just has to write a letter stating that "sex reassignment surgery has been successfully completed" and the person is "now functioning within the newly assigned gender". So, does this mean that getting all the female parts removed suffices that requirement? Hmm...I guess I'm willing to give it a shot if they're unable to provide more detailed information on it.

Guest Ryles_D
Well, it seems to be just as vague in Pennsylvania: many guides that I've seen mention that the surgeon just has to write a letter stating that "sex reassignment surgery has been successfully completed" and the person is "now functioning within the newly assigned gender". So, does this mean that getting all the female parts removed suffices that requirement? Hmm...I guess I'm willing to give it a shot if they're unable to provide more detailed information on it.

Heck, if haircuts counted as surgery I'd say that's enough- you don't need surgery to function as another gender. :mellow: